X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MERGED] Continental to join Star Alliance

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...s-Alliance.php

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5846440.html

Continental said today it's moving from the SkyTeam alliance — led by Delta and Northwest airlines, which are merging — to the Star Alliance. That will make United and US Airways its new domestic partners along with Air Canada, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and others.

Separately, Continental CEO Larry Kellner and United CEO Glenn Tilton are signing their own alliance today in Chicago.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

US Airways i hear is most delighted about this... since they will no longer be the s**ttiest airline in the *A. word to the wise... don't order the salisbury steak on continental. i had it once, and dropped a piece in my lap... it was uncooked to the point that it started humping my leg.

Comment

Great news for me as I've always like CO. I still remembered from their terminal in New York (was it EWR? ...can't remember since it was before by FT/SQT days). Free good quality magazines. Inflight was great and economy seat comfy.

Hahahah - just read taiperflyer 's response and how different could it be.

Comment

I flew 11 domestic F segments on CO last year. I was not impressed.

Comment

Ok ok...I flew trans Atlantic and I was impressed. Maybe they are better Internationally? Granted that was way back in 1997.

Comment

Well, to look on the bright side, at least now *A has 1 more American Airlines. I've always thought of *A's American connectivity a little poor...
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

CO has gotta be better than US, and provides further destinations and routing options. ^

Comment

Don't know if this is good news or scary news... Will CO let their FF redeem for F now? This saga should be interesting...
                HUGE AL

Comment

*A back on the LON-NYC route ... I like this.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

When will they join? Can't find it on their website

This would certainly benefit me

Comment

I was thinking that this does deal a blow to ST, which IMO once owned the US market.

The upside of this (personally) is it makes a stronger case for AA/BA anti trust immunity since with open skies and now, not only the incoporation of CO into *A but a pseudo merger with UA, the competitive position of *A is significantly stronger than OW.
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 June 2008, 02:21 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Official announcement on CO's website:
                        http://www.continental.com/web/en-US....aspx?i=PRNEWS

Antitrust Immunized Joint Ventures

Through this new partnership, Continental and United plan to establish joint ventures allowing them to cooperate with each other and with other Star Alliance airlines in international regions and compete more effectively in an increasingly global air travel market.

Initially, Continental will request the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to allow it to join United -- along with Lufthansa, Air Canada and six other carriers -- in their already established antitrust immunized alliance. This will enable Continental, United, Lufthansa, Air Canada and other immunized Star Alliance carriers to work closely together as other antitrust immunized alliances do, and to establish trans-Atlantic and other international joint ventures so they can deliver highly competitive flight schedules, fares and service. The planned trans-Atlantic joint venture, in which Continental, United, Lufthansa and Air Canada will pool revenue, will permit the carriers to compete more effectively with the proposed joint venture involving certain SkyTeam members that was recently granted antitrust immunity. The trans-Atlantic joint venture will combine the strength of the carriers to create a more efficient and comprehensive trans-Atlantic network for the carriers' customers.

Joint ventures are also planned for the Latin America and Asia/Pacific regions, involving Continental, United and other members of the Star Alliance. Both antitrust immunity and code-sharing are subject to receipt of approvals from applicable national authorities.

Continental Joining Star Alliance

Continental's plans to join the Star Alliance and the other planned cooperation are subject to receipt of certain regulatory and other approvals and the termination of certain contractual relationships, including Continental's existing agreements with SkyTeam members that restrict its participation in another global alliance. Continental intends to terminate its existing agreements with SkyTeam members and obtain the necessary approvals to enter the Star Alliance, although Continental may not be successful, and the time period for doing so may be out of Continental's control. For example, a principal contractual restriction will not terminate until nine months after the closing of the proposed Delta/Northwest merger. Continental intends to transition out of SkyTeam and into the Star Alliance in a customer friendly manner.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 June 2008, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Where would this leave CM (Copa Airlines) as they're a part of CO? I hope they get integrated as well. Makes traveling in Central and South America better for me

Comment

Yeay....there is a future for SQ's Houston service!
                            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
                              Yeay....there is a future for SQ's Houston service!
                              Indeed. It will give SQ some feed for their IAH service, and should make their new advertising team happy as that current advert for the IAH service sounds like it was created by the Southern USA tourist board....

Upside - I suppose I should be quite happy that it will open up an easy Cash+Miles MAN-EWR option, presuming it's settled before LH spoil DC. Just a shame CO have gone from 777 to 767 to 757 (admittedly double daily).

Downside - Boat loads more FFers after SQ redemptions. I imagine it will be a bit of a culture shock being able to fly on SQ (and NH, OZ...) after being stuck on ScaryTeam.

Comment

Working...
                              X