Lufthansa's New First Class on A380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lufthansa's New First Class on A380

I am really looking forward to the unveiling of the new F.
    After 12 years, it's got to be good.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...h-airways.html

April 27 (Bloomberg) -- Deutsche Lufthansa AG will seek to out-Ritz British Airways Plc by evoking London hotel luxury in a makeover of its first-class cabins.

The revamp, to be unveiled when the German airline gets its first A380 superjumbo on May 19, features high-gloss wood veneers and brown and beige leather, said Michael Oakey of Heath Tecna Inc., which is supplying seat components. The in-flight service will include wines chosen in tastings by frequent flyers, airline spokesman Jan Baerwalde said.

Lufthansa is overhauling its costliest cabins for the first time in 12 years after British Airways two months ago showed off a 100 million-pound ($153 million) refit featuring leather desks and Egyptian-cotton duvets. Both airlines are forecasting a rebound in demand for premium travel as economies pick up.

“This is a real bet for Lufthansa, because the trend is more toward cutting first class, and I’m not sure that we’ll see the number of premium travelers we had back in 2007,” said Yan Derocles, an analyst at Oddo Securities in Paris who rates Lufthansa shares “add” and British Airways “reduce”

A first-class return ticket between Lufthansa’s Frankfurt hub and New York starts at 7,999 euros ($10,700), while those flying to Singapore have to spend at least 9,559 euros. Profit margins from first-class tickets can reach 90 percent, while economy class is barely profitable, said Per-Ola Hellgren, an analyst at Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg in Mainz, Germany.

‘Luxury Hotel’

Cologne, Germany-based Lufthansa’s new cabins will be contemporary rather than colorful and futuristic, calling to mind private-jet interiors and luxury cars, according to Oakey, head of business development at Heath Tecna’s U.K. unit in Camberley, near London, which is supplying bespoke finishes and components for the flat-bed seats.

The colors, materials and shapes used are also intended to create a smooth transition from Lufthansa’s first-class lounges to the aircraft, Baerwalde said. The airline already offers dedicated first-class terminals, where passengers picked up from their doorsteps by limousine are greeted in a hotel-style welcome area and kept separate from non-premium travelers.

“From the lounge to the plane, you’re meant to feel like you’re in a luxury hotel,” Baerwalde said.

Lufthansa won’t say how much it’s spending on the makeover. Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg’s Hellgren estimates the project will cost about 150 million euros ($200 million). The carrier said it budgeted 1 billion euros over five years on improving all of its cabins, with wider seat spacing on regional flights, a new entertainment program and broadband Internet access on long-distance routes.

Catching Qatar

The redesign, to be rolled out on more than 80 long-haul routes over the next three years, will help close the gap to Asian and Middle Eastern airlines such as Qatar Airways Ltd.

Qatar Airways, whose premier cabins offer a stand-up bar, cream leather sofas and teak tables with lampshades, is eliminating first-class cabins in some of the planes scheduled for delivery after a drop in demand for top-end travel, Chief Executive Officer Akbar al-Baker said March 10.

While premium travel, including business class, is up 10 percent from mid-2009 lows, it hasn’t yet recovered to early 2008 levels, the International Air Transport Association said April 15.

Italian Caviar

London-based British Airways, which pioneered lie-flat seats in 1996, introduced its first premium revamp in almost 10 years in February. The makeover took inspiration from luxury U.K. carmakers, using designers who had created leather-rich interiors for Jaguar and Aston Martin, the company said.

Lufthansa’s new wine selections include Rully Premier Cru from the vineyards of Antonin Rodet in Burgundy, France. Also on offer is north Italian caviar, of which the airline consumes seven tons a year, making it the biggest single buyer.

Menus have been designed by renowned chefs, of whom 60 have cooked for the carrier in the past decade, including French veteran Paul Bocuse, whose eponymous restaurant near Lyon has held three Michelin stars for more than 40 years, and Daniel Boulud, whose New York establishments include Daniel and DB Bistro Moderne and whose dining empire stretches from Vancouver to Beijing.

“Everybody is offering a wide variety of champagnes and wines -- they have to differentiate themselves,” said Michael Laznicka, chief executive officer of Rapid Pharmaceuticals AG who flies as many as 16 round trips on the carrier’s first class every year. “Lufthansa is already doing a phenomenal job with its ground lounges and limousines. Now that has to happen in the air as well.”

Shower on the Ground

Lufthansa won’t offer on-board shower cabins because passengers end up competing to use them, and will instead use the 26 existing cabins on the ground. It will also avoid fully enclosed suites of the kind favored by Singapore Airlines Ltd. and Gulf carrier Emirates.

Along with Qatar Airways, Skytrax ranks Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, India’s Kingfisher Airlines and Asiana Airlines of South Korea as “five-star carriers.”

The second level of 28 airlines includes Lufthansa, together with British Airways and European competitors Air France and Virgin Atlantic. U.S. carriers American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines are in a group of more than 120 companies with three stars.

“What airlines will probably try to do in the future is to use their premium space more efficiently,” Hellgren said. “That means squeezing more customers who would rather pay a bit less for a first-class ticket into the same space.”
    F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

You'll have the chance to try the A380 if you book Frankfurt to Narita - the flights begin June 11.
    I wonder what happened to New York?

Comment

Hope they'll be operating the Big Birds to Singapore. I wanna try redeeming miles next year on F to SIN from FRA

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
        You'll have the chance to try the A380 if you book Frankfurt to Narita - the flights begin June 11.
        Dummy booking on LH FRA-NRT-FRA for the 17th of June return on 4th July still shows a 744 (however, return 5th July shows a 388).
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post

LH have confirmed flights to Tokyo, Beijing & Johannesburg for the A380 fo rthis year.

http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1691.html

I was also wondering what happened to New York! But I believe that they have reduced flights on this route this year, although I am not sure. So perhaps the demand is not sufficient, or these routes have a greater demand.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
            LH have confirmed flights to Tokyo, Beijing & Johannesburg for the A380 fo rthis year.

http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1691.html

I was also wondering what happened to New York! But I believe that they have reduced flights on this route this year, although I am not sure. So perhaps the demand is not sufficient, or these routes have a greater demand.
            Interesting choices but very logical. Maybe FRA-PEK then! Wahaha decisions decisions.

Comment

I would be MOST keen if they stick to FRA-PEK as a confirmed destination. I need a flight in mid-Sept, and am considering staying away from SIN for the F1, so might as well plan a hop ex-PEK to Europe.

No redemption restrictions on the LH 388 F, are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                No redemption restrictions on the LH 388 F, are there?
                Yep, every single day on flights operated by 388 are blocked in F. No redeeming opportunities unfortunately. Pity to see LH going down the same road as SQ. Although I don't think they will ever become as stingy as SQ!
                Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Originally posted by pogonation View Post
                  Yep, every single day on flights operated by 388 are blocked in F. No redeeming opportunities unfortunately. Pity to see LH going down the same road as SQ. Although I don't think they will ever become as stingy as SQ!
                  Oh no... ah well... there goes my chance.

Comment

Seat map is available now

Click Here

8 First Class in the narrower upper deck...I will not expect too much

Comment

Premium customers up top and the plebians go down below.

Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
                      Seat map is available now

Click Here

8 First Class in the narrower upper deck...I will not expect too much
                      Doesn't look too bad imho but I guess you won't really know until you actually have to fly in one of these big birds

Comment

post deleted
                        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Thats interesting, so they now have half as many 1st class seats as on their current 744 fleet.

They must have seen a drop off in 1st to make this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
                            Thats interesting, so they now have half as many 1st class seats as on their current 744 fleet.

They must have seen a drop off in 1st to make this decision.
                            The current 744 fleet will also drop to 8 seats in F on the UD, but without a major reconfig. Each current pair will be sold as 1 seat - 1 for you to sit on, 1 for lying down.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              The current 744 fleet will also drop to 8 seats in F on the UD, but without a major reconfig. Each current pair will be sold as 1 seat - 1 for you to sit on, 1 for lying down.
                              Do you know when this will happen? Can we run redemptions on it?
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X