No announcement yet.

Minimising the Stress: BKK Taxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel has its forms of comfort. Said comfort is different from person to person. Wanting to feel comfortable/safe has little to do with being ripped off.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Unless of course, they pretend they don't understand what you're saying. In which case, learn to speak the local lingo.
      Quite. In that case ... in case I'm ever so dumb to get into one of these rattling death traps, I should get a Bangkok taxi flashcard - "Slow the f*ck down ... please!" - like my Greek taxi flashcard!

Comment

I'm sure we can arrange one for you, jhm! (Although I smell an opportunity for anyone who's an enterprising iPhone App maker)...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          I'm sure we can arrange one for you, jhm! (Although I smell an opportunity for anyone who's an enterprising iPhone App maker)...
          I think there may already be one out there, I know the thai lingo app I have on my iPhone has quite an interesting array of phrases - i'll have to fire her up tonight when I get home and see what it comes up

Comment

Oh dear, despite the deliberate use of smileys, some people have taken some of this stuff far too seriously.

Comment

Seems like a long time ago...

Can the AOT pansies pay for the round trip with credit cards at the airport?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Can the AOT pansies pay for the round trip with credit cards at the airport?
                You can indeed. And until the end of this month they are offering an additional 10% discount for the BMW 7 series, Merc E Class and the London Cab ( ) if you pay with Amex.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  You can indeed. And until the end of this month they are offering an additional 10% discount for the BMW 7 series, Merc E Class and the London Cab ( ) if you pay with Amex.
                  How much is that (without the discount) for a one way and a roundtrip?
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Landed at 22:30. Booked a pansy taxi and checked into the SGS just before midnight. Left London on Thursday, Seoul on Friday night, Taipei yesterday night, Bangkok tonight and Kathmandu tomorrow for the day before flying out at night. I need to wake up today in in 5 hours' time - no exploring of Bangkok I think...

AOT limos has SUV's for 950 THB each way, and usually 25-50% off the return if you book it at the airport.
                    And until the end of this month they are offering an additional 10% discount for the BMW 7 series, Merc E Class and the London Cab ( ) if you pay with Amex.
                    I just asked at the AOT desk inside the baggage hall and they offered me the price (1200 THB to the SGS; 900 THB back the next morning). I assumed I was getting the cheapest SUV but it turned out to be a London Cab (in Bangkok! ).

For next time, do I have to specifically ask for the SUV ? Or does it just depend on what's available ?

And I paid with my BA Amex credit card but no discount offered (and I didn't remember the above until I re-read it just now). Perhaps it applies only to an Amex chargecard ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      I just asked at the AOT desk inside the baggage hall and they offered me the price (1200 THB to the SGS; 900 THB back the next morning). I assumed I was getting the cheapest SUV but it turned out to be a London Cab (in Bangkok! ).

For next time, do I have to specifically ask for the SUV ? Or does it just depend on what's available ?

And I paid with my BA Amex credit card but no discount offered (and I didn't remember the above until I re-read it just now). Perhaps it applies only to an Amex chargecard ?
                      Pansy got cheated! At an official AOT taxi-stand some more! Cheh!

I find that one has to be constantly alert in certain countries - Thailand is one of them.

I do not think it depends on what is available... it depends on what they can get out from you. They did try that on us when we were together last time but I was streetsmart enough to insist on the normal one. Thought there was a pciture of the cars they'd show you? You have obviously forgotten that happened.

Cheated out of the Amex discount too?!

Must lodge complaint!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        And then there are those of us who utilize the hotel cars to relax after a long flight...and gain some additional points.
                        Opps hehehe

Comment

I got diddled again today at the BKK pansy taxi stand!

I asked for a taxi. The girl said that a premium taxi costs something like THB 2,100! I asked for something cheaper and she quoted me THB 1,200 for a "standard taxi" (her words). I accepted thinking that I'll be getting the SUV MAN Flyer mentioned (I had no time to check the price in this thread this morning) ... only to walk outside and find myself in a London cab again!

Oh well, another ride in the cab back to the airport tomorrow morning ... I'm certainly doing my bit to keep these things on the road!

Comment

I asked for a taxi. The girl said that a premium taxi costs something like THB 2,100! I asked for something cheaper and she quoted me THB 1,200 for a "standard taxi" (her words). I accepted thinking that I'll be getting the SUV MAN Flyer mentioned (I had no time to check the price in this thread this morning) ... only to walk outside and find myself in a London cab again!

Oh well, another ride in the cab back to the airport tomorrow morning ... I'm certainly doing my bit to keep these things on the road!
                            Give me a toyota corolla anyday
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I haven't taken a London Cab but I think they are around THB 1200ish. Those Isuzu MU7's are the cheapest ones they have at THB 950 each way, less the current dicount on the return.

When you are at the desk turn one of the mats over and it shows all the cars they have on the back. It does amuse me how they keep them turned over as though they are trying to hide them, which is probably the reason. When I was at the desk a few week ago a British couple walked up and asked and were told THB 1400 each way, until I intervened and got them an MU7 for THB 950.

T.I.T.

Comment

T.I.T.
                                I think I got T.I.T.ted again today!

BD award TG xxx-BKK-xxx. Arrived yesterday afternoon in BKK and departed this morning. I was told by TG J check-in that I had to pay the THB 700 airport fee because although it was < 24 hours, I left the transit area ?!? This has never happened to me in similar circumstances before, e.g. a few months ago!

Comment

Working...
                                X