Oh Noooooooooo!! Lufthansa confirms takeover of BMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Noooooooooo!! Lufthansa confirms takeover of BMI

We knew it was coming, but still bad bad news....

I'd say time to start burning those DC miles, but the ICC is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the moment.

UK airline BMI is being taken over by Germany's Lufthansa.

Lufthansa, which already owns a 30% stake in BMI minus one share, is buying the 50% of the company owned by BMI chairman Sir Michael Bishop.

The deal will give Lufthansa control of more flights from London Heathrow airport than any other airline except British Airways.

The remaining 20% of BMI is currently owned by Sweden-based Scandinavian Airlines (SAS).

Lufthansa said it intends to complete the deal by 16 January

I just read it on BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7697261.stm

Comment

what else can i say?

Comment

I, for one, have observed a moment of silence...
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

A sad day indeed.

Comment

Nearly fell off my bike when I heard the news.
            It would come to pass.

Comment

Sad. C'est la vie.

Ah well, this does mean I'll be having some nice trips in the coming months as I attempt to burn BOTH my stashes of DC and KF miles...

Comment

It was great while it lasted.

Good-bye, bmi.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Hey DC will be around for another year (at least). Now, if anyone needs a M&M referral (before the forced migration) for the extra 1000 miles please let me know. You need to earn at least 1 status mile for us both to get 1000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                      From what I've heard Lufthansa is probably buying BD for the landing slots and then dumping the actual business once it has them....
                      Actually Sir Bishop played his put option - LH were forced buyers (though granted they likely would have played their option if the put option wasn't played). While I'd expect significant changes over time to BD operations with LH control, that doesn't mean the airline will be gutted. You may want to check out LX and compare the current status with the doom and gloom when they were bought by LH

Does anyone have any experience about what happens to FFP with the taken over airlines (unless LH decides to take up the BD FFP)?
                      In about a year (or a little longer), all DC members will be advised that DC is closing in x months time (probably 6 months). Any miles remaining at that time will transfer to Miles & More, most likely on a 1:1 basis. DC members with status (except for Blue Plus I'd guess they will lose out completely) will get M&M status of some sort, although not necessarily an exact match.

Savvy people will work out the best strategy, which is most likely to burn their DC miles before it closes. It may also involve getting matches with other programs, and changes in which FFP to credit during the overlap period to maximise status earning and other benefits.

Comment

Look at the positive side....possible *A between LHR and JFK again

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          You need to earn at least 1 status mile
                          That's a really short flight

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          Actually Sir Bishop played his put option
                          It's Sir Michael to you and me

From what I've heard Lufthansa is probably buying BD for the landing slots and then dumping the actual business once it has them....

Does anyone have any experience about what happens to FFP with the taken over airlines (unless LH decides to take up the BD FFP)?
                          They'll definitely want to keep BD's customer database, therefore what is almost certain is they'll roll DC into M&L.

Comment

post deleted
                            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Is this a good time to talk about FFP that I might consider moving to?
                              There is a master thread to compare the *A FFPs but it mostly relates to pre-LH take over of BD so some of the info might no longer be current:
                              http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621

What is considered the next best program in terms of getting gold status? It looks like hard work with LH...
                              That depends on one's flying patterns. I have looked at TK, AC and OZ in the past and they don't seem too onerous in general especially if one flies Economy.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X