No announcement yet.

We love the Swiss DO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd say your chances are always way above normal pax.

Anyway, don't get last-minute cold feet now!! Die die must fly.... to ZRH!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ikarus2006 View Post
      Kyo, I have just received the info from my supplier in Switzerland (advised by a "typical Zurichoise") so as promised here is the list:

http://le-dezaley.ch/ - Swiss Cheese Fondue and other meet fondues in historic Zurich
      www.weisserwind.ch - typical Swiss Food also in historic Zurich
      www.geeren.ch - very typical, simple, but very fine Swiss food in authentic restaurant but a little outside Zurich in a forest - by taxi

I am sorry I won't be able to join having to be in SIN on those days. I do expect a yummy TR .
      So... 28+ Luxemburgli later, we went over to Geeren yesterday evening, and you're right - it's in a forest... up a hill...! For those who're keen to visit next time, two things:

1) 20 CHF taxi ride to/from the nearest train station to the restaurant
      2) It's cash-ONLY! We interestingly had to resort to a multitude of currencies in order to pay the bill... hehehe

Anyway I had my first real Swiss cheese fondue and it was quite unforgettable, so thank you very much for the suggestion!
      Last edited by Kyo; 21 February 2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        So... 28+ Luxemburgli later, we went over to Geeren yesterday evening, and you're right - it's in a forest... up a hill...! For those who're keen to visit next time, two things:

1) 20 CHF taxi ride to/from the nearest train station to the restaurant
        2) It's cash-ONLY! We interestingly had to resort to a multitude of currencies in order to pay the bill... hehehe
        Many thanks to Ikarus2006 for the great suggestion! We would never have ended up in Geeren without your recommendation.

The service was very friendly (actually, it was like everyone else we spoke to in Zurich). Excellent English spoken.

The restaurant was full. So it was very lucky that Kyo had the foresight to make a reservation otherwise there would have been three hungry and frustrated people on Saturday going back to Zurich after the trek out to the restaurant.

The restaurant's recommendations were spot on and excellent. They described it as "food which your grandma would cook". It also rapidly became obvious that it's also food for Swiss farmers famished after a hard day chopping down trees (and not - like us - after a hard day stuffing ourselves with food and Luxemburgli...).

We started off with a light winter salad with accompanying platters of smoked bacon (which they comped us) and smoked sausages - both of which were made by the restaurant itself and were delicious. Kyo had a fondue. I had a humongous amount of rosti topped with a large slice of meat and two fried eggs which I struggled hard to finish but admitted defeat in the end. phaleesy had veal together with more rosti. Dessert was a huge (there seems to be a theme here! ) plate of meringue, whipped cream, ice cream and sorbets; and Kyo also had a semolina like dessert as he was still feeling a bit peckish. Finally, the restaurant also treated us to a selection of some Schnapps (e.g. pear etc) to finish what was an excellent meal.

All that food (which tasted great but was much too much to finish) and drinks (they have a nice selection of beers) came to a reasonable CHF 160 (about £100) for the three of us. It was a surprise to be told then that they don't take credit cards! The restaurant were very friendly and good about it though, e.g. they wondered whether we could come back to pay another day (but we couldn't) etc.
        Last edited by jhm; 22 February 2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Glad I could support you guys, and also that you met some Swiss flexibility regarding the payment methods.

I wonder if any of you will be in HAM in May - could be a nice Do along the Elbe river...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ikarus2006 View Post
            I wonder if any of you will be in HAM in May - could be a nice Do along the Elbe river...
            When in May are you in HAM ?

Comment

• I can't do a major European DO for at least 6 months, but have had HAM in my sights for awhile now... thanks for the invite, however!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                I can't do a major European DO for at least 6 months
                ... but a weekend jaunt like this should be fine! Just think of the culinary (and other) delights to be found in the Reeperbahn!

Comment

• Oh noes... make another thread, I will consider....... hehe

Comment

• I should be there 18/20 in occasion of this:

http://www.aircraftinteriorsexpo.com/

Sorry cant advise about the "food" for sale on the Reeperbahn lol, not my kind of cusine...

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      The restaurant were very friendly and good about it though, e.g. they wondered whether we could come back to pay another day (but we couldn't) etc.
                      The restaurant owner (I think) asked me how long we would be in ZRH. I think he was prepared to give us an I.O.U.

I suddenly remembered I had quite a bit of other currencies and asked him if it would be okay if I paid in US$, so it was all sorted with no major drama.

Comment

Working...
                      X