Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
    maybe you have to be CSG. Enroll and try ù
    Erm..pardon my ignorance..what is CSG ???

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
      Erm..pardon my ignorance..what is CSG ???
      CSG = Club Swiss Gold
      http://csg.swissotel.com/index.php

Comment

Superjonjon anticipated me.
        I used to be a CSG. There are particular targeted promos both for base members and for elite members.
        cheers
        Luke
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Can I ask if anyone stayed at the brand new Pullman Bangkok King Power? Is a brand new hotel. The rates are having special offer now. Anyone stayed there? Is it convenient and good hotel worth staying? Or will you recommend some others like Westin?

Comment

From the previous pages...

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Ooh! Finally a thread I can be good at.

The latest hotel pulling in all the high-flyers is the Pullman Hotel (top-end of the Accor group) in Bangkok. It's in Rangnam (near Pratunam/Pathumwan) which is where the ZEN (ex-World Trade Centre) shopping centre is located.

They have a 'golden tuk-tuk' service that takes you just out of the hotel compound to the Skytrain, which is not even a 5-minute walk (the hotel is located on a massive landscaped compound because it's connected to the Bangkok King Power Duty Free). The Skytrain is only 2 stops away from Siam city centre (MBK-Paragon area).

Think very spacious. Michelin-star chefs (for 1,200baht, that's dirt cheap). And their executive suite has a bathtub bigger than my small Singaporean 2nd bathroom.

Cost is around 90usd per night (begins at 2,700baht for superior, 3,000 for exec deluxe and 3,300 for exec suite).

So far I've tried the Deluxe (2 weekends ago) and the Suite (Christmas-New Year last year) but would definitely do the Suite again next round. 5-star all the way without the cost.

For absolute budget (20-30usd a night), book the Ibis Siam through the Accor website online. It's also in the same area as the Pullman. Since LX arrives Bangkok close to 11pm, I generally book my first night at the Ibis, wake up early and check into the Pullman for the rest of my stay.

Free 1 piece laundry per day, iPod dock (iPod not included), complimentary Internet, Skylounge with breakfast/evening drinks/snacks and desserts in-between for Exec-room/suite-rs, great cheap room service, and plush, plush ameneties/carpets, crazy fruit baskets (I got a pineapple once wrapped in a huge leaf filled with fruit salad complimentary). And you can ask them to send a coconut to the poolside as your welcome drink. Also really cheap lunch/dinner promos.

The bar can get pricey depending how/what you order, so be careful.

Forget the Lebua State Tower recommended by Conde Nast. Pullman is by far the most modern, value-for-money secret that just hit Bangkok.

Fantastic. And since I'm under the Accor Advantage Plus program, I get 2-for-1 eating treats also, which I've abused a fair bit..

Comment

I am undecided on between the Westin and Sheraton. Can anyone advise me which is better? Understand Westin has Club Lounge but Sheraton does not have, but Sheraton has better room amenities than Westin.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                I am undecided on between the Westin and Sheraton. Can anyone advise me which is better? Understand Westin has Club Lounge but Sheraton does not have, but Sheraton has better room amenities than Westin.
                By Sheraton do you mean Royal Orchid Sheraton? Or Sheraton Grande Sukumvhit?

I'm assuming the latter as it's opposite the Westin Grande, and hence the indecision.

The SPG properties in BKK all have their fans it really depends on what you're after in terms of location and decor. I personally like the Westin because it's far more contemporary in decor than the other properties, but other people will say that the Sheraton Grande has stellar service. Not that the service at the Westin is subpar by any measure mind you.

FWIW the Westin has a v nice lounge, with a lovely spread at breakfast. Both hot and cold options.

If it's the ROS you're referring to, I'd leave MAN Flyer to sell you on that one.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 June 2008, 07:59 PM.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've only stayed in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and agree with what keithMEL said. I got treated very well as a SPG PLT.

Actually, if you have more than 1 night in BKK, participate in the SPG programme (so need stays for gold or platinum status; or have signed up for stay X stays (not nights) get Y points offers) and don't mind the inconvenience (although the hotels are only opposite each other), I'd mattress run between the two, i.e. stay in one hotel 1 night, then move to the other and then move back etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    Actually, if you have more than 1 night in BKK, participate in the SPG programme (so need stays for gold or platinum status; or have signed up for stay X stays (not nights) get Y points offers) and don't mind the inconvenience (although the hotels are only opposite each other), I'd mattress run between the two, i.e. stay in one hotel 1 night, then move to the other and then move back etc.
                    Not to mention you get to check out both hotels and make up your own mind.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                      This debate will run for ever, and there are many opinions on it, but the Sheraton (SGS) is far better than the Westin imho.

The Westin does have a lounge, but the SGS gives you three different options for evening cocktails ; The Sala next to the pool, the Living Room, which is the main bar near the Library and also BarSu, which is the bar/nightclub at ground level. At all of these you can just order from the bar at no charge, a system I wish more hotels would introduce. You can also have breakfast at Sala if you wish.

The Pool at the SGS is very nice, set out in a quiet tropical setting and you wouldn't think you were on Sukhumvit Road. The pool at the Westin is very poor in comparison. I also don't like the PITA double lift system at the Westin where you go up a few floors then have to walk around past reception to another set of lifts to get to your room.

As jhm says, if you need the stay credits you'd be hard pushed to find two easier properties for a mattress run. Straight across the the walkway through the BTS station. You can also eat/drink at either property and sign it to your room.
                      Last edited by MAN Flyer; 16 June 2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        You can also eat/drink at either property and sign it to your room.
                        I never knew that!!
                        Last time I stayed at the WGS I tried to claim SPG points directly when dining over at the SGS (since the bill was way above USD10). Gave them my card only to be met with puzzled looks, but they took down their number and promised to "try." I never did get the points of course. Oh well, learnt something new.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Gave them my card only to be met with puzzled looks, but they took down their number and promised to "try." I never did get the points of course.
                          What card did you give them, your room card or SPG card ?.

All you do is sign the bill and put your Westin room number in. I regularly see Westin guests in BarSu do it.

Comment

.. BarSu, which is the bar/nightclub at ground level.
                            Is this where Riva's used to be?

Comment

What card did you give them, your room card or SPG card ?.

All you do is sign the bill and put your Westin room number in. I regularly see Westin guests in BarSu do it.
                              I gave them the SPG card, and paid for my bill there and then as I didn't know about the WGS-SGS arrangement.

Comment

Only tried the Westin while I was only a regular member last year. Stayed 3 nights and got the 4th night free...a pretty good deal IMHO.

I WILL definitely try the Sheraton and Westin (again as PLT) in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X