Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    Good news...they have recently completed the footpath/cycling bridge and linkway along the East Coast Park footpath/cycling track (after Fort Road) that leads right up to Gardens By the Bay East, and the Marina Barrage.

That means that you can now cycle (or jog...) all the way from Changi Point (including Changi Coast Road) and Changi Beach Park, along various Park Connectors and the East Coast Park, all the way to Marina Barrage, Gardens By the Bay, and from there continue to Marina Bay and the city heritage district, along a dedicated cycling track and footpath.

This video (Not my video, a public FB video from 12Cycle) shows the section of East Coast Park after Fort Road, which is now open.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=794693693940078
    I wonder if the path will be used for running races or marathons in future.

The past few standard chartered marathon singapore we had to turn out to the road leading to the construction site area (also known as the "death valley" due to lack of natural shades) before the linkway to Area A of east coast park.
    Last edited by orionmiz; 9 April 2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
      I wonder if the path will be used for running races or marathons in future.

The past few standard chartered marathon singapore we had to turn out to the road leading to the construction site area (also known as the "death valley" due to lack of natural shades) before the linkway to Area A of east coast park.
      Yes, running in the sun in Singapore is quite a challenge. I try to stay out of the heat if possible these days by running early or late in the day, but if I really need to head for a run in the sun, I use a lot of sunblock, a white cap, and a white or light coloured T shirt.

Still need to buy a pair of running sunglasses though, as the glare still gets to me.

Comment

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...coast-20150424

Comment

Instead of East Coast Park, I'll run along Changi Coast Rd this Saturday. Last week-end, when we flew back into Changi, I wondered when that road would be closed to public, could be soon, right ? Even now, it looks very sad, in between the airport and the T5 site ! At least the trees are still there, but for how long ?

Comment

Nice clear skies today!

The view from Bedok Jetty less than an hour ago...

Last edited by yflyer; 3 November 2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Earlier today I went for a long, slow run along East Coast Park and the Coastal Park Connector alongside Changi Coast Road, ending at Changi Beach Park.

There have been some changes to the initial stretch of the Coastal Park Connector leading to Changi Coast Road, which is the long stretch of road parallel to runway 02/20C.

There isn't much shade any longer, given that the whole reclaimed land area is now a flat and sandy construction site, but the cycling/walking path and Coastal Park Connector is still intact, with some parts newly built and rerouted, which means you can cycle along the coastline all the way from Marina Bay to Changi Village if you want to.

The picture below shows the new stretch of the coastal park connector, with Changi Airport to the left (You can just see the control tower on the left side of the picture) which is just after you cross the traffic lights at Tanah Merah Coast road. This joins up with the old path about 1 km or so up the connector.

Still a pleasant (if quiet) stretch to cycle or jog on.

Best to go in the early morning or late afternoon/evening, or on overcast days, as it can get very hot on sunny days.

Comment

I went for a long run along Changi Coast Road today. If anyone was there walking or cycling, and saw a guy in white cap and white shirt jogging slowly along the footpath there between 11am and 12 noon, that was me .

It is still a very pleasant route from East Coast Park all the way to Changi Beach Park (and on to Changi Village). You could start at MBS if you wanted to, but I started near the old East Coast Lagoon.

Most of the route is partly shaded, except for much of the cycle track / footpath along Changi Coast Road itself, where you are exposed to the sun.

Interestingly when I started my run, aircraft were landing from the South on 02C, but as I approached the Changi Coast Road, they turned the airport, and aircraft began taking off from 20C instead. Mostly Air Asia and Jetstar A320's, although an ANA Dreamliner also took off while I was running parallel to the runway there.

It got very hot close to noon, and I was sweating buckets by the time I finished at Changi Beach park.

A more pleasant route in the morning or evening, but even at that hour I did see many cyclists. If you are into cycling or jogging, do check out this route before they close the road and divert it to make way for T5!

Comment

It is a terrible cycling route especially with the North East monsoon blowing and cycling from ECPark to Changi Village....
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    It is a terrible cycling route especially with the North East monsoon blowing and cycling from ECPark to Changi Village....
                    Interesting perspective! I'm not a cyclist, but I had the impression it was popular with cyclists just based on the sheer number of them I saw along the route, both along the footpath/cycling track, and along Changi Coast Road itself.

Comment

yfler for the kind of distance you covered, I need a month to recover.

i have never (needed) to run a straight 3,000 metres with no end in sight, just imagining the prospects of that....

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                        yfler for the kind of distance you covered, I need a month to recover.

i have never (needed) to run a straight 3,000 metres with no end in sight, just imagining the prospects of that....
                        Hi, jammed! Believe it or not, when I started out on my runs, I was in the same position as you...only did 2km-3km each time. It was a very long process, over many years, before I started running longer distances.

That long straight stretch along Changi Coast Road is quite something. It just goes on and on. One friend (who is a more serious runner than me) tried it once and decided never again...too boring for him, although he runs much further and faster. On the other hand, I find it almost zen-like putting one foot in front of the other, on a seemingly neverending path.

I go at a very leisurely pace -- nothing like the serious runners who take part in mass running events which are so popular these days! I have never taken part in any marathon, half marathon or any kind of mass running event.

The runs keep me in good enough shape to go on sightseeing runs while travelling. Not to mention the occasional meal in a foreign land .

Comment

Interesting perspective! I'm not a cyclist, but I had the impression it was popular with cyclists just based on the sheer number of them I saw along the route, both along the footpath/cycling track, and along Changi Coast Road itself.
                          As you had said ... the coastal road is long and boring.... not much shade, on a hot day its a killer, during the NE Monsoon, you have head wind all the way until Changi jetty.... I prefer to cycle along the ECP, where there are better scenery .... with ladies dressed a little less, jogging, cycling, roller blading.... more shade, more interesting...
                          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Hi, jammed! Believe it or not, when I started out on my runs, I was in the same position as you...only did 2km-3km each time. It was a very long process, over many years, before I started running longer distances.
                            ha ha, my 'journey' runs opposite of yrs - I used to run x-country in school, clocked 1:30 for 21k, etc. but when kids came along, the frequency, distances and speed all went down (the waist line did go up!) I'll be delighted to put in 5k a week. Only recently am I (re)starting 10k every Saturday mornings.

That long straight stretch along Changi Coast Road is quite something. It just goes on and on. One friend (who is a more serious runner than me) tried it once and decided never again...too boring for him, although he runs much further and faster. On the other hand, I find it almost zen-like putting one foot in front of the other, on a seemingly neverending path.
                            I totally identify with yr experience on long runs - thinking over how to angle stuff, how to deal with certain chaps, etc. But provided one is in good form and not struggling to breathe or willing that sore leg to move another step. But 3,000 metres on the straight, think that'll kill me.

The runs keep me in good enough shape to go on sightseeing runs while travelling. Not to mention the occasional meal in a foreign land .
                            interestingly I have noticed I'm in my best fitness when I'm overseas - away from the family, the discipline of starting the day at the gym, etc. But my views of BBC and CNN on the threadmill cant compare with the sights on yr Run Reports, embedded within yr TRs. Keep those coming!

Comment

ha ha, my 'journey' runs opposite of yrs - I used to run x-country in school, clocked 1:30 for 21k, etc.
                              Wow...that's really fast! Very impressive!

interestingly I have noticed I'm in my best fitness when I'm overseas - away from the family, the discipline of starting the day at the gym, etc.
                              It takes discipline to head out to the gym first thing in the morning before work. Hats off to you! I am more of an after hours gym/run person.

But my views of BBC and CNN on the threadmill cant compare with the sights on yr Run Reports, embedded within yr TRs. Keep those coming!
                              Glad you enjoy reading those! I did a run in Tokyo to the Tokyo Sky Tree not long ago...will post that some time soon!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                                I prefer to cycle along the ECP, where there are better scenery .... with ladies dressed a little less, jogging, cycling, roller blading.... more shade, more interesting...
                                Agree that there is more to see heading towards the city! I heard either towards the airport or towards the city depending on my mood. Some days I want to take in the lively beach scene on my runs...other days I just appreciate the solitude of heading towards Changi Beach.

Comment

Working...
                                X