Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GIG Rio de Janeiro-Galećo] transfer to hotel help

hi guys
    scheduled to fly into Rio next week and wonder if any SQtalkers here are familiar with GIG? specific question is whether there are legit cab rides (really dont want to deal with touts after 30 hrs flights) in the airport, where they can be located, and estd rate from airport to Town (hotel is Novo Mundo, if that's any reference)? thanks in advance

Been a while, but from what I remember it was around 70-80 Reais.

Budget maybe 40-45 minutes if traffic is good. This is from Galeao to downtown. Not sure where your hotel is.

Comment

Isn't the Novo Mundo in Flamengo?

Are you arriving in GIG off an international or domestic flight?

Start looking for the prepaid (radio) taxi counters in baggage claim. There should be a couple of them and they both have the same standard fares to different areas of the city posted on a board.

Look for the rate for Flamengo and be ready to tell them your hotel name and address. You prepay for the ride (major credit cards accepted) and will be given your cc receipt plus a voucher/receipt to give to the driver. The ladies manning the taxi desks will typically tell you what color taxis you can take.

As you step out on to the curb, it appears to be mayhem. There are people who might rush to take over luggage trolley, but be strong and pay attention to who wears a designated airport worker tag and who doesn't. You typically will have to walk past the queue of yellow taxis (amarelinhos--little yellows in Portuguese) until you get to a taxi (with one of the colors specified by the lady) that will accept your prepaid taxi voucher. You tell him the hotel name and address and you'll be on your way.

Boa viagem
      Le jour de Saint Eugčne, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

thanks SQFG, B727
        yes, its the Novo Mundo at Praia Flamengo.

I'm flying in from LHR (TAM JJ 8085) with a stop at GRU and then continue on the same flight but on a different plane; i'm still rather confused how that works, and so maybe i'll ask B727 is that international or domestic?

whoa, mayhem. that sounds simple enough. ok, i'll print out your instructions and navigate it like a map but really appreciate it

any other tips?

Comment

I'm assuming you will clear immigration and customs in GRU which means that the change of planes, albeit still with the same flight#, will turn the GRU-GIG sector into a domestic one. In which case, the forementioned tips should be good per my last domestic arrival into GIG last October.

A sure way to find out is to ask TAM if your baggage will be checked ex-LHR all the way to GIG or only to GRU?
          Le jour de Saint Eugčne, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
            A sure way to find out is to ask TAM if your baggage will be checked ex-LHR all the way to GIG or only to GRU?
            thanks for that, but will only have hand-luggage; has discovered conveniences of not checking in luggage and travelled that way for 3 yrs now. But maybe i'll ask TAM desk at LHR; flying in LHR on SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
              I'm flying in from LHR (TAM JJ 8085)
              Sorry for being OT but would you be so kind to write a TR on JJ please

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                Sorry for being OT but would you be so kind to write a TR on JJ please
                hey, didnt you write one? but sure, was intending too already anyway, that is if i collect my wits together ahead of the 'mayhem'

Comment

hey, didnt you write one? but sure, was intending too already anyway, that is if i collect my wits together ahead of the 'mayhem'
                  Yes, I did but that was JJ domestic. Excellent, looking forward to it

OK. back to regular programming

Comment

thanks for the tips

thanks Guys for all the tips. I'm back from the 30 hrs x 2 from Rio, and seems to have all but recovered.

re GIG, just want to say 'mayhem' is not really a fair adjective to use. There are 3 pre-paid cab booths just before the customs, and all with same rate of BRL75 to Flamengo. As i walked out of kerbside, showed my receipt, was immediately shown to a nice new looking silver cab.

over the 2 days when i was in yellow cabs, they were quite safe too. The return to GIG cost lesst than BRL35 but took close to an hr cos of peak hr traffic, having left at 5pm. The cabbie did a fantastic job which made my foot jammed the imaginary brake couple of times but i was in one piece.

Comment

The cabbie did a fantastic job which made my foot jammed the imaginary brake couple of times but i was in one piece.
                      ..and that's why they produce great footballers and F1 World Champions.

TR please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        ..and that's why they produce great footballers and F1 World Champions.

TR please!!!
                        i wld agree you did see this TAM LHR-GRU didnt you? It was originally meant to be LHR-GRU-GIG, but was too tired and thereafter distracted by work [didnt imagine i'll say my WORK distracted me from SQT TR ] but will finish that, and also write out a GIG-GRU-LHR, tho its really work season now

Comment

Working...
                        X