• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ392 Singapore - Istanbul Aug 2014

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Does anyone have a current JFK-FRA-SIN menu? I decided against BTC on the way out and turned out to be a disappointing experience meal-wise. Want to know what's in store for me the way home (or if I should fill up in the Virgin lounge!)

Comment

• Originally posted by fimo View Post
        Does anyone have a current JFK-FRA-SIN menu? I decided against BTC on the way out and turned out to be a disappointing experience meal-wise. Want to know what's in store for me the way home (or if I should fill up in the Virgin lounge!)
        You should always BTC. Your BTC is always loaded on top of the regular catering, so you still have all choices.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          You should always BTC. Your BTC is always loaded on top of the regular catering, so you still have all choices.
          In my last 2 long hauls where I wanted something off the menu, i've been denied the option. The reason I was given is that they're loaded up with very little buffer so even if they have extra meals it will not be what I want.

The flight back is chock full in J on an A380 as was the case on my trip out so I'm assuming I will get the same excuse.

Comment

In my last 2 long hauls where I wanted something off the menu, i've been denied the option. The reason I was given is that they're loaded up with very little buffer so even if they have extra meals it will not be what I want.

The flight back is chock full in J on an A380 as was the case on my trip out so I'm assuming I will get the same excuse.
            Are you sure you were 'denied' the option? Some flight attendants might try to convince you to stick to your BTC if you want a choice that might be popular on the particular flight.

The recommended strategy is to offer the FA to ask all other passengers first and then come back to see whether your preferred choice is still available. If you are a PPS, I am pretty certain that for some reason they will have exactly one meal left. It will be the one that you wanted :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              Are you sure you were 'denied' the option? Some flight attendants might try to convince you to stick to your BTC if you want a choice that might be popular on the particular flight.

The recommended strategy is to offer the FA to ask all other passengers first and then come back to see whether your preferred choice is still available. If you are a PPS, I am pretty certain that for some reason they will have exactly one meal left. It will be the one that you wanted :-)
              Well denied the option in that i don't get to choose freely. I had to wait for them to serve the whole cabin first. And my choice was no longer available. And I am Solitaire PPS. Happened twice.

Comment

Does anyone have a current JFK-FRA-SIN menu? I decided against BTC on the way out and turned out to be a disappointing experience meal-wise. Want to know what's in store for me the way home (or if I should fill up in the Virgin lounge!)
                For JFK-FRA I would definitely eat in the VS CH anyway. That flight is too short, with or without heavy tailwinds, to eat on board and get a decent sleep. I eat in the CH then just try and sleep on board.

Originally posted by fimo View Post
                Well denied the option in that i don't get to choose freely. I had to wait for them to serve the whole cabin first. And my choice was no longer available. And I am Solitaire PPS. Happened twice.
                Surprised to hear that as TPP. It is true they don't load the (frankly silly) excess that they used to but as TPP you should have got what you wanted. I presume the cabins were full ?.

Comment

• Had the most horrible BTC ex SG to HK. The meat was tough and completely dry. It was so tasteless that it could match plain congee. I had the picture but i wonder how can i post it here...... order at own risk.

The Grilled angus beef burger was equally bad. Saw my neighbour ordered it, she abandoned it after taking 2 bites..... if you take the morning flight to HK, i think only the dim sum is edible... at least the fried carrot cake smelled good.....

Going to write off BTC from now....

Comment

I've had that as KF*G and KF*S. Mostly on my redeyes... but now I tend to just pick off the menu unless I want something with alot more moisture for when I wake up.

Comment

Am shocked to hear this, fimo. Even when I was PPS, they would always come over to me to ask for my order quite early and I've never been denied my first choice. Once I ordered a BTC (they would double check quite early on the flight) but liked something from the menu, they had no issues with that. That was the exception, usually when I order BTC I stick to it - hate wasting food.

Having said that most of my flights are +10 hours long. I wonder if they are more generous in ensuring that they have some excess on these long flights versus the shorter regional ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        Am shocked to hear this, fimo. Even when I was PPS, they would always come over to me to ask for my order quite early and I've never been denied my first choice. Once I ordered a BTC (they would double check quite early on the flight) but liked something from the menu, they had no issues with that. That was the exception, usually when I order BTC I stick to it - hate wasting food.
                        Happened to me on SIN-JFK and SIN-FRA sectors (can't remember which direction though) Definitely service lapses IMO as on one occassion they both forgot to reconfirm my BTC (as is the norm) and rather clearly forgot my main as I was served very late. I kinda wanted to see how long it would take them to realise their error. Now that I am reminded of this incident I wish I had remembered to send in feedback about this after the flight. This was one of those times where I would have liked to pick something off the menu instead of taking my BTC.

Having said that most of my flights are +10 hours long. I wonder if they are more generous in ensuring that they have some excess on these long flights versus the shorter regional ones.
                        Since this happened on my ultra/long hauls that's why I"m asking for my JFK-SIN as with the long flight and having had to put up with not great catering on my 3wk business trip so far, being trapped on the plane with more bad food or subpar service is just going to make the flight even longer than it is! #Firstworldproblems, I know.

The upside is the meeting agenda before my flight has changed so I will have far more time in the VS lounge than expected so I can at least have a decent meal before I board the whalejet. The other downer being I really do not like flying the A380 so being able to have a halfway decent experience would help. And that includes my meal selections!

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          For JFK-FRA I would definitely eat in the VS CH anyway. That flight is too short, with or without heavy tailwinds, to eat on board and get a decent sleep. I eat in the CH then just try and sleep on board.
                          Yep, I have time for that now, so it helps.

Surprised to hear that as TPP. It is true they don't load the (frankly silly) excess that they used to but as TPP you should have got what you wanted. I presume the cabins were full ?.
                          Yes very full flights. And it is very full going JFK-SIN (as it was SIN-JFK) I'm just anticipating the same problem again....

Comment

• SQ 978 SIN-BKK September 2014

dinner menu SINGAPORE TO BANGKOK

starter

Marinated salmon with cucumber salad and mesclun
                            Citrus dressing

Main

Chicken breast stuffed with chicken forcemeat
                            served with crushed new potato, tomato, olive, parsley, and garlic

Pla Kao Lard Prik
                            Thai style deep fried garoupa fish fillet with mixed vegetables and steamed rice

Roasted kuro buta pork loin
                            served with roasted potato, caramelised apple, fine beans, baby carrot, and charcuterie sauce

Finale

Pineapple coconut mousse

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas

Comment

• SQ 981 BKK-SIN September 2014

dinner menu BANGKOK TO SINGAPORE

starter

Thai style assorted seafood salad

Main

Chicken in tarragon vinegar sauce with vegetables and raisin-basmati rice

Kra pau moo
                              Thai style pork with fresh basil, vegetables, omelette, and steamed rice

Steamed fish fillet with tomato sauce, seasonal vegetables, and buttered parsley potatoes

Finale

Orange cardamom cake
                              with vanilla sauce

Comment

• SQ 976 SIN-BKK Oct 2014

light meal menu SINGAPORE TO BANGKOK

Starter
                                Smoked duck salad
                                Thai inspired smoked duck with Asian herbs, baby lettuce, fried shallots and peanut served with sweet chilli sauce

Main

*Pan fried beef fillet
                                Served with sautéed asparagus, radish, brussel sprouts,
                                Fondant potato, vine ripened tomato, prunes, and madeira wine sauce

Pan roasted tiger prawns
                                With sautéed asparagus, baby carrots, vine ripened tomato,
                                mashed potato and light mustard cream sauce

Kai yaang
                                Thai style grilled marinated chicken with dipping sauce, seasonal vegetables
                                and fried pineapple rice

Finale
                                Cream cheese charlotte

*Exclusively created by Georges Blanc, Vonnas

SQ976A SIN-BKK (LM) 59-1.1 10-12 RC
                                Last edited by itami; 5 October 2014, 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X