No announcement yet.

SQ32/31 to SFO in Y on the A350 XWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our seats this time were 47B and 47C, in the emergency row of the rear Y cabin. This meant fantastic legroom, making this ultra-long flight fairly comfortable.

Downside is that there is no direct window view. However, the emergency door has a tiny window through which you can catch a limited glimpse of the wing and winglet:

This aircraft appeared to have the version of Krisworld that I was more familiar with, rather than the newest version on the inbound flight:

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron1984 View Post
      If I'm not mistaken, back during the days of the SIN-LAX & SIN-EWR non-stop flights, they served a pretty substantial "light refreshment" in between 2 full meals. I think they even gave out snack boxes mid-flight. I sound delusional saying this, but I think I remember this happening on the flights I took on those sectors.
      I think I remember them doing this too on my SIN-LAX and LAX-SIN flights, but I'm not 100% sure. This was in the erstwhile Executive Economy, and I think J passengers may have definitely received this extra meal (can't comment on this as I never flew J on those flights).

Comment

Despite the slight delay, we pushed back on time and had a long taxi to runway 28L, where we became airborne at approximately 9:40 AM.

Even though I did not having direct window views, I was still able to lean a bit and see out of the window for Preferred Seat 48A. Here is a view almost immediately after take-off:

Just to try something different, I had requested lacto-ovo vegetarian meals for this flight. While I am not vegetarian, I have had great Indian and Oriental vegetarian meals on SQ during the few times I had them. For breakfast, I was served scrambled eggs with asparagus, mushrooms, and tomato, while salad and fruits were served as sides:

The meal actually wasn't bad! So far, I wasn't disappointed with lacto-ovo catering!
        Last edited by SQGamespeed; 5 January 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Excellent 1st TR SQGamespeed

I agree with others the meal schedules should change. SQ308/318 have similar flight times and are daylight flights too and the meals are served start and end of flight with snacks in between.

I remember also SIN-EWR was lunch, dinner and snack but that's 17-18hrs on average

Comment

Cabin ambience in the front Y section:

Snacks and sandwiches were available throughout the flight. The crew frequently came around offering water and juice keep passengers hydrated; I mention this because this has been a regular procedure on most long-haul SQ flights I have taken, and happened less often on SQ32 for some reason, which I found to be slightly strange.

About 7.5 hours before arrival, dinner was served (sorry, I forgot to take pictures for any of this). My lacto-ovo serving was a rather bland penne pasta, a standard appetiser, and a mediocre cake. While the meal was edible, it was disappointing, and the standard meal choices looked much more interesting. I requested the flight attendant serving my section for a standard choice, and she informed me that I would get it if it was still available after everyone else was served. The choices for main were Western-style beef, or Asian-style prawns with rice and vegetables. The appetiser was smoked salmon with salad, and dessert was panna cotta with strawberry.

Luckily, my choice (prawns) was available, and was provided to me. I am glad I made the decision to choose this meal, as it was far better than the lacto-ovo meal. The prawns, smoked salmon, and panna cotta were all very tasty!
            Last edited by SQGamespeed; 5 January 2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

I agree with others the meal schedules should change. SQ308/318 have similar flight times and are daylight flights too and the meals are served start and end of flight with snacks in between.

I remember also SIN-EWR was lunch, dinner and snack but that's 17-18hrs on average
              Thanks 9V-JKL!

While on SQ32, I was actually frequently comparing the experience with SIN-LHR flights, as the duration was just slightly longer than those flights.
              Last edited by SQGamespeed; 5 January 2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Anyone who has flown across the Pacific Ocean can attest to its sheer size, and it was very evident on this flight as well. Tracking our progress on the 3D maps, I realized we flew over nothing but ocean (although we flew near a few of the Mariana Islands) until we reached the Philippines. By then, we were just 3 hours 45 minutes from arrival, meaning that we flew over the ocean continuously for over 13 hours! The only flights I've spent comparable or longer time over the ocean were from NZ or Australia to the US.

A second round of hot towels was provided just before dinner was served, but I personally wish it was provided close to the end of the flight, where I was feeling quite sleepy.
                Last edited by SQGamespeed; 5 January 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Eventually, the very long flight was nearing its end. One thing I noticed was that despite this being December, no Christmas decorations were in the cabin, and no Christmas music was played during landing. The same was true on SQ32.

It was a busy evening at Changi, and we were put into a brief holding pattern, so we finally touched down on runway 20R at 6:30 PM, about 15 minutes behind schedule. However, we still arrived at the gate ahead of the scheduled time of 6:40 PM thanks to short taxiing. We arrived at T3, which was different from other recent arrivals of this flight, which were at T2.

Despite the long duration of the flight, it took place entirely during the day, and sunset only happened around when we arrived.
                  Last edited by SQGamespeed; 8 January 2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Overall, I had highly anticipated this set of flights, and was not disappointed. Service, hardware, and food (with the exception of my lacto-ovo dinner) were all outstanding. The timing of meals could be better, or perhaps a third meal could be added. However, by and large I enjoyed these flights like most other SQ flights I have taken, and won't hesitate to take them again for future US trips, hopefully in PEY or J.

That wraps up the TR. Thanks for reading! Apologies for a few missing pictures, though.
                    Last edited by SQGamespeed; 5 January 2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

I believe SQ308/318 also has meals served at the beginning and mid-flight (at least in economy), unless things have changed.
                      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                        I believe SQ308/318 also has meals served at the beginning and mid-flight (at least in economy), unless things have changed.
                        You may be right. Its been quite a while since I've flown those flights.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                          Eventually, the very long flight was nearing its end. One thing I noticed was that despite this being December, no Christmas decorations were in the cabin, and no Christmas music was played during landing. The same was true on SQ32.

It was a busy evening at Changi, and we were put into a brief holding pattern, so we finally touched down on runway 20R at 6:30 PM, about 15 minutes behind schedule. However, we still arrived at the gate ahead of the scheduled time of 6:40 PM thanks to short taxiing. We arrived at T3, which was different from other recent arrivals of this flight, which were at T2.

Despite the long duration of the flight, it took place entirely during the day, and sunset only happened around when we arrived.
                          Hmm I took SQ32 on 5 Jan 2017 on 9V-SME, and they still have Christmas decoration.

Anyway, for SQ31, even though it is a full 16+ hours daylight flight, once the windows are all closed it's as good as night time. (I need to turn on the reading lights to plug in the earphone cable).

Comment

Thanks for the TR!! I am still not sure I can tahan such a long flight in Y...

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron1984 View Post
                              If I'm not mistaken, back during the days of the SIN-LAX & SIN-EWR non-stop flights, they served a pretty substantial "light refreshment" in between 2 full meals. I think they even gave out snack boxes mid-flight. I sound delusional saying this, but I think I remember this happening on the flights I took on those sectors.
                              Yes, the 3rd meal happens only on one of the sectors (if memory serves me correctly its the SIN-EWR leg). But one can order a fairly substantial snack like fishball noodles at any time in between.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                                About 7 hours into the journey (4:30 PM Singapore time), dinner was served, although the menu indicated it as "lunch". The choices for the main were a Western-style Basquaise chicken with polenta and peppers, or a Chinese-style fish with sweet potato rice and vegetables. The appetiser was a shrimp salad, and dessert was banana chocolate cake. In addition, bread roll with butter, as well as cheese and crackers, were also served.
                                Hmm... For my recent SQ32 flight, they served "lunch" about 9 to 10 hours into the journey.

Comment

Working...
                                X