Confirmed : TG to scrap non-stop to JFK and LAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed : TG to scrap non-stop to JFK and LAX

Has anyone heard? TG will be adding a stop either in PVG or ICN on the current non-stop BKK-JFK and BKK-LAX runs?

Sad news. I wonder if this means they will return the A345s.

Comment

This was on TOF as well...rumor came about with a Jan ATWorld article that said that, but I think the consensus after that was that the nonstops would continue.

Comment

There's no firm news on this subject at all, other than that with the upcoming delivery of a fourth A345, TG's nonstop Thailand-USA services will increase. The changing stories and conflicting reports are like so much else in Thailand these days: Suvarnabhumi closing, Suvarnabhumi sinking, Suvarnabhumi pretty much okay, what cracked floor tiles?, what cracked taxiways?, Don Muang re-opening, Thaksin responsible for the NYE bombing, Thaksin is welcome to return at any time, constitution will be ready soon, return to full democracy in one year... Ah, this is Thailand.

Sounds like TG execs suffering from the speaking-before-thinking disease.

Comment

Here's a link to an article on the subject in yesterday's Bangkok Post.

It also mentions that SQ's SIN-EWR is losing money.
          http://www.bangkokpost.com/260207_Bu...2007_biz38.php

"The non-stop Bangkok-New York flight could be replaced with flights with stopovers in major Chinese cities such as Beijing or Shanghai, while Bangkok-Los Angeles flights would stop in South Korea.

THAI operates five non-stop flights a week to New York and the same number on the Bangkok-Los Angeles route.

But the chance of making money even from revised routes with stopovers is slim because price competition on Asia-US flights among international carriers has also been fierce with most of them operating at a loss, insiders said.

Singapore Airlines' Singapore-New York non-stop flights are also in the red.

"Whatever way you choose, non-stop, or with a stopover, you don't make money," one executive said."

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            It also mentions that SQ's SIN-EWR is losing money.
            It is. Nowhere near as much as TG is losing but losing money all the same.

Comment

Loads are still very good though and with this (slightly) improved fuel environment, one hopes that the losses (if any right now) are smaller than when it peaked at US$81/bbl or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                Loads are still very good though and with this (slightly) improved fuel environment, one hopes that the losses (if any right now) are smaller than when it peaked at US$81/bbl or so.
                I really hope they don't give my favourite flight (SQ21/22 ) up!

Comment

TG's BKK-EWR run

I'm contemplating doing this flight in July. Does anybody know how it compares with SQ's SIN-EWR non-stop? Of course, going by TG means I have to go through the trouble laying over at BKK. Is it worth the trouble? I checked, and the price difference was about S$600.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                    I'm contemplating doing this flight in July. Does anybody know how it compares with SQ's SIN-EWR non-stop? Of course, going by TG means I have to go through the trouble laying over at BKK. Is it worth the trouble? I checked, and the price difference was about S$600.
                    I suppose it depends on numerous things, most of which have to be your call. What's your final destination, timings and convenience and of course price.

I haven't done the TG flight but I have done SQ's SIN-EWR and quite enjoyed it, although it's at my upper limit for time spent in a metal tube, regardless of how many things there are too watch or how good the service is.

As a general rule I would prefer SQ over TG anyway, particularly as standards on the latter seem to be on a bit of a downward spiral of late.

Comment

Also you should consider what time you want to arrive in JFK.

SQ flight arrives in EWR around 5pm I believe?
                      TG flight arrives in JFK around 5am.

SQ = 18.5 hour flight
                      TG = 17.5 hour flight

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                        Also you should consider what time you want to arrive in JFK.

SQ flight arrives in EWR around 5pm I believe?
                        TG flight arrives in JFK around 5am.

SQ = 18.5 hour flight
                        TG = 17.5 hour flight
                        Hmm for me the arrival time issue is not much of a problem. Besides, although TG has a better arrival time, its departure time is a little awkward at 12 noon (I prefer to leave at night usually, to maximize time spent in New York). I'm just interested in what MAN flyer might mean when he says TG is in a downward spiral. I'm largely looking for comfort and a safe airline... If TG is not so bad in these respects, then I think the savings are worth it?

And that TG is expanding its services on this route to a daily, I'm just wondering if it is that good

Comment

There are no safety issues with TG, and the new seats on the A345 are pretty good, particularly compared to their old stuff.

However, the SpaceBed is definitely more comfortable and SQ are a few notches better service wise. That was probably just one notch a while ago but I have had some poor flights on TG in the last 12 months compared to previous experiences and I just get the impression they've lost their focus a bit over there.

Comment

Is this oil related? You can't deny that high fuel prices are going to knock the stuffing out of an 17/18 hour flight, even if loads are high. How full exactly are the flights, & can anyone give a fuel bill for a flight like this?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy777 View Post
                              Is this oil related?
                              No, but it's 10 months since the thread started.

Comment

Working...
                              X