Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LHR T4] MH Golden Lounge

Ahoy ahoy my fellow SQ Talker,

This is my very first posting in the forum after being a silent reader for quite sometime. I hope to contribute something to the forum and during the process, share knowledge of the interesting world of aviation, especially with issues concerning SQ, with other forum members.

I wanted to introduce myself in kinda a bang way. So since I had this one written earlier on, I hope it is ok for everyone if I share it here. Advance apology because this style is not in sync with the other lounge threads in this sub-subforum (which has been a favourite of mine among all forums in SQ Talk).

Date/Day: 3 December 2009/Thursday
    Place: LHR Terminal 4

Ok folks, MH's Golden Lounge in LHR Terminal 4 is located next to Escada boutique and right opposite the WH Smith convenient store. The location is adjacent to Gate 6, which is the default designated gate for all MH flights in this terminal, which make MH's passengers movement especially from the lounge, seamless.

Entrance & Lobby

Upon entering the walkway, one will be greeted by an elevator to the left and a staircase to the right. A pair of MH cabin crews' placard is also there to welcome the visitors.

Unless one is extremely athletic, the elevator is an obvious choice to get into the lounge. There is only one press-able button inside the elevator, which is to level 3, where the lounge is located (level 2 button is there too but it can't be pressed).

Once the elevator's doors opened, one will find themselves already at the lobby of the lounge.

Some observations, I believe this bronze-patterned looking cupboard is used to store the luggage…

… but I am not sure about this one. Could it be one of the MYR 3 million paintings which caused havoc to MH's management prior to the BTP era?

After finishing my check-in/administration formality, I had a little chat with the receptionist, a Malay lady with heavy British accent. She informed me that the lounge has just opened in about a month (MH started operation in LHR Terminal 4 beginning 28 October 2009) and that she has been living in London as a Malaysia Airlines' employee for more than 10 years. There, I saw another entrance at the right side of the lounge, which I later on found out as the entrance into the First Class section of the lounge.

Comment

Main Sitting Hall

I had a glimpse of some of the facilities inside the lounge while making my way to the main sitting hall. One would definitely being reminded of the Regional Golden Lounge in KUL's Main Terminal Building upon seeing some of the elements of the décor inside this lounge.

Simply beautiful! That is all I can say about the area.

Visitors can choose whether to relax at the comfy couches…

… the tarmac-facing armchairs…

… having a bite at the dining table…

… or simply chill out at the bar.

This area is also equipped with many power points, several computer terminals, numerous reading materials which includes local newspapers and newspapers of various languages from Malaysia, and also flat screen TVs, amongst other.

While wandering around the lounge, through the glass wall that separates the First Class and the Business class section of the lounge, I caught some glimpses of the seating area at the alluring First Class section next door.

Looks very elegant, isn't it? Much more beautiful with grandeur furniture and fittings than the Business Class section I must say but void any visitors.

Comment

I choosed to sit at one of the tarmac-facing armchair and what do you know, the view from the floor-to-ceiling window is just breathtaking – from a SkyTeam 'cocktail party' featuring a pair of Delta Airlines' B767 both in the old and the new liveries, a KLM's B738 and an Alitalia's A320 with an Etihad's A332 joining in the foray too …

… to a Gulf Air's A332, which looks as if it was parked right underneath the lounge - simply spectacular view! The aircraft carries with it 2 banners – the F1 Bahrain Grand Prix 2010 and the Bahrain International Air Show 2010 events…

… to a Qantas' Socceroos, with a Singapore's A380 and an Emirates' B77W at the background in LHR Terminal 3 across the runway…

… and of course, the star of the day, Kota Bharu looking splendid in the miserable British weather, with a Jet Airways' B77W being docked at an adjacent gate.

I think Gate 6 that is being assigned for all MH flights is an A380-capable gate. We need to wait until up to June 2012 hopefully before we can see the third jetway on the right to be utilized.

The Bar

The centerpiece of the lounge and it is being shared by both the Business Class and the First Class sections of the lounge. A (rather old looking) barista is assigned to man this area.

So what do we have here?

I was actually curious to find out whether Dom Perignon champagne, which MH is so well known about is being served in this lounge or not, but to no avail. Some snacks are also on offer to go along with these alcoholic beverages.

There is something that caught my attention on the bar. This book.

There are nothing but praises, awes and amazements being written in it, including from some big shots too. And of course, I joined the parade.

I had some messages dedicated in the write-up, so hopefully some of us here can be present there someday to read it.
        Last edited by SliverKris; 4 May 2010, 06:38 PM. Reason: GF's A332 was wrongly written as an A343

Comment

The Dining Experience

The 'stage' where this experience took place looks good.

However, as a country which promotes its wide array of multicultural cuisines and dishes as one of the key tourism products, the selection of buffet inside the lounge for brunch on that day was underwhelming to say the least and worse, quality and quantity wise it is akin to the offerings inside the Golden Lounges in KCH or BKI.

There are basically 3 selections on offer – Asian dishes (rice with rendang), Western dishes (baked beans, sausages and scramble egg) and snacks (samosa, sandwiches, curry-puffs, pastries, cereals and fresh fruits).

The selection of drinks, in my opinion, is quite small as well.

Nevertheless, I had quite a bite that morning having in mind that I'll be flying in the Economy Class. The food tasted OK.

Comment

The Washroom/Shower Rooms

Although quite small, with only 2 shower rooms, the built quality is good…

… with fancy modern décor even for the urinal cubicles.

Ok now the main thing. The shower room is quite spacious, each of which comes with a sink (which I think is a bit difficult to use and seems impractical, to make way for its fancy design. The mirror is also seems like as if it was too small and 'retak seribu', again because of the fancy design…

… a toilet and its accompanying washing basin (which took me by surprise as these are never being equipped in any other Golden Lounges worldwide)…

… and a semi enclosed shower screen, which is made of some plastic material, contrary to the other glass shower screens in the other Golden Lounges.

All toiletries inside the washroom and the shower rooms are of a Malaysian local brand, 'Spa Jerneh'. The uniformity is appreciated (unlike at the First Class Satellite Golden Lounge in KUL) but I am not sure if I like it.

The Muslim Praying Room

A nice feature in all Golden Lounges, the Muslim praying rooms inside this lounge are located further inside near the tail of the buffet bar. There are 2 prayer rooms, one for each gender.

I think the design is very nice and it can accommodate more people at one time (unlike the one in the Regional Golden Lounge in KUL where its cylinder-shape room design gives constraints for it to accommodate many worshippers).

Ablution point is adjacent to the praying area…

… while a cupboard equipped with some amenities like cloth hangers, a body-length mirror, some pelikats, praying mats and a Quran, are also furnished.

Comment

The Playroom

Located right opposite the buffer bar on the way leading to the entrance/exit, this little nursery is equivalent to those Steadler's Creative Kids Corner in the 3 Golden Lounges in KUL, but with much scaled down in terms of built-in area and the toys furnished inside it.

There is no working table (unlike at the 3 Golden Lounges mentioned) and all toys are seem to be kept inside this Ikea-like pocket drawers being hanged around the room.

Nevertheless, I think it is a good place to keep the little ones occupied while waiting for the flight.

The Baby Feed Room

This room is to complement the Playroom as in the other Golden Lounges in KUL where the baby feeding area forms part of the Playroom. It is located next to the entrance to the Washrooms/Shower Rooms.

So what's inside?

As usual, this dedicated area is equipped with baby feeding and diaper changing facilities inclusive of a sink and a couch for the parents.
              I later found out that there is also at least 3 slumberettes just like the one in the First Class Satellite Golden Lounge in KUL (only much prettier) inside this lounge, but this facility is located at the First Class section next door.
              Throughout my visit at the lounge, I was accompanied by the British Telecom Openzone broadband, which is provided for free, through both cables and WiFi.

And I think I am going to miss this fast internet broadband the most from this short visit to the UK LOL!

During the last 30 minutes of my visit, there was a huge crowd inside the lounge and from the conversations that I overheard, a VVVIP is around and will be boarding the same plane back to KUL. Upon further peeping to the First Class section of the lounge, I found that the VVVIP concerned in none other than 1Malaysia First Lady – Datin Seri Rosmah Mansur.

At that moment, I was like 'Shoot!' If only I redeemed the First Class ticket on the LHR-KUL sector, I might seat in the same cabin as her. And I'll have 13 hours to observe her behaviour and maybe can then confirm whether all her travelling 'antiques' are true or just rumours. But I think I am glad not to be around her (based on the looks of the cabin crew members aboard the flight later on) LOL!

After spending a quality 90 minutes inside the lounge, it was finally time to go and bid goodbye.

As I look back, I wish that someday I'll be returning to the lounge and hopefully waiting for my Malaysia Airlines' A380 flight back to KUL.

Comment

Working...
              X