Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have now seen (or read) it all

No wonder the kids are out of control. WTF:

An exam board is to review its marking guidance after one of its top examiners gave marks for a script which contained only a two-word sexual expletive.

The Times reported that Assessment and Qualifications Alliance chief examiner Peter Buckroyd gave a pupil two marks out of 27 for an English GCSE paper.

He is quoted as saying the candidate had demonstrated more skills than one "who doesn't write anything at all".

AQA said this was not in line with its guidelines, which would be clarified.

The pupil is reported to have written "**** off", and would have had another mark for adding an exclamation point.

Mr Buckroyd is quoted by the Times as saying: "It would be wicked to give it a zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for - like conveying some meaning and some spelling."

An AQA spokeswoman said examiners were instructed to contact the board's offices where they would be advised in accordance with the guidelines of the Joint Council for Qualifications, which represents exam boards.

She said: "As a result, an obscenity should either be disregarded, or action will be taken against the candidate, depending on the seriousness of the case.

"The example cited was unique in the experience of the senior examiner concerned and was used in a pre-training session to emphasise the importance of adhering to the mark scheme: i.e. if a candidate makes any sort of response to a question then it must be at least given consideration to be awarded a mark.

"We do not condone the use of obscenities in scripts: in the light of this incident we will be reviewing our instructions to examiners which will include reiterating the procedure to be followed when encountering obscenities in scripts."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7481715.stm

GCSE's ? What are they ? I took proper exams.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      GCSE's ? What are they ? I took proper exams.
      Now you're showing your age jhm

Comment

I knew one guy who wrote his name on an exam paper once...

... and nothing else.

He got 2 / 100.

What a champ!

Comment

Would people score 1000 marks if they drew pictures instead?
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

A few years back on the GCSE Exam, there was this also this incident where the essay topic was: The bravest thing you ever did.

One student only wrote "The bravest thing I ever did was to write just this line for this essay" and got top marks for it apparently.

I applaud his guts

Comment

Doesn't work that way down here

But once a teacher wrote an assignment "Choose one of the tasks below"

Well, a student wrote "I choose number 2" and handed in his papers. Of course they couldn't give him a bad mark for it

Since then our assignments always read something like *choose and complete blaaaah blaaaah blaaaah*.
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
              X