No announcement yet.

Silkair Fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just sharing in case this is relevant / of interest - it's tucked away in yesterday's announcement of SIA's $1bn loss:

"The integration of SilkAir into SIA remains on track. Customers will benefit from a step up to the Singapore Airlines inflight experience as we transition the SilkAir narrowbody operations to SIA, starting with the 737-800 aircraft, in Q4 FY20/21. The integration of SilkAir into SIA will also deliver greater economies of scale for the Group, and allow it to deploy the right aircraft to meet the demand for air travel as it returns."

Comment

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
      Just sharing in case this is relevant / of interest - it's tucked away in yesterday's announcement of SIA's $1bn loss:
      That's great news. Sounds like we'll be able to get some SQ 738 birds from Jan 2021 onwards

Comment

Yeah, I'm chasing SQ for more info on all of this, inc if this means those 737-800s will have the new business class seats (Thomson Aero's Vantage) fitted and how the transition from SilkAir to Singapore Airlines may be 'phased' by fleet type, again p'haps based on that seating.

The spanner in the works of all of this is of course that bloody coronavirus and its twinned impact on demand and SIA cashflow, along with ongoing delays and uncertainty around the Silk-destined 737 MAX.

Comment

The last time I saw any SQ hierarchy in person, which was when the UK GM came up to MAN on first visit with the new VP Europe who has replaced Subhas Menon (lovely fella), with the specific questions they were asking about the MAX, such as what I thought about it and if I would be happy to fly it, I got the impression they were weighing up their options on it. This was just at the beginning of the Covid situation before it got to where we are now with the world on hold/lockdown and looking like a long way back.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            The last time I saw any SQ hierarchy in person, which was when the UK GM came up to MAN on first visit with the new VP Europe who has replaced Subhas Menon (lovely fella), with the specific questions they were asking about the MAX, such as what I thought about it and if I would be happy to fly it, I got the impression they were weighing up their options on it. This was just at the beginning of the Covid situation before it got to where we are now with the world on hold/lockdown and looking like a long way back.
            I guess it's a case of them having had too much money invested in developing (or procuring) new products for the 737, as well as penalties if they were to cancel their outstanding orders now, not to mention the fact they have at least 8 brand-new MAXes already built for them, as well as the six sitting in storage at ASP and what they would do with those.

There's also the little problem of having to wait in line for the alternative, and the pretty penny that the other manufacturer will want for their wildly popular product.

Comment

Question -
              I noticed a couple of Silkair A319/320s were scrapped pretty early
              SLK @ 8 years
              SBF @ 9 years

Info anyone? Can’t possibly be that parts were more valuable than the airframe alone? A320s are pretty well demanded.

Comment

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                Question -
                I noticed a couple of Silkair A319/320s were scrapped pretty early
                SLK @ 8 years
                SBF @ 9 years

Info anyone? Can’t possibly be that parts were more valuable than the airframe alone? A320s are pretty well demanded.
                Alaska had a 12 year old A320 scrapped. Even when demand was much higher.

https://simpleflying.com/alaska-airl...320-scrapyard/

Comment

SLK could have been transferred to Scoot in 2017 instead of going to the scrapyard. Perhaps maintenance issues.
                  A few 320s that were much older were used longer (SLG...SLI...)

Comment

SLK could have been transferred to Scoot in 2017 instead of going to the scrapyard. Perhaps maintenance issues.
                    A few 320s that were much older were used longer (SLG...SLI...)
                    Its not about age. Other factors come into play. Any heavy maintenance that is due, number of cycles, who owns the aircraft are just a few.

Comment

Now that the SilkAir fleet are to be decommissioned, does anyone know where those inflight meal carts and air larders etc will be offloaded to? Will there be any possibility of getting hold of some of these, just for memorabilia?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ380 View Post
                        Now that the SilkAir fleet are to be decommissioned, does anyone know where those inflight meal carts and air larders etc will be offloaded to? Will there be any possibility of getting hold of some of these, just for memorabilia?
                        Wouldn't most of this be transferred to SQ?

Comment

2 SilkAir A320 have left fleet.
                          9V-SLO > 2-VSLO stored at CRK.
                          9V-SLQ > 2-VSLQ painted all white and stored in SIN.

Comment

Still no word on how they’re going to operate the USM flights unless they keep the A319s?

Comment

Still no word on how they’re going to operate the USM flights unless they keep the A319s?
                              Perhaps they will suspend USM and codeshare with Bangkok Airways (who's also the airport owner). Even Thai Airways/Thai Smile don't serve the airport since they don't have compatible aircraft and decided to codeshare with Bangkok Airways.
                              Last edited by maxc_20; 10 October 2020, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxc_20 View Post
                                Perhaps they will suspend USM and codeshare with Bangkok Airways (who's also the airport owner). Even Thai Airways/Thai Smile don't serve the airport since they don't have compatible aircraft and decided to codeshare with Bangkok Airways.
                                That has always been a credible solution, but SilkAir thus far has avoided doing it. As far as I know the A319s were retained for this route... it’s probably a money spinner for them... fares for the route are usually in excess of US$300 (compared to US$150 for Phuket). Maybe they will finally give it up and do the codeshare indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X