Confirmed : TG to scrap non-stop to JFK and LAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TG to scrap non-stop to JFK and LAX

When this thread started, oil was at USD81 per barrel. It is now USD110+. EOS and Maxjet have gone belly up. I hope SQs all biz A345 service will be a success but with 4 trips a year to New York, and hotel prices what they are in Manhatten, it's going to be difficult to justify the S$12k price tag out of pocket every flight (Instead of Y+ and mileage upgrade whenever I accumulate enough miles )

So this year, I've done SIN-EWR-SIN already on J , and planning SIN-EWR-JFK-SIN in Jun on J (to test the one stop option.) and TG SIN-BKK-JFK-BKK-SIN in Oct on J.Finally haven't decided which airline to NY for Thanksgiving.

Will keep you informed of my impression. TG is half the price at S$5k. The money I save can pay for my hotels in NY

I hope both will continue to be viable flights. I can't help thinking the extra 2 hours SQ A345 have to fly to SIN compared to TG to BKK reduces their payload and money making ability.TG carry more PAXs because they have 2 hours less to fly.

It's an impressive flight and I stand in awe from the departure lounge/aerobridge when I am about to board the beast.
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 May 2008, 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      When this thread started, oil was at USD81 per barrel. It is now USD110+. EOS and Maxjet have gone belly up. I hope SQs all biz A345 service will be a success but with 4 trips a year to New York, and hotel prices what they are in Manhatten, it's going to be difficult to justify the S$12k price tag out of pocket and KF miles..

So this year, I've done SIN-EWR-SIN this month on J , and planning SIN-EWR-JFK-SIN in Jun on J (to test the one stop option) and TG SIN-BKK-JFK-BKK-SIN in Oct on J.Finally haven't decided which airline to NY for Thanksgiving.

Will keep you informed of my impression. TG is half the price at S$5k. I'm the money I save can pay for my hotels in NY

I hope both will continue to be viable flights. I can't help thinking the extra 2 hours SQ A345 have to fly to SIN compared to TG to BKK reduces their payload and money making ability.TG carry more PAXs because they have 2 hours less to fly.

It's an impressive flight and I stand in awe from the departure lounge/aerobridge when I am about to board the beast.
      I didn't like the 744 via FRA - SQ21/22 is always much better, even in EE...

Would like to know how the TG flight is, because I have some TG miles to burn soon!

Comment

When this thread started, oil was at USD81 per barrel. It is now USD110+. EOS and Maxjet have gone belly up. I hope SQs all biz A345 service will be a success but with 4 trips a year to New York, and hotel prices what they are in Manhatten, it's going to be difficult to justify the S$12k price tag out of pocket every flight (Instead of Y+ and mileage upgrade whenever I accumulate enough miles )

So this year, I've done SIN-EWR-SIN already on J , and planning SIN-EWR-JFK-SIN in Jun on J (to test the one stop option.) and TG SIN-BKK-JFK-BKK-SIN in Oct on J.Finally haven't decided which airline to NY for Thanksgiving.

Will keep you informed of my impression. TG is half the price at S$5k. The money I save can pay for my hotels in NY

Here's a little tip for you. While a certain SQT favourite *A FFP still exists, two roundtrips to EWR on TG will be just about sufficient for you to do a cash+points redemption to JFK on SQ C, perhaps F (pending availability of course).

Comment

TG to scrap non-stop to JFK and LAX

Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty new at this game. So this what you are suggesting I do:
          1. Become a member of an SQT favourite *Alliance FFP
          2. Give TA my membership number of said *Alliance FFP
          3. Fly TG twice to JFK this year
          Enough for cash+miles redemption on SQ C maybe F to JFK.

Will let you know outcome!

Thanks again

Comment

The headline of this thread is very very bad. It was stated as fact over a year ago, and it was just a rumor then, one which obviously proved untrue, since the nonstops are still operating (except when the LAX goes one-stop during periods of scheduled heavy maintenance).

Now you all are re-stated the rumor as fact. Yet it's still not a fact. TG is publicly mulling changes to the nonstop USA services (see thread in TOF), but has only mentioned the LAX flight as a possible one-stopper. No public info about the New York Express stopping somewhere or being eliminated. Since those discussions are ongoing now, this thread title is going to mislead or panic a lot of readers, including (briefly) me.

Comment

My apologies for digging up an old thread and going OT. This was what I was thinking:
              Fuel prices are up.
              SQ A345 will soon be all J.
              What will TG do with their A345s?
              Hopefully they will be able to continue in the present form being 2 hours nearer New York. They can carry more payload and need less fuel

Comment

What will TG do with their A345s?
                Hopefully they will be able to continue in the present form being 2 hours nearer New York. They can carry more payload and need less fuel
                I'm certainly onboard with that sentiment. And I plan to be on board the New York Express in November! So it had better stick around.

Comment

It would appear that most likely this rumour is true according to FT: [well at least for the JFK flight that is]

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829494
                  I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

Does this mean Premium Economy is unworkable from the East Coast to Asia? It seems reports about losses on the route preceded the spike in oil prices.

I feel sad for those who have enjoyed PE for the extra legroom on the long journey across the Pacific.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by hofo_mofo View Post
                      It would appear that most likely this rumour is true according to FT: [well at least for the JFK flight that is]

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829494
                      Dammit! I'm booked on a BD C award on the BKK-JFK flight in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                        Dammit! I'm booked on a BD C award on the BKK-JFK flight in August.
                        Now, now....how about the SQ all-C flight BKK-(SIN)-EWR?

Comment

This was only a matter of time, as much as they wanted to save face by keeping it going.

SQ were losing money when oil was less than half the price it is now, and I think it's safe to say their yields will have been a fair bit better than TG were getting.

Shame.

Comment

This is indeed a shame. TG has been offering very competitive fares in J and it had crossed my mind to go to do a JFK trip in the autumn.

Anyway, I wonder where they will redeploy the A345 to?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                              Now, now....how about the SQ all-C flight BKK-(SIN)-EWR?
                              BD award.....no chance of any space opening up there.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              SQ were losing money when oil was less than half the price it is now...
                              It went unprofitable for SQ at above $90 a barrel, I've been told by very reliable sources.

Comment

Rumour: TG to stop non-stop to JFK and LAX

I've paid for a SIN-BKK-JFK flight in October. If this rumour is indeed confirmed, I hope I can get a refund.

For those SQTalkers who, like me, need the extra legroom, options to the East Coast in Premium Economy is now on NH, BA and BR I guess....

Comment

Working...
                                X