Miles Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
    If your dates are on those very peak periods, example Xmas Week, it will be tough.
    Some people that hunt for those seats, especially Suites/First would have booked them the moment the window opens 330 days before the flight. For less popular routes or flight they will be a little more generous, such as red eye flights or older planes
    Or availability could open up very very late. Depends on whether rtan17 is willing to travel on cue at the last minute. I am less enamoured. The flight I'm waitlisted on is for CPT-JNB-SIN (no stopover). The moment CPT went daily recently (it wasn't 10 months ago), I immediately checked whether there was availability on the new flights, but EVEN these, nothing.

Comment

After checking daily for availability, finally got the dates I wanted (just difference of 1 day as compared to my ideal dates). 2 of the flights times wasn’t waitlist so I booked last night without hesitation! And got to travel on 2 types of aircraft, A359 n B777er with the new J seats.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
        Thanks. I have tried two dozen times, if not 5 million, calling them now and then to check on availability but they wouldn't budge. New flights have been added to JNB and CPT, but the situation seems oddly the same. We are now 3+ months away from the trip. Should I call them some more, or just wait a week before the first sector? My sense is after we leave SIN, it would just be a hassle to chase anymore, and even to change flights since we will be in the middle of nowhere in Africa on some days...

CX is an option, with a bit of miles transferring. But then I have ticketed with SQ for a not as favourable return date
        I understand your dilemma. I had again waitlisted for SIN-JNB vv. for late last month approximately 2 weeks prior to travel, and it did clear but only 1.5 days before the outbound departure date. I had by then (obviously) made alternate travel plans and had a confirmed ticket (on QR) and so let the award get cancelled automatically.

Comment

So it's turns out my waitlist cleared, exactly one month before the flight. I had called to ask for chaser every month, but frankly I got tired of the game. However during my last call, I was told that chances were good. I also checked the seating situation using dummy revenue bookings, the waitlisted flight was consistently empty while the flight I was confirmed on, for a Wed departure was filling up. It made no sense. I think now they move me so that they can sell more on the filled out Wed flight. Revenue tickets for Wed are cheapest

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
            So it's turns out my waitlist cleared, exactly one month before the flight. I had called to ask for chaser every month, but frankly I got tired of the game. However during my last call, I was told that chances were good. I also checked the seating situation using dummy revenue bookings, the waitlisted flight was consistently empty while the flight I was confirmed on, for a Wed departure was filling up. It made no sense. I think now they move me so that they can sell more on the filled out Wed flight. Revenue tickets for Wed are cheapest
            Great to hear it finally worked out for you. Congratulations and hope you have a great trip!

Comment

On several occasions recently, when I booked saver redemption flights on wait-list, they cleared within a few seconds.

Seems like there may be hidden availability that only shows up when triggered by demand. Perhaps it grabs from the Advantage bucket?

Overall, however, I find that it is tougher to get a wait-listed saver redemption flight cleared nowadays. Used to be almost 100% even for someone without status like me - but not anymore. Not only that, but popular routes are snapped up within the day they are released!

Comment

My waitlist actually cleared a week or so after I attained elite status. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or status played a part. I was coming to time of departure - exactly 30 days.

Comment

It seems that SQ633 Saver Availability for J is non-existent, only Advantage

Comment

Working...
                  X