Vegetarian served meat on SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian served meat on SQ

Happened to see this article about SQ. Was published about a week ago and surprised there's no mention about it in the local papers. Wonder how they're gonna make up for this.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/5498476/Vegetarian-served-meat-on-plane

how could she not tell that it was not vegetables? the texture and the smell? Bravo for the SQ crew who tried to do something.

Comment

I must put an element of blame onto her. Chicken does not look like anything vegetarian, and if you are such a strict vegetarian you must check it before eating, unless of course you are at your own home.

I was served meat once on a SQ flight, however I quickly called the crew who checked it was non-veg and the crew immediately stopped her service to replace my plate, however I told them to replace the entire tray and they were very happy to do that. On the way back from Delhi, it was even more interesting because twice the crew member came up to me to apologize for the lack of omelets on the plane, despite them telling me of my Indian Vegetarian meal option

Comment

I know airline food even on SQ is not brilliant any more, but chicken versus cheese (e.g. paneer) is a quite difference even in that microwaved state they serve it in. Also if she wasn't served a special meal I would assume she was served from the regular trolley so the questions of ... "Would you like the chicken or xxx" would have come up. I know the lady was weak on the English, but if unclear they could have called the crew that translated later after the incident. I would argue even share of blame here. Plus she should go after her TA regarding the meal order.

Comment

I don't blame the lady at all. Call me stupid, but I often find meat in a vegetarian meal, and don't spot it until it is too late. There are a number of factors involved:

1. I am very trusting of what I am given. If I order a vegetarian meal, I don't pick it apart to analyze the colours, textures, and smells first. I just shovel it into my mouth and chew.
          2. The human brain is very good at convincing you that something is what you think it is, not what it actually is. Niggling doubts are sometime cast aside with the flimsiest of explanations. This all happens almost subconsiously.
          3. Chicken can look like many things, depending on how it has been cut, cooked, and mixed in with other ingredients. I have bought curries from street vendors sometimes having no idea what was in them!

I also eat fish, which can appear very similar to chicken, though I don't think this was the case with this lady.

The article isn't clear on the precise details, but it appears this lady was served from the regular meal selection. The article states that she spoke little English. No doubt she would have been asked if she wanted "chicken or fish", at which point she probably stared blankly, or nodded her head, and so she was served chicken. As her travel agent had assured her that she would receive a vegetarian meal, of course that is what she believed she was getting.

This sort of thing wouldn't happen to me on a flight, as I have had too many special meals to know better - the confirmation from the FA when you board, the service separate from regular meals, the coded stickers attached to the dishes - but I can easily see how it could happen to a first time or infrequent flyer.

The only time I've eaten meat on SQ was on a short hop where I didn't bother to order a special meal, and just left it to chance that there would be a fish option to choose from. There was. Unfortunately it wasn't until I took a mouthful that I realised the tiny red cubes visible in the sauce covering the fish were in fact bacon. Feedback sent to SQ - if a fish dish contains meat, at least state this in the menu - standard response received, no action taken

I also wonder why we can't just have ordinary meals any more. Why does everything have to be tarted up and presented as the latest creation of some supposed master chef. There's a reason why we have traditional meals - it's because they work, and they don't need fixing. Anyway, rant over.

For me, it's no big deal when I find meat in a vegetarian meal. I just push it to one side and carry on eating. But I can understand how others can feel much more strongly about it.

The only thing that surprises me about the story is the lady's claim that she has never eaten meat before in her 56 years of life. Personally, I come across meat in supposed vegetarian meals more often than you would think.

Comment

I find it incredible that such a petty issue finds its way into a newspaper; shows you how parochial the NZ small-town press is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
              I find it incredible that such a petty issue finds its way into a newspaper; shows you how parochial the NZ small-town press is.
              Most certainly not a minor issue in India. A very serious issue actually, especially for an airline of the caliber of Singapore Airlines which many Indians consider it to be one of the best airlines out there

Originally posted by DinkumDave View Post
              The only thing that surprises me about the story is the lady's claim that she has never eaten meat before in her 56 years of life. Personally, I come across meat in supposed vegetarian meals more often than you would think.
              You may be surprised, but some people I know refuse to eat in a restaurant which serves meat. If it's not a pure vegetarian restaurant, then they don't go there, so hardly at all surprising that she managed to do this

I empathize with her, but at the same time she should always check in her meal if she is going to an environment which serves meat.

I think this sort of vegetarianism is very hard for people to understand, I remember when I was given a chicken piece in my fries. It was a horrible feeling, but no action was taken, because well you didn't eat it. Thats what most vegetarians think, but I'm sure more Indian Vegetarians would have just considered me eating meat to a certain extent.
              Last edited by pavion; 9 September 2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Why cannot people be responsible for what is going into their mouth themselves? It is not as though someone forced down her neck. This is silly nonsense. If there is meat and you are vegetarian, don't eat it. I read this artcle and is more of a whinge than anything. I recommend she take a cement pill and harden up! Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                  This isn't a minor issue Some people are strict vegetarians and wouldn't tolerate such things.
                  Last edited by SQ All The Way; 12 September 2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
                    Why cannot people be responsible for what is going into their mouth themselves? It is not as though someone forced down her neck. This is silly nonsense. If there is meat and you are vegetarian, don't eat it. I read this artcle and is more of a whinge than anything. I recommend she take a cement pill and harden up! Get over it.
                    The way I look it, she (or at least the son-in-law) is seeking compensation from SQ because she is now traumatize
                    visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                      This isn't a minor issue Some people are strict vegetarians and wouldn't tolerate such things.
                      Like someone has pointed out, if she is strict vegetarians, she should know straight away something is not right when she ate that chicken.

My muslim friend can straight away tell it is pork when he not knowingly eat it and straight away throw it up.

Here we are talking about chicken (meat) vs veggie.

Anyway her meal is not a special meal at the first place (ok language may be an issue here), not as bad as my friend who was asked for low cholesterol meal on CX flight and got served of Curry Chicken.
                      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post

Anyway her meal is not a special meal at the first place (ok language may be an issue here), not as bad as my friend who was asked for low cholesterol meal on CX flight and got served of Curry Chicken.
                        Really! Really!!!

You are comparing a vegetarian Vs chicken with low cholestrol Vs chicken with the former being "not as bad". Perhaps you are not aware that one meal with high cholestrol may not kill a person, but for a strict vegetarian to eat meat (especially unknowingly) is the loss of everything that they have stood for in their life until that moment.

You are obviously ignorant of the fervour and the depth of belief that these strict vegetarians have. It is taken as seriously as a devout muslim abstaining from pork.

Comment

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
                          Really! Really!!!

You are comparing a vegetarian Vs chicken with low cholestrol Vs chicken with the former being "not as bad". Perhaps you are not aware that one meal with high cholestrol may not kill a person, but for a strict vegetarian to eat meat (especially unknowingly) is the loss of everything that they have stood for in their life until that moment.

You are obviously ignorant of the fervour and the depth of belief that these strict vegetarians have. It is taken as seriously as a devout muslim abstaining from pork.

Well I will not trying to act that I understand her feeling. But again, if you are a vegie whole of your life, you should know what you eat is not vegie (from the texture), like my muslim friend straight away can tell that is something wrong with the meat.

Again, I may be completely ignorance on this.

Look at the article, it was reported in 25-Aug for Feb flight...... 6 months later. If this is religious thing, God will forgiven you for accidentally for unknowingly eat non vegie. Agian I may be wrong as I am not God.

If course I am not devoted vegie so I cannot 100% and not trying to act that I understand her feeling. But life has to move on.

I am questioning the motif of making it a "big" news
                          visit my blog

Comment

Speaking for myself.

I can say as someone who avoids pig, perhaps not for my entire life, but certainly the most part of 12 years, I can almost always tell the difference in texture between cooked pork and beef. It might take a chew or three to tell (sometimes it comes close: eg. stewed slices etc).

I'd imagine it's rather simple to tell between meat / veges. Unless mock meat is involved (and even then that tends to be a little chewy in my mostly limited experiences).

I feel sorry that the old lady had to endure the 'meat experience', but I also fully understand the feeling of repulsiveness I get that comes with eating swine. As some of you know, I only make very, very limited exceptions when it comes to this, mostly for reasons of politeness with guests/clients etc.
                            Last edited by Kyo; 13 September 2011, 09:55 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                              Like someone has pointed out, if she is strict vegetarians, she should know straight away something is not right when she ate that chicken.

My muslim friend can straight away tell it is pork when he not knowingly eat it and straight away throw it up.

I eat anything that moves and there are times when I honestly can't tell what it is I'm eating is pork/beef/whatever until several bites in.

I always wonder how one can tell its something if you've never eaten it.

Comment

Working...
                              X