Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ32 SIN-SFO Non-stop on SIA's A350-900WXB, Comparing 1-stop vs Non-stop, & SF Dining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We flew over Taiwan enroute to Hong Kong…

Heavy cloud cover over Taiwan, so no photo opportunities...

A smooth landing in Hong Kong...

This was a fairly short transit stop, as the flight landed slightly behind schedule (Headwinds, probably...)

Rather than use the SQ Lounge, I decided to head to the large airside foodcourt for a Hong Kong food fix. My favourite restaurant: Zheng Dou Tasty Congee and Noodle Wantun Shop.

Unfortunately it was also apparently the favourite of a large number of other passengers. The line that morning was the longest I had seen in many years transiting through HKG.

Thankfully the queue was a fast moving one, and I obtained my mixed meat congee and shrimp wonton noodle soup in a nick of time…

The timestamp on the photo above said 7.27am...I was finished with it all by 7.36am...I would have preferred to linger over these dishes a lot longer in order to better savour them, but hey, I had a plane to catch...

I speedwalked from the food court to the gate...

...where boarding had already commenced...

It was still pretty full on this sector...

A new set of cabin crew were onboard...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 June 2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Dim sum for breakfast (Again!)...

The sachet of Lee Kum Kee chilli sauce added a decent kick to the meal...

Surprisingly, while this was delicious, I found the SFO-catered dim sum breakfast spread on the SFO-HKG leg even tastier than the dim sum HKG-SIN leg, which was presumably catered in HKG.

We landed in Singapore on time after a very pleasant 3 and a half hour flight.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 June 2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I’ve always liked SQ1. The timing is great for this flight: A late night departure out of SFO, and after along overnight rest, it is morning in HKG. You then have a quick pit stop in HKG and then entertain yourself with the catering and IFE on the HKG-SIN leg.

Did the availability of the non-stop change my view? Well yes and no.

As far as equipment is concerned, the 77WR has a slighlty more spacious hard product, with the difference probably most noticeable in PEY. That said, the lower cabin pressure on the A350 did seem to make a difference over the long flight.

I still prefer SQ1’s late night departure out of SFO to SQ31’s daytime departure. However, a nonstop is a lot more convenient, even if it means that I will not get to eat congree and noodles in HKG.

I think as far as scheduling is concerned, UA has got it right with UA1, with a late night non-stop from SFO-SIN, and a morning arrival in SIN. Of course, UA’s onboard product pales next to SQ.

Overall, SQ32 is the clear first choice for the SIN-SFO leg. However for the return leg from SFO to SIN, for me, I see both SQ1 and SQ31 as being on par, with pro's and con's quite evenly split across these 2 services. I would pick the one which best suited my schedule.

Now that SQ has announced the resumption of non-stop flights to New York, all that remains is for SQ to announce a non stop SIN-LAX service, and hopefully other nonstops to new destinations as well.

Thanks for reading!
        Last edited by yflyer; 8 June 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for a great review and comparison.

The food actually looked very nice on SQ and the dim sum breakfast looked really great.

There is a reason why SQ is still one of the best airlines in the world!

Thanks for sharing!
          Carfield

Comment

Nice TR. Hope to see a review or Tasty Congee and Noodles next

Comment

Excellent TR, yflyer! Francisca's is definitely on my list the next time I go back to SF.

As for flight timings, I like SQ32 for its arrival time, which can be perfect for connecting domestic flights at SFO. However, SQ31 doesn't look very optimal as a feed from domestic passengers.

SQ1 has for years been my preferred SQ flight out of SFO as well. I'm curious about your thoughts about SQ2's timings as well.

Comment

Loved your SQ1 TR as well, got really lucky to get SWZ as you said you did once back when it was a 3-class 77WN. For India connection flights, SQ1 makes perfect sense, your layover timing is spaced out nicely, and you still have the availability to connect to any India flight.

SQ2 is good if you want a long layover in SIN if you arrive at 5-6AM but SQ32 seems ideal time wise. Hopefully this year, in November, I will get to fly SQ and their 77WR. Keep up the great TRs as always

Comment

Yet another incredible TR, yflyer. Appreciate the comparisons you made between the two flights. Convenience aside, I simply love the 77WR and find it to be aesthetically much more beautiful (on the inside especially) and obviously more spacious than the A359 (which looks rather cramped with the HUGE overhead compartments) and a smaller cabin.

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                  Agreed, they look delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
                    Thanks for a great review and comparison.
                    Thanks, Carfield!

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
                    The food actually looked very nice on SQ and the dim sum breakfast looked really great.
                    Yes, the dim sum was pretty good...both very tasty but as mentioned I was surprised that the SFO-catered dim sum was even more delicious than the HKG-catered dim sum. In any case, both were far better than the western-style egg breakfasts that SQ serves. I find SQ's western breakfasts in Y quite bland and boring.

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                    Thanks, SINFJ!

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
                    Agreed, they look delicious
                    Thanks, SINFJ and GR1! Actually that 正斗 (Zheng Dou) Tasty Congee and Wantun Noodle outlet in HKG has appeared in my TR's quite a lot over the years (e.g. here and here)! Between that visiting the HKG SilverKris Lounge, I would much rather eat at Zheng Dou...

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    Excellent TR, yflyer! Francisca's is definitely on my list the next time I go back to SF.

As for flight timings, I like SQ32 for its arrival time, which can be perfect for connecting domestic flights at SFO. However, SQ31 doesn't look very optimal as a feed from domestic passengers.

SQ1 has for years been my preferred SQ flight out of SFO as well. I'm curious about your thoughts about SQ2's timings as well.
                    Thanks, SQGamespeed! Francisca's, Foreign Cinema, The Progress and SPQR are all worth a visit!

I also like SQ32's morning departure, as well as the morning arrival timing into SFO.

As for SQ2, I don't mind the early evening departure timing, but the arrival timing in the evening is not ideal for folks prone to jetlag.

That said, and timing aside, I have very fond memories of SQ2, as I have taken this flight to both HKG and all the way to SFO, many times over the years, starting when this flight was still operated by 744 Megatops, back when they did the HKG stopover in Kai Tak Airport, with its hair-raising turning landing over Hong Kong rooftops.

I felt a little nostalgic when writing this, and searched for old SQ landings at Kai Tak on Youtube. I found a couple of old video's here and here...the 2nd video, a cockpit video of SQ862 landing at Kai Tak, is quite shaky and blurry, but it is one of the few SQ cockpit videos I have seen, especially from that era. It is amazing how late it was before the pilots could actually see the runway in front of them.

One of my first overseas trips when I started work many years ago was SQ2, SIN-HKG in Y on SQ's 744. This was 1996, when 744's were still state of the art, and seatback IFE screens were a very new thing. 20+ channels of movies on a small fuzzy seatback screen. Amazing! And this wasn't even AVOD, just one movie per channel played in a 2 hour loop. Still, at the time, it was great to be able to watch so many movies on a plane. And of course SQ service was great too. I was filled with wonder on that flight. I was only heading to HKG, but to hear the announcements onboard saying that the flight would continue to SFO just made me hungry to do this flight all the way to SFO one day, which of course I eventually did.

Over the years, I would make many other trips to SFO on SQ2, including one memorable trip, years later, where I used points to upgrade to Raffles Class on the Megatop 744 upper deck, with dark blue Ultimo seats (Not even slanted lie-flat). At the time, it felt like pure luxury. An incredible flight.

That flight was also notable for an incident that happened prior to take-off: On that flight, we boarded on time, as usual, but while onboard, enjoying pre-take-off service on the 744 Upper Deck, the departure that evening was delayed for some time because the pilots first said there was a "maintenance issue", then an announcement was made where the Captain asked all pax to deplane.

Once off the plane and in the holding area, the Captain announced that the reason was there was an unknown "white powder" in the cockpit. That was around the time there was a scare around anthrax spores / fake powder being mailed to politicians in the USA. It turned out to be a false alarm, but I guess the pilots were being cautious.

After some time (Probably about an hour or so...I don't recall exactly), we were able to reboard, although I don't recall whether we swapped aircraft or not. I suspect we did swap to a different 744.

In the event, the rest of the flight was uneventful, and I was pampered to bits sitting in Raffles Class on the 744 upper deck. Memories are made of these!

As for the arrival timing of SQ2 into SFO, it arrives in the evening, which means some folks may find it hard to go to bed at the correct time, local SFO time, but I normally don't have issues with this (A stiff drink or two helps)...so I am ok taking SQ2 into SFO, from an arrival timing perspective. But I used to prefer the old SQ16 (Morning departure to SFO via ICN), and now SQ32's morning departure is ideal for me.

After a morning arrival into SFO, I usually check into the hotel (The early check-in is a must), I sleep for 2-3 hours, then I am good to go, and can head outside in the afternoon to enjoy San Francisco.

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    Loved your SQ1 TR as well, got really lucky to get SWZ as you said you did once back when it was a 3-class 77WN. For India connection flights, SQ1 makes perfect sense, your layover timing is spaced out nicely, and you still have the availability to connect to any India flight.

SQ2 is good if you want a long layover in SIN if you arrive at 5-6AM but SQ32 seems ideal time wise. Hopefully this year, in November, I will get to fly SQ and their 77WR. Keep up the great TRs as always
                    Thanks, SQfanatic! Yes, SQ does great business with Indian pax from BLR, HYD etc connecting to SFO via Singapore. Enjoy your trip in November!

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
                    Yet another incredible TR, yflyer. Appreciate the comparisons you made between the two flights. Convenience aside, I simply love the 77WR and find it to be aesthetically much more beautiful (on the inside especially) and obviously more spacious than the A359 (which looks rather cramped with the HUGE overhead compartments) and a smaller cabin.
                    Thanks, GR1!

I prefer the dimensions and cabin size of the 77WR as well...more spacious than the A359. That said, the lower air pressure of the A359 did seem to make a difference in comfort after a long flight! Can't have everything, I suppose.

On the outside, I think the A359 is a beautiful plane...sleeker than the 777. If this were a beauty contest, my winner would be the 787, though! Love the Dreamliner nose and cockpit!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 10 June 2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Promised yflyer I would comment the next time I logged on. But aside from the recent MINOR (read: mean) drama of the A350 thread (which I knew, as usual, would get closed before I could comment) realized it took me 4.5 months to do so. Here we go:

SQ has to have the strangest wifi as they vary as well.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      ...LSS (LSS - Leading Stewardess, in the green kebayas)...
                      This is SQTalk. We even have an abbreviations thread for those not in the know.

...without any checked baggage, I was through immigration/customs and out of the terminal by 9.40am.
                      Weren’t you in for over a week…on business???

BART now warns riders to watch out for needles — which the city freely provides all the drug users at a rate of 400,000 per month!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/27...-epidemic.html

...I heard it was to reduce weight.
                      I believe it's because they want to reduce the aircraft's payload since it is a nonstop flight.
                      Way to pad your post count!

...increasingly fine options available for dining...
                      They close around 8-15 restaurants per week/month. So much so that The Chronicle devotes a Friday section to them. With minimum wages hitting USD$15/hour, there’s no way you can hire dishwashers or waitstaff.

...I spotted an In-N-Out...
                      That particular In-n-Out is the highest priced one in the chain. Over $2 higher per burger than in LA.

When SPQR opened, appetizers were <$8 and entrees <$17.

...Oriental...
                      You mean, “ASIAN”?!?

I have no idea if the building and venue ever housed an actual cinema in the past...
                      Looks like you left to early to find out. The restaurant gets its name from the fact that they show foreign movies on the wall of the outdoor dining area.

...American Football...
                      There’s another kind of football?!?

At this point I turned to Google…
                      Oh my!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

[I Hit The Emoji Limit (can we increase that?)]

Faultline is a Silicon Valley tradition.

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                        Not a tall order if the competition for a non-stop is United

I do hope the current A350 remains on the route though, with the A350-900ULR used to launch a new North American destination
                        You didn't get your wish.

Every photo in this TR was taken with an iPhone X...aside from the fact that it does not have a telephoto lens...
                        ???

...in top restaurants Italy...
                        THE top restaurant: Osteria Francescana

...I would have to rely on HUGE AL to remind me what this dish was…
                        That was the pork roulade.

United Polaris Lounge, which was only open to Business and First Class passengers, not Star Gold.
                        The renaming scheme airlines use to get around alliance agreements.

...which was the previous United Global First Lounge...
                        Known as The HOLE.

...but hey, I had a plane to catch...

I speedwalked from the food court to the gate…
                        This is why I’ve always disliked SQ’s connecting flights — the stop is usually only an hour.

The sachet of Lee Kum Kee chilli sauce added a decent kick to the meal…
                        Miss SQ’s old one.

I still prefer SQ1’s late night departure out of SFO to SQ31’s daytime departure.
                        You won’t have to worry about that come late November.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          Promised yflyer I would comment the next time I logged on. But aside from the recent MINOR (read: mean) drama of the A350 thread (which I knew, as usual, would get closed before I could comment) realized it took me 4.5 months to do so. Here we go:
                          You are a busy man, HUGE AL! And good to meet up again in LA last week!

SQ has to have the strangest wifi as they vary as well.
                          Yup, several different plans and charging schemes. If only they would just stick to a simple time-based one...

They close around 8-15 restaurants per week/month. So much so that The Chronicle devotes a Friday section to them. With minimum wages hitting USD$15/hour, there’s no way you can hire dishwashers or waitstaff.
                          On the other hand, some restaurants have lasted years and years!

That particular In-n-Out is the highest priced one in the chain. Over $2 higher per burger than in LA.
                          Higher rentals in Fisherman's Wharf? Not a lot of choice if you want In-N-Out in SF, though.

I have sometimes made the decision to stay at the Aloft SF Airport Hotel solely to eat a burger at the nearby In-N-Out...

When SPQR opened, appetizers were <$8 and entrees <$17.
                          Amazing...

Looks like you left to early to find out. The restaurant gets its name from the fact that they show foreign movies on the wall of the outdoor dining area
                          Ah...

There’s another kind of football?!?

Oh my!
                          Yes!

Comment

Faultline is a Silicon Valley tradition.
                            And rightly so! A very nice place to drink very nice beers...

You didn't get your wish.
                            I don't see why SQ is so hung up about not offering normal Y on nonstops to West Coast USA. After doing this nonstop to SFO and LAX several times in Y on both SQ and United, I will find it very hard to do this on a one-stop, after experiencing the convenience (And time savings) of a nonstop. Y appears to be perfectly doable on a 16 hour sector. Not sure about SIN-EWR though ...

The renaming scheme airlines use to get around alliance agreements.
                            SQ didn't even need to rename...Star Gold are still not allowed into the Silver Kris Lounges in Changi. I'm not too bothered by that though, because I think SQ's lounges in Changi are good but not great. If SQ ever does a "statement" lounge as good as, say, Virgin's LHR Clubhouse, or the Cathay's HKG lounges, then I would really suffer lounge envy.

This is why I’ve always disliked SQ’s connecting flights — the stop is usually only an hour.
                            I always thought that was a plus...shorter transit = earlier arrival times. And there is no risk of missing a connection since it is the same plane continuing on the next sector...

The sachet of Lee Kum Kee chilli sauce added a decent kick to the meal...
                            Miss SQ’s old one.
                            I am waiting for some airline to start serving Sriracha out of small plastic bottles with green tops

Comment

On the outside, I think the A359 is a beautiful plane...sleeker than the 777. If this were a beauty contest, my winner would be the 787, though! Love the Dreamliner nose and cockpit!
                              I definitely want to fly SQ's 787-10 one time. Actually, as I have told, we are likely going in November, but our plan is to go to MAA and come back from DEL (there are some religious festivities we are attending in Varanasi). What's cool is that the morning flight is using the 787-10, but it is retimed and will only arrive into SIN at 6:15pm (15 minutes before SQ2 departs, not a wise choice).

My hope is soon, they do put the 787-10 to BLR or even MAA.

Comment

I definitely want to fly SQ's 787-10 one time. Actually, as I have told, we are likely going in November, but our plan is to go to MAA and come back from DEL (there are some religious festivities we are attending in Varanasi). What's cool is that the morning flight is using the 787-10, but it is retimed and will only arrive into SIN at 6:15pm (15 minutes before SQ2 departs, not a wise choice).

My hope is soon, they do put the 787-10 to BLR or even MAA.
                                SQ's 787-10 going to operate to Delhi? Great news! From what date? I didn't know that. Right now it is either A380 or 772, I go to Delhi quite often...next time, if 787-10 service starts by then, I will get myself onto that flight to check it out

Comment

Working...
                                X