On SIA's 787-10 Dreamliner to Bangkok and Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yflyer,

Excellent review as always. I have flown the 787s a number of times on CA, NH and SQ, always in Y. The longest flight I have been on a 787 was 7 hrs. I never found them cramped, and I am probably larger in size than you.

Amongst the 4 StarAlliance Lounges, the food in Silver Kris BKK is without doubt the best, unfortunately it's also the most popular lounge, and the lull window is very short.

So I always end up in the EVA lounge as it only gets crowded (but never packed like Silver Kris) before the EVA flights, and EVA doesn't have as many flights to BKK as SQ. The decor is dark, and not to everyone's taste, but it has tarmac views, nice showers and comfortable massage chairs in an enclosed snooze room. Food wise, not as varied as SQ, but still decent. The downside is that it is at the F concourse, and SQ/TG to SIN are usually at D/C. So I need to head to the C gates much earlier than I would like to.

Turkish BKK is a let down. It's the newest lounge, least crowded during the day, bright and airy, but the food is very disappointing. They do offer a quiet room and you can opt for a 10min head/shoulder massage there.

Thai's lounges are in dire need of a revamp. Enough said.

Originally posted by worldrally View Post
    yflyer, assuming you are a SG passport holder, there are autogates that can used at the departure immigration hall. Definitely a lifesaver when normal queues are long. Unfortunately there are no APEC counters on departure, last few times I've tried asking.

Enjoying your fantastic TR as always!
    If you have an ABTC card, please use the Priority Entrance next time. There are 2 such entrances at the check-in level (walk right past the escalator that leads to the upper level security checks).

This priority entrance is used by various category of passengers including ABTC holders. There's clear signage above the entrance listing eligible users of the priority lane. Just show your ABTC card, passport and boarding pass to the attendant manning the entrance.

I am always through to the air-side within 5 min.
    Last edited by icn.sg; 3 September 2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by worldrally View Post
      yflyer, assuming you are a SG passport holder, there are autogates that can used at the departure immigration hall. Definitely a lifesaver when normal queues are long. Unfortunately there are no APEC counters on departure, last few times I've tried asking.

Enjoying your fantastic TR as always!
      Not sure if they still allow it, but I have seen people use the APEC card to access the Fast Track Departure section.

Comment

Thank you icn.sg and PPSFlyer for the good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          The screen can be adjusted for a comfortable viewing angle if the passenger in front reclines...

I haven’t taken the B787 or A350R with 2017Y product. Is there LED reading light strip mounted below the IFE monitor like the 2006Y and 2013Y product? I find such reading light more useful than the one mounted on the ceiling panel.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
            I haven’t taken the B787 or A350R with 2017Y product. Is there LED reading light strip mounted below the IFE monitor like the 2006Y and 2013Y product? I find such reading light more useful than the one mounted on the ceiling panel.
            I know for sure there is no LED reading light on the 787. Am assuming that this feature is no longer available on the 2017 Y seats.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
              Yflyer,

Excellent review as always.
              Thanks very much, icn.sg!

I have flown the 787s a number of times on CA, NH and SQ, always in Y. The longest flight I have been on a 787 was 7 hrs. I never found them cramped, and I am probably larger in size than you.
              I've found the 787's ok in Y, but on all the 9-abreast Y 787's I have flown, I've always been most comfortable if I either had an empty seat next to me, or a whole row of 3 empty. On full flights, in an aisle seat on a 9-abreast 787, with someone right next to me, I am normally ok as well, but don't feel as comfortable as I would be on a 9-abreast A350 Y cabin or 9-abreast 777.

At least on this most recent trip, the SQ 787 Y seat subjectively seemed to be similar in comfort to SQ's A350 Y -- for SQ I have no preference between A350 and 787, although for other airlines like QR, TG, I prefer their A350 to their 787.

Amongst the 4 StarAlliance Lounges, the food in Silver Kris BKK is without doubt the best, unfortunately it's also the most popular lounge, and the lull window is very short.
              I love the SQ BKK Lounge! One of the few I really like in SQ's network. That said, I think I've been lucky in that I've only visited when it wasn't too crowded.

So I always end up in the EVA lounge as it only gets crowded (but never packed like Silver Kris) before the EVA flights, and EVA doesn't have as many flights to BKK as SQ.
              Never tried that...might pop by on another trip to check it out!

Thai's lounges are in dire need of a revamp. Enough said.
              Haven't been in those either...I had a good impression of TG's lounge in HKG and also in KUL. Not fantastic but decent enough. Strange that they would allow their home base lounges in BKK to age like that. Then again maybe not so strange considering SQ's Changi lounges...

If you have an ABTC card, please use the Priority Entrance next time. There are 2 such entrances at the check-in level (walk right past the escalator that leads to the upper level security checks).
              Thanks! Very useful advice! So far, I've not seen the need to apply for an APEC card (ABTC = APEC Business Travel Card, right?), but given the increasing regional travel I am doing, it might make sense for me to apply for one.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
                I know for sure there is no LED reading light on the 787. Am assuming that this feature is no longer available on the 2017 Y seats.
                I didn't notice an LED reading light under the screen either...and icn.sg, a person with an incredible eye for detail, has confirmed there isn't one too, which is too bad since I did use it occasionally.

Comment

Great TR, yflyer. The 787 interior looks really nice and good to distinguish that they have dimmable shades. Hoping to fly one soon, maybe on a short haul route.

The seats are more of a standard and the same as the A359 TR you pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    Great TR, yflyer. The 787 interior looks really nice and good to distinguish that they have dimmable shades. Hoping to fly one soon, maybe on a short haul route.

The seats are more of a standard and the same as the A359 TR you pointed out.
                    Thanks, SQfanatic! I am also a fan of the 787's electronically dimmable window shades. Lots of opportunities to fly the 787 in Asia these days, especially on regional routes. Many 787's operating in the USA too, although the vast majority are on long haul international routes.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      Thanks, SQfanatic! I am also a fan of the 787's electronically dimmable window shades. Lots of opportunities to fly the 787 in Asia these days, especially on regional routes. Many 787's operating in the USA too, although the vast majority are on long haul international routes.
                      Yeah, they are flying them to MAA next year so I will likely seize an opportunity to try it if I have the chance.

Comment

Thanks for the review.

The Changi T3 SKL during the evening hours around 10pm is really overcrowded. Also that lounge doesnt have enough charging points. A much needed refurbishment is required even if i thought that the current design is quite timeless and still feels good (setting aside the crowds)

The 787 Regional Business Class is becoming my favourite now. Even more than the 2013J I think! I like the one tucked away at the window. I somewhat sleep better on these flights. May be because I am a sensitive sleeper and these seats mean that I am relatively much more sheltered from the aisle. My head is not near the aisle. On the long haul Js of 2006 and 2013, I love the width (still do). But I think I feel more disturbance from light and noise.

Thank you also for comparing the 3 different Y seats widths. I am surprised by your evidence. I have not really flown on the 787. But I thought the A350 is not comfortable compared to the earlier 777s!. My shoulders have to rub against other strangers.... But your evidence is an evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                          Thanks for the review.

The Changi T3 SKL during the evening hours around 10pm is really overcrowded. Also that lounge doesnt have enough charging points. A much needed refurbishment is required even if i thought that the current design is quite timeless and still feels good (setting aside the crowds)

Thanks, SQueeze!

Agree the Changi T3 SKL is due for a refurbishment. The current design is ok, but doesn't wow. If you think that is crowded, wait till you see the current temporary Krisflyer Gold Lounge / Marhaba Lounge!

The 787 Regional Business Class is becoming my favourite now.
                          I like it too, although I know some frequent flyers, used to other SQ J seats, who dislike the narrowness.

Thank you also for comparing the 3 different Y seats widths. I am surprised by your evidence. I have not really flown on the 787. But I thought the A350 is not comfortable compared to the earlier 777s!. My shoulders have to rub against other strangers.... But your evidence is an evidence.
                          Purely in terms of seat, I think 2013 Y on the 77WR is hard to beat, but these days I find the A350 just a little quieter and more comfortable. As for A350 Y or SQ's 787-10 Y, think as long as I have an aisle seat I am quite comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X