SQ to get competiton ex-MAN for flights straight to APAC region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ to get competiton ex-MAN for flights straight to APAC region

CX are returning to MAN from 08DEC. Only four times a week initially, but it will be nonstop as opposed to SQ327/8 stopping in MUC. Three class 77W sans F.

This could go one of two ways for SQ327/8, lets hope it spurs the return of the nonstops from Changi to MAN.....

CX357 HKG0100 – 0620MAN 77W x357
    CX358 MAN1200 – 0755+1HKG 77W x357
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 16 April 2014, 07:02 PM. Reason: Add start date..

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    This could go one of two ways for SQ327/8, lets hope it spurs the return of the nonstops from Changi to MAN.....
    Or better still, nonstop and onward to a North American destination

Comment

The CAPA analysis, if you overlook the litany of factual inaccuracies (MAN's first nonstop, cos, like, SQ and MH never did; APD is higher on CX than EK, which it isn't; etc, etc), was quite interesting, I thought

Back on topic, CX is only really competition for onward destinations where HKG is now more credible than SIN (i.e. Aus/NZ, but not M'sia/Indon/Thai), but would you rather that SQ goes back to using a junky old 772 on the route (which has about the right premium capacity), or are you happy with the extra stop on a 77W? Don't see this situation changing until the 787s arrive, alas

Comment

I'd say this is a good thing. But then again I've only really been north of Oxford about twice in my life.

Comment

Since Hadrian's Wall is really the northern arc of the M25, right?

Comment

It CX has Premium Y then that might be a change of routing for myself, who oftentravels from MAN for Asia and New Zealand trips.

My flights are all paid for by myself so I want maximum value and comfort. I avoid EK in Y...but a direct CX flight in PE may well be the best option.

Comment

I've been watching the flight records for SQ327 lately as I'm flying out of MUC shortly and connecting through to MEL. There's been a lot of significant delays to flights recently (1.5 hr+) and wondered which airport, if specifically one, usually causes the issue. It's certainly quite a tight schedule to get the plane back to SIN on time compared to other Euro routes.

Maybe now that LH has pulled its MUC-SIN direct flights, SQ could make enough out of separating the destinations, especially if it improves MAN flight lengths and improves poor punctuality. Obviously the two destinations probably wouldn't have the demand for daily flights to each. Or indeed, could either become an onward flight?

Comment

Great news. I am looking to plan a trip From MAN > HKG have a stop for a few weeks then HKG > BNE. This will make things much eaiser! With SQ the same route would be MAN > MUC > SIN > HKG > SIN > BNE CX will be MAN > HKG > BNE.
                Last edited by FN-GM; 17 April 2014, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                  The CAPA analysis, if you overlook the litany of factual inaccuracies (MAN's first nonstop, cos, like, SQ and MH never did; APD is higher on CX than EK, which it isn't; etc, etc), was quite interesting, I thought
                  Not sure where to start with those CAPA articles, there is more than just those two items that are incorrect...... The comments about the best way to get from MAN to BKK are strange, it's 'more efficient' to go through HKG than SIN, apparently, but that is 'much less so than Dubai' where you break the journey slap bang in the middle. Very 'efficient'.

I won't reply to BA's comment about their (14 in F and 8 across in J) 'premium' products. Oh actually I just have....

but would you rather that SQ goes back to using a junky old 772 on the route (which has about the right premium capacity), or are you happy with the extra stop on a 77W?
                  Absolutely. I'd take a nonstop refurbed 772ER with no F tomorrow over the stop in MUC. And I say this as someone for who most SQ328's back to MAN in the last few years has been in F. I agree with the comment about the 787's or other more fuel efficient a/c. The previous nonstop daily 772ER flights we absolutely booming pre GFC, I was regularly waitlisted on paid JCL tickets in those days.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                  I'd say this is a good thing. But then again I've only really been north of Oxford about twice in my life.
                  Well we don't want riff-raff like you lot coming any further North to Gods own country.

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  I've been watching the flight records for SQ327 lately as I'm flying out of MUC shortly and connecting through to MEL. There's been a lot of significant delays to flights recently (1.5 hr+) and wondered which airport, if specifically one, usually causes the issue. It's certainly quite a tight schedule to get the plane back to SIN on time compared to other Euro routes.

Maybe now that LH has pulled its MUC-SIN direct flights, SQ could make enough out of separating the destinations, especially if it improves MAN flight lengths and improves poor punctuality. Obviously the two destinations probably wouldn't have the demand for daily flights to each. Or indeed, could either become an onward flight?
                  It does sometimes get 'stuck' a little on the MAN turnaround. SQ328 is usually fine into MUC, and usually good getting away to MAN. ( Going OT for a moment, watching the crew change in MUC on SQ328 if in rows 1 to 4 is probably my favourite SQ pastime at the moment ). But it can get caught up on the turnaround. It shouldn't do, as it rarely has more than 150 pax ex-MAN but they hit MAN at peak arrival and departure time and as SQ use T2 they have to deal with an absolute p*sstake of a taxi system to get there and back with a ridiculous bottleneck around pier C at T1, which can regularly leave you waiting. They also go remote every Wednesday as well which means bussing everyone in and out.

LH dumping MUC-SIN was not good news for MAN as it left less availability to and from MAN. As I frequently travel at short notice there is sometimes nothing (within reason) available. That was a blow to the route, and this is another, following on from the fuel price as MAN was the longest nonstop 777 flight on the network so rather heavy on the juice...
                  Last edited by MAN Flyer; 17 April 2014, 04:44 AM.

Comment

But it can get caught up on the turnaround. It shouldn't do, as it rarely has more than 150 pax ex-MAN but they hit MAN at peak arrival and departure time and as SQ use T2 they have to deal with an absolute p*sstake of a taxi system to get there and back with a ridiculous bottleneck around pier C at T1, which can regularly leave you waiting. They also go remote every Wednesday as well which means bussing everyone in and out.

LH dumping MUC-SIN was not good news for MAN as it left less availability to and from MAN. As I frequently travel at short notice there is sometimes nothing (within reason) available. That was a blow to the route, and this is another, following on from the fuel price as MAN was the longest nonstop 777 flight on the network so rather heavy on the juice...
                    Thanks for the details I wanted to know. I knew there could be nobody better to ask!

Comment

If it were daily the juice may not be worth, but they could always fly 3x direct with 2-class on the busiest days and 4x via MUC with FCL or some other split arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                        Don't see this situation changing until the 787s arrive, alas
                        359s . 787-10s will be replacements for the 333s.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
                          If it were daily the juice may not be worth, but they could always fly 3x direct with 2-class on the busiest days and 4x via MUC with FCL or some other split arrangement.
                          How often it operated would be irrelevant for the fuel required, as that is the same for every flight. Having a mix of one stop and nonstop flights would be better than nothing but frustrating when you end up changing you flight to a stopper.

Comment

How often it operated would be irrelevant for the fuel required, as that is the same for every flight. Having a mix of one stop and nonstop flights would be better than nothing but frustrating when you end up changing you flight to a stopper.
                            Yeah but surely the reason why they don't operate a daily direct is because there isn't enough demand in a week (benefit vs fuel cost)? I've only flown the route once but from reading TRs I get the impression the premium demand seems to come more out of MUC.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
                              from reading TRs I get the impression the premium demand seems to come more out of MUC.
                              That makes you an expert?

Comment

Working...
                              X