A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
    I believe all of SQ's maintenance and repair is outsourced to Singapore Airlines Engineering Company (SIAEC). This is common practice whereby airlines outsource maintenance and repair to a third-party and do not do it in-house. In the case of SQ, that third-party is really their own 100%-owned subsidiary SIAEC.
    No my friend used to work at SIAEC and SIAEC is not really considered a third party - as others mentioned they're majorly owned by SQ. Just like Lufthansa Technik to LH.

The outsourcing here means it's going to a third party other than SIAEC - some smaller contractors that can't keep up with the workload.

Michael

Comment

• Originally posted by eamond View Post
      No my friend used to work at SIAEC and SIAEC is not really considered a third party - as others mentioned they're majorly owned by SQ. Just like Lufthansa Technik to LH.

The outsourcing here means it's going to a third party other than SIAEC - some smaller contractors that can't keep up with the workload.

Michael
      Unfortunate then, if this has led to a drop in repair and maintenance standards of SQ's interiors.

Comment

• I do not understand why SQ cannot fix any small cabin issues like losse seat armrests, or seat recline issues or when its PTV is not working right. I have experienced when boarding an mirates flight at Changi and there was a technician who was just finishing adjusting/fixing the seat. Why cant SQ do it durng its planes transit in Changi for such minor issues which takes probably an hour or so to fix. I have taken a SQ flight on a newer A380 with its very loose adjustable headrest from Changi to HKG. And another occassion where the PEY headphone jack was not working.

Comment

• 9V-SKF is back on service after around 18 days servicing in KL

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            I do not understand why SQ cannot fix any small cabin issues like losse seat armrests, or seat recline issues or when its PTV is not working right. I have experienced when boarding an mirates flight at Changi and there was a technician who was just finishing adjusting/fixing the seat. Why cant SQ do it durng its planes transit in Changi for such minor issues which takes probably an hour or so to fix. I have taken a SQ flight on a newer A380 with its very loose adjustable headrest from Changi to HKG. And another occassion where the PEY headphone jack was not working.
            I guess there are many occasions where they do not have the 'luxury of time' to fix such small cabin issues and the aircraft has to turnaround quickly. Always notice engineers and cleaning crew standing by the aerobridge when passengers are deplaning, especially when the aircraft is due to fly out in an hour or so.
            Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
              Some tweaks for the new A380.

SQ856/861 HKG (388v3) changes to 77W on days 245 in Feb 2020

consequently:

SQ611/612 ICN (77W) changes to 787 on days 245 in Feb 2020
              SQ856/861 swap to 777-300ER on day 234 I think.

Also on a side note, from now till Jan, SQ866/865/872/871 will not operate on certain days n there are some day where SQ866/865 will be swapped to 787-10 as well

Comment

• Cabin maintenance of SIA aircraft is handled by SIAEC. IFE systems are handled by Panasonic staff. All aircraft on transit, irregardless of their transit time, are attended to by at least 2 staff to attend to cabin maintenance.

If the issue is a matter of adjusting or fixing by a tightening a few screws or realigning a component, it can done in a few minutes. But if a part is broken, torn or if it is a clip-on, than chances are they have to order a new part. This might take time and this is what causes the delay.

Comment

• Also, always inform the cabin crew if there's an issue with the seat. The cabin crew would than log it up in a maintenance log book for the engineering staff to attend to upon aircraft transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
                    Cabin maintenance of SIA aircraft is handled by SIAEC. IFE systems are handled by Panasonic staff. All aircraft on transit, irregardless of their transit time, are attended to by at least 2 staff to attend to cabin maintenance.

If the issue is a matter of adjusting or fixing by a tightening a few screws or realigning a component, it can done in a few minutes. But if a part is broken, torn or if it is a clip-on, than chances are they have to order a new part. This might take time and this is what causes the delay.
                    well it doesnt look that way given my headrest then was so lose and was not fix and it should be a simple fix for them, or even the PEY headset jack on the A350.
                    Last edited by flyguy; 21 October 2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• A version 3 A380 have been deploy on SQ802 on 18/10 19/10 n 21/10.
                      While SQ856 was swapped to version 1 on 18/10 n 19/10
                      SQ830 was swapped to version 1 on 21/10

Not sure why there is switch as the Version 1 aircraft do arrive early to be deploy on SQ802

Edit. 22/10 SQ802 is getting version 3 as well. SQ830 swapped to version 1.
                      Last edited by sbs2716g; 23 October 2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                        SQ856/861 swap to 777-300ER on day 234 I think.

Also on a side note, from now till Jan, SQ866/865/872/871 will not operate on certain days n there are some day where SQ866/865 will be swapped to 787-10 as well
                        Seeing the rock bottom prices for HKG in economy I’m curious that they haven’t redeployed the A380 / 78J away from HKG sooner (eg during the December holiday season). Premium demand must be keeping up in order to maintain these frequencies/premium seats. Nearby TPE on the other hand is seeing sky high prices in economy during December holiday season. Would be a nice surprise if the A380 made a debut (albeit temporarily) on SIN-TPE replacing the 78J this holiday season.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                          Seeing the rock bottom prices for HKG in economy I’m curious that they haven’t redeployed the A380 / 78J away from HKG sooner (eg during the December holiday season). Premium demand must be keeping up in order to maintain these frequencies/premium seats. Nearby TPE on the other hand is seeing sky high prices in economy during December holiday season. Would be a nice surprise if the A380 made a debut (albeit temporarily) on SIN-TPE replacing the 78J this holiday season.
                          The 78J have been removed from HKG rotation. It went to Taipei.
                          SQ have also removed SQ860 for certain Days in Nov n Dec.
                          even CX also is maintaining their frequencies except for certain days. CX have 9 daily flights if I am not wrong.

Would think that SQ would have long added another flight to TPE but guess they do not want to erode their margin on this route.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                            The 78J have been removed from HKG rotation. It went to Taipei.
                            SQ have also removed SQ860 for certain Days in Nov n Dec.
                            even CX also is maintaining their frequencies except for certain days. CX have 9 daily flights if I am not wrong.

Would think that SQ would have long added another flight to TPE but guess they do not want to erode their margin on this route.
                            SQ866 also removed on certain days.
                            Cathay can probably sustain its load because pax may be onward pax to other destinations (Cathay sells tickets to US and Canada pretty cheap!)

The flight loads to HKG aren’t really that bad. My recent flights have been well filled. Just probably less “tourists” than usual. And frankly, the situation in HK isn’t that bad at all. Aside from weekends where you should stay away from the action areas, the rest of the week is pretty normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                              SQ866 also removed on certain days.
                              Cathay can probably sustain its load because pax may be onward pax to other destinations (Cathay sells tickets to US and Canada pretty cheap!)

The flight loads to HKG aren’t really that bad. My recent flights have been well filled. Just probably less “tourists” than usual. And frankly, the situation in HK isn’t that bad at all. Aside from weekends where you should stay away from the action areas, the rest of the week is pretty normal.
                              For the month of September, all regions recorded growth. Among Changi’s top 10 markets, Japan led the gainers with a robust 15% year-on-year growth, followed by China and Philippines – both registering an 8% increase in passenger movements. Traffic to and from Hong Kong continued to weaken, declining 21% for the month. - From the recent press release. A 21% decline is pretty bad in my opinion.

Comment

• Dont see how even SIN-HKG can sustain the normal flight schedule and planes filled, as even SQ have downgraded one of its aircraft on the HKG run and on certain days reduce one of the daily flight. Cathay last month reported a 38% drop in pax on its flights and now reported to give free travel to its staff as its flights are below loads.

Comment

Working...
                                X