SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About SQ Subsidiary Airlines

Old 1st December 2017, 03:41 PM   #1
SQ025
SQTalk Elite Gold

Default Scoot adds Berlin

Scoot announced today that they will start flights to Berlin.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ul-destination

Last edited by SQ025; 1st December 2017 at 05:26 PM..
SQ025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 03:53 PM   #2
reddevil0728
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ025 View Post
Scoot announced today that they will start flights to Berlin.

http://http://www.straitstimes.com/s...ul-destination
Issue with the link
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 04:49 PM   #3
msndelevium
SQTalker

Programs: KrisFlyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer

Here's the link

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ul-destination
msndelevium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 05:27 PM   #4
SQ025
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil0728 View Post
Issue with the link

fixed
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:15 PM   #5
yflyer
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: Krisflyer/Star Gold, Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire

That is fantastic news! Berlin is a great city to visit, and it will work fine as a gateway to other European destinations as well.

And personally speaking, I am a fan of classical music, so having a direct flight to the home base of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, one of the world's top orchestras, if not the very top, might come in handy at some point in the future too...
yflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 07:47 AM   #6
mst
SQTalker

I would have enjoyed some real SQ flights even more, but I guess that was an option we got only once many, many years ago.

But a direct flight to Changi and connecting to SQ there is at least something to consider. Would save the connecting flight to FRA or MUC plus 1-2h stopover there ... and save me from connecting with LH
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Tonitan
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: Krisflyer,Privilege Club,Asia Miles,Flying Blue

I wonder that is Scoot’s target segment,business travellers usually give such Long haul LCC route a miss and for leisure travellers,Berlin is not such a mainstream leisure destination. They could be better off deploying the dreamliner to routes such as Reykjavik (which would be S.E Asia’s only Direct service if the aircraft has the range) or perhaps LED (St Petes- strong demand for Russians headed to our regional beaches).
Tonitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 11:56 PM   #8
ek&sq
SQTalk Elite Gold

I wonder how LH feels about this.. IIRC Scoot is excluded from their Joint Venture.
ek&sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 06:44 PM   #9
mst
SQTalker

Surely not targeting business travelers or they could have simply chose it as an SQ destination. And unfortunately the city and area is likely still not having too much big business attracting international visitors.
Regarding leisure, well, even after years the town is still booming and I can hardly step outside my office without bumping into the next tourist group passing by. And low cost carriers added a lot to that, bringing in people for a weekend to party in Berlin. But that's European folks, can't really imagine too many flying in from Singapore to dance away a weekend in Berlin. But maybe they're expecting to use it as a hub into central Europe? As well as getting people out to an Asian hub.
There are hardly any long distance flights from Berlin, everything rather goes thru Munich or Frankfurt, so cheaper connection could be interesting.

And regarding the join venture with LH, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's something put on paper but in daily business there's no sign of them working closer together at all.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:32 PM   #10
ek&sq
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
And regarding the join venture with LH, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's something put on paper but in daily business there's no sign of them working closer together at all.
As of Oct 1, the two groups share revenue on tickets between Singapore and Germany/Switzerland/Austria. You might not notice their cooperation as a passenger, but their flights are now financially intertwined. A passenger who previously flew SIN-MUC/FRA-BER would contribute to the common pot of revenue. If the passenger now chooses to fly SIN-BER on TZ, the revenue belongs to Scoot.
ek&sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 04:26 AM   #11
mst
SQTalker

There must have been some split before that agreement if LH acted as the local feeder for them.
Anyway, there might be this deal in the background, but as a passenger you don't really notice any change in combined operations. You're still often sitting between two independent operators with SQ usually trying to cover up for LH's lack in service.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:26 AM   #12
SQ025
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonitan View Post
Berlin is not such a mainstream leisure destination.
Indeed it is. Berlin claims to be one of the Top 3 European travel destinations. Berlins tourism growth is mainly fuelled by LCCs and to add such a destination without competition from Asia is the right move. Berlin is attracting a younger crowd, its a good destination to start off and easy to get elsewhere in Europe by LCC.