Singapore Dining - Burger & Lobster @ Jewel Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Dining - Burger & Lobster @ Jewel Changi Airport

Now that the COVID-19 lockdown has been partially lifted, life has slowly returned to Jewel @ Changi Airport, at least for F&B and shopping, even if flights themselves are still severely curtailed.

I live in the East of Singapore, a 10 minute drive from Jewel, and have been visiting Jewel for both meals and shopping in recent weeks.

Jewel these days is busy – not crazy busy, but there are reasonable crowds patronising the shops and restaurants there. There are queues at the usual places, like Shake Shack, and also A&W in the basement.

Earlier today, I headed to Burger & Lobster at Jewel for lunch with Mrs yflyer and Miss yflyer no.2.

While there are many excellent dining outlets at Jewel, one of our favourites is Burger and Lobster, which is located in a very pleasant and open canopy area at the top of Jewel.

While complete enclosed and air-conditioned within the Jewel dome, this place has the feel of an outdoor dining area. The ambience is relaxed and casual.

Burger & Lobster serves an interesting juxtaposition of comfort food like burgers alongside premium fare like whole lobster.

Their menu is available online here.

Food items aside, they also have a nice range of beverages and cocktails.

Some (But not all) of the tables have partial views of Jewel, and overall dining there is a nice way to soak in the unique atmosphere of Jewel.

There is also a small upstairs dining area accessible by staircase, where tables can be reserved in advance.

There were nice views of Jewel from up there.

That said, you had great views of Jewel and the waterfall from almost anywhere on that level of the Jewel.

Comment

Apart from the open setting, what also caught your eye were the tanks of lobsters.

These were the regular lobsters on the menu...

On the day we were there, the lobsters also included a tank of gigantic specimens, each more than 2 kg in weight. These were the so called "Big Boys". Considering that the regular lobsters on the menu were about 600g each, and were already a good size, these "Big Boys" were just in another league...

…with jaw-dropping prices to match…

Those would be great for a special occasion or large party.

We stuck to the regular menu items while we were there.
      Last edited by yflyer; 13 September 2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

We began with cocktails…a “BBQ” Whiskey Sour for me, and a BL Nespresso Martini for Mrs yflyer...

Miss yflyer no.2 was not left out: she had a mocktail; No Gin Tonic.

Our cocktails were very expertly mixed, and quite delicious (Not something to take for granted for restaurants in Singapore!).

Given the name of the restaurant, we thought it would be important for us to order both the burgers and the lobster.

Miss yflyer no.2 ordered a Smoked BBQ burger, which she liked very much. You had a choice of medium or medium-rare. She ordered her burger medium. The burger came beautifully stacked, with a generously sized beef patty.

I had a bite and found it quite delicious.

As for Mrs yflyer and I, we decided on the Original Lobster. These were whole, Canadian lobsters, caught wild and imported live. These were of a decent size, with large claws, averaging 600g each.

“Would you like the lobster steamed or grilled?”, our cheerful waitress asked.

Hmmm…decisions….we did what any pair of indecisive diners would do: we ordered one of each.

These came beautifully presented on large platters…

These came with fries, salad and a lemon butter sauce…

Mrs yflyer and I exchanged half a lobster each, so that we could each try the grilled and steamed versions.

Mrs yflyer loved the smoky grilled flavours of the grilled lobster, whereas I found the clean, pure lobster flavours of the steamed version quite delicious, especially when dipped in the lemon butter sauce.

Since flying SQ to eat their BTC Lobster Thermidor was no longer an option at the moment, this wasn’t too bad a substitute!

Overall the lobsters had tender, juicy flesh, with massive claws that were really tasty.

The claws came pre-cracked, so getting at all that meat wasn’t too difficult. You were given one of these metal seafood implements as well to get at the hard-to-reach bits inside the shell too.

Last edited by yflyer; 13 September 2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

On a previous occasion, I had dined on their lobster roll, which had chunks of lobster in a buttery roll.

This was satisfying, but no match for the ultra generous lobster rolls that you could get in Boston.

On that other occasion, we dined in the evening, where the illusion of outdoor dining was even more complete as the sun set and the dome of Jewel grew dark.

Last edited by yflyer; 13 September 2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Dessert was a shared portion of chocolate jewels, which were chocolate balls filled with a rich, soft chocolate, and drizzled with salted caramel sauce. These were quite delicious.

Last edited by yflyer; 13 September 2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Overall, a very enjoyable dining experience, with very pleasant ambience and attentive service. I would recommend both the burgers and the lobsters (and the lobster roll too, with the caveat that if you are used to the Boston version, this might seem a little underwhelming…). Also recommended are the cocktails. And for a night to remember, those “big boy” lobsters look hard to resist!

Note that the place can get busy at peak hours, so probably best to make a reservation to avoid having to queue.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Thanks for report!

Looks great.

I'll be heading there sooner rather than later since I ain't flying anytime soon!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  Thanks for report!

Looks great.

I'll be heading there sooner rather than later since I ain't flying anytime soon!
                  Thanks for reading, 9V-SIA! It's a nice place for a meal after an outing at Jewel!

Comment

Working...
                  X