Some musings on attaining Solitaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some musings on attaining Solitaire

I recently qualified for Solitaire after a decade or mere PPS-ness. I accumulated about 86k in PPS Value to get there, and while I did get the PPS Rewards at 30 and 40k, I did not get the 60 and 75k ones (nor had I expected to get them). It came as a pleasant surprise that I did get the 60/75k Rewards credited retroactively after qualifying for TPP. This is something SQ did not have to do, so I'm quite pleased with this. Obviously this will no longer be a consideration once the new system kicks in.

I also received my welcome package in the mail with the new cards, luggage tags and spouse card application form. Nothing special there, but the thing that really struck me is that the application for the spouse card has to be mailed physically, and that you even have to affix your own stamp. Seriously, SQ? For domestic Singapore mail? After 250k in PPS Value? It's not the cost of the stamp, obviously, but the hassle of finding a SAM and getting a stamp. I'm not used to that anymore.

Anyway, overall I'm pleased with the Rewards and the eagerly anticipating the god-like service levels that await me now.

Congratulations WBT for the TPP qualification!

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      Congratulations WBT for the TPP qualification!
      Congratulations WBT! If all works out, I might be joining you later this year. But really wondering how big of a difference there will be. Would be interested in hearing more from you as you experience the benefits of TPP.

Comment

Thank you for the congratulations! Getting to TPP has been somewhat arduous, but I'm glad I managed to squeak in under the old system.

I'm not really holding my breath for a massive change in the way I'm treated, but the main benefits I expect to get are:
        1. Spouse card: while Mrs. WBT has qualified for PPS on occasion, it's a relief not to have to worry about her status, and to have her at *G at a minimum.
        2. First class lounge access: the flights I'm on tend to depart in the peak period late at night, and it can be hard to find a spot to sit in the business class lounge at Changi. This is even more the case when traveling as a family... finding three (and soon, four) seats at that time is almost impossible. Access to other, nicer lounges at outstations is also of interest (e.g. JFK).
        3. Redemption priority: I've had pretty good experiences redeeming flights in business class the last few years, and being TPP can only help. Not sure how much, though...

Comment

And when seats are available, an upgrade to F (if you're in J) when you fly around your birthday. Get a birthday cake, lots of champagne and a homemade birthday card signed by the pilots and FAs of that flight!

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
            Nothing special there, but the thing that really struck me is that the application for the spouse card has to be mailed physically, and that you even have to affix your own stamp. Seriously, SQ? For domestic Singapore mail? After 250k in PPS Value? It's not the cost of the stamp, obviously, but the hassle of finding a SAM and getting a stamp. I'm not used to that anymore.
            Actually for spouse supp card, they emailed me a form which I printed out, filled in and emailed them a PDF version of it. They accepted.

Comment

The nicest benefit is access to the First Class Wing Check-in. There are more and more flights that have no First Class and the only way to go via the First Class Wing Check-in is to be a TPP.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                The nicest benefit is access to the First Class Wing Check-in. There are more and more flights that have no First Class and the only way to go via the First Class Wing Check-in is to be a TPP.
                I can assure you that’s not the nicest benefit of TPPS 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                  I can assure you that’s not the nicest benefit of TPPS 😉
                  What's your favorite benefit that makes TPP worth it over QPP?

Comment

Originally posted by swissfondue View Post
                    Actually for spouse supp card, they emailed me a form which I printed out, filled in and emailed them a PDF version of it. They accepted.
                    If you’re in/ around Orchard I would highly recommend to stop by the SIA office in ION. The friendly SQ rep was able to immediately link our two profiles and my partners’ was instantly upgraded. No need to mail or email the form, you just need both membership cards.

Comment

A year and a bit later...

As it's been over a year since I qualified for TPP and started this thread, I thought it might be a good time for a brief retrospective. Here are my observations, in no particular order:
                      • Spouse card: obviously nice to have, and as I speculated earlier, it does remove the stress of maintaining status. Also useful for the extra luggage allowance. One interesting quirk, which I had not realized before, is that it is definitely not equivalent to full TPP status. Mrs. WBT maintains a separate status in her KF account (silver currently) but she does receive TPP benefits while traveling, and has a different designation on her boarding passes.
                      • Lounge access: generally nicer to be in the F lounge at SIN, but mostly for the wines, spirits and citrus-infused water (and less crowding). I think I actually may prefer the food in the business lounge as the F lounge is one level above my tolerance level for fanciness. I like the on-demand prata though. And roast goose in HKG! And the VS Clubhouse at JFK. Otherwise it's been the same lounges as before.
                      • Redemption priority: over the last year I've been cashing in a lot of miles for redemptions, and have managed to get close-to-ideal/desired flights. We now typically need three redemption tickets (plus one infant) so it has become harder. I did manage to get 3 Suites saver tickets to ZRH last summer, flying back from AMS in J. Also get PER return and MUC return in J, at saver rates (both times three). My strategy is to waitlist on multiple flights/dates/destinations and see what happens. So far, so good, but requires some flexibility in timing and potentially some positioning flights.
                      • Revenue waitlist priority: all waitlists I have been put on for revenue tickets in J have cleared, even ones that looked hopeless.
                      • Call center: in chasing waitlists for redemptions I have used the PPS Connect callback a lot, and in almost every instance the agents were good to excellent, mostly from the local call center.
                      • On-board recognition: not much noticeable difference. It all depends on the crew, and the IFS. That has more bearing on the service level than TPP.
                      • Priority luggage: usually OK at Changi, hit and miss elsewhere. Checking bags through from a JetBlue connecting flight to SQ 25 usually gets them re-tagged with shiny Solitaire tags at JFK, but not always.
                      • First class check-in at Changi T3: made a much bigger impact than expected! A surprisingly useful benefit that I didn't really expect to make much of a difference.

I'm still glad I made it under the old system, and my reserve value after one year is already enough to keep me at TPP for a few years. Right now it's pretty easy for me maintain TPP but I would be flying SQ for the most part anyway. So far, so good!

Comment

Thanks for summarizing the TPP benefits in a post, WBT.
                        Your observations are quite consistent with mine.

Comment

Thanks for the update - I will be qualifying this month so let’s see what awaits.

On the service on-board, I agree it’s to do with the crew. I have had no status and been treated like a king and been PPS for years and had dismal service. One perk is getting the bulkhead seat priority on the A350 and 77W flights out of LAX in J... makes a big difference for me even on last minute flights!

Comment

Working...
                          X