No announcement yet.

Increasing number of female IFM's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFS (Inflight Supervisor) is no more. Due to a pretty passive crowd of mostly male individuals that took supervision too literally (as in: I am too good to do anything), SQ renamed them to IFM (Inflight Manager) to indicate that they are expected to do (as in manage) something.

IFA (Inflight Auditor) wears a golden tie or a yellow jacket or scarf. They are not there for the service but to observe and assess the crew. Most of them involve themselves in the service to break the ice with the crew (who are usually nervous being audited) and to get better insights.

On one of my flights, a male IFA insisted in cleaning the toilet in J before I used it which left very very impressed.

Sometimes there is no IFM but two CSS out of which one is the ‘boss’ for that flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      IFS (Inflight Supervisor) is no more. Due to a pretty passive crowd of mostly male individuals that took supervision too literally (as in: I am too good to do anything), SQ renamed them to IFM (Inflight Manager) to indicate that they are expected to do (as in manage) something.

IFA (Inflight Auditor) wears a golden tie or a yellow jacket or scarf. They are not there for the service but to observe and assess the crew. Most of them involve themselves in the service to break the ice with the crew (who are usually nervous being audited) and to get better insights.

On one of my flights, a male IFA insisted in cleaning the toilet in J before I used it which left very very impressed.

Sometimes there is no IFM but two CSS out of which one is the ‘boss’ for that flight.
      The one I saw on my flight asking survey questions was wearing a black suit and black pants. No scarf.

Comment

half of my 78j flights of late have been with lady ifms and ifas whom I have previously been acquainted with over the years

these ladies are truly amazing and some of my most recent memorable flights have been with lady ifas who truly set the standard for sq's famous inflight service

Comment

Had another female IFM on SQ52 to IAH last week, as well as a fabulous female IFA. Helped by a half full JCL cabin I had great fun with the crew and especially the IFA, who is one of SQ's most senior crew (one of the 'inaugurals team') and an absolute star. It was, by far, the most relaxed crew I have ever encountered with an IFA on board. Normally they are a little on edge due to the beady eye, but these were fine. I bumped into them in the Cheesecake Factory the night we landed.

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          You are correct about the name change, which officially happened last August. I have had an IFM friend who reads this thread remind of this a number of times, so title duly changed!. The explanation you give, while partially true in some cases, is not the main reason for the change. That was because all crew from Green to Red are/were 'Supervisors' so if for example someone in YCL asked for 'the Supervisor' they got an LSS/CSS/LS instead of IFS/M.

Male IFA's were the gold tie, the females wear a gold/yellow blouse with black jacket and trousers. It was suggested previously that they should wear a Gold/Yellow Kebaya but the fear of looking like a giant chicken/bird put paid to that.

There is a wider issue/problem with IFM's brewing at the moment over the 'language routes' such as FRA/ZRH/MUC/CDG as the non-language IFM's have complained about the lack of getting these routes, which are the more lucrative for crew. As a result SQ are phasing out the IFM rank from foreign language schemes from next January, which has not gone down well in some quarters as I am sure you can imagine.

Comment

50/50 on my last flights SIN-CGK-SIN. Female IFM on the outbound SQ968 with a full business class cabin and return on SQ959 with a male IFM.

It appeared to me that the female IFM was a lot more involved, participated in the short meal service and engaged with the pax.

Comment

Two more in the last few weeks. SQ288 to SYD at the beginning of the month and SQ966 to CGK at the weekend. SQ288 was the first time my daughter has seen crew in a purple Kebaya and was very impressed!.

Also had another IFA on SQ52 yesterday, a male this time.

Comment

And another on SQ52 to MAN a couple of days ago.

They do seem to like deploying female IFM's and IFA's on SQ52/52.

Comment

i'm noticing quite a few newly minted female ifms on my flights, recently

Comment

Another recently minted, and fabulously fun, female IFM on SQ231 earlier this week. I sent a pic to a male IFM friend before take off saying they will be outnumbered soon and he knew her very well pointing out it was shame it was an overnight flight otherwise if would have been a fun one.

Comment

I had quite some so-so Service experiences with female IFM on recent flights, that in the meantime I prefer to have a male IFM in charge of cabin. It seem to me that the lady's don't care much and don't really manage their team onboard as they spent most of their time in the galley.
                      Last nite for instance they didn't distribute eyeshades and slippers, last week pre-meal drink service wasn't carried out. Service lapses which should not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                        I had quite some so-so Service experiences with female IFM on recent flights, that in the meantime I prefer to have a male IFM in charge of cabin. It seem to me that the lady's don't care much and don't really manage their team onboard as they spent most of their time in the galley.
                        Last nite for instance they didn't distribute eyeshades and slippers, last week pre-meal drink service wasn't carried out. Service lapses which should not happen.
                        Wow. On the contrary I've only had good service from female IFMs and some really really bad service from male ones... Guess it's really just down to luck and the individual..

Comment

Another one on SQ52 to MAN a couple of days ago. Jenny, who I have flown with a few times now and is great fun.

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                          Like anything else it can be hit and miss, but I can only recall one female IFM who was poor and I have only flown with her once. I have had a number of disinterested male IFM's, which with the percentage mix is to be expected.

Comment

Another one on SQ52 last week. Esther, who I haven't flown with before.

They do see like putting them on SQ51/52.

Comment

Service has been mixed, so I can't say there is any gender specificity.

Ex. Last flight LAX-SIN in F. The IFM (female) forgot to bring me my coffee. I had to go to the galley and ask. End of the flight she quipped about the coffee...

Ex. LAX-SIN in J. The IFM (male) remembered me from a F-class flight a few months back and brought me a glass of Dom

Similarly, I have had bad experiences with male IFM's and phenomenal experiences with female IFMs..

Nothing to do with gender... just how much they care to do their jobs well

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                They do see like putting them on SQ51/52.
                                And just to back that up I got another one on Thursday's SQ51 MAN-SIN.

Comment

Working...
                                X