Tokyo - New York ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Just throwing this out there... Scoot is flying to BER and ATH. Is it possible that this could be the way for Scoot to set up a tourist route to NYC?
    doubt so as its very hard and almost impossible to get 5th freedom rights to fly to US from Europe and furthermore its not economically feasible for a budget airline to fly so far a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      Just throwing this out there... Scoot is flying to BER and ATH. Is it possible that this could be the way for Scoot to set up a tourist route to NYC?
      It's worth a try, but they might want to pair that with other US destinations such as LA or Vegas. But TR operating SIN-NRT-LAX though, let alone SIN-NRT-EWR...

AirAsia wants to go to America too, but they may have issues since Malaysia's air safety rating got downgraded. Between that and the CN3/Taiwanese airlines dumping capacity, Scoot will need to move quickly.
      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        doubt so as its very hard and almost impossible to get 5th freedom rights to fly to US from Europe and furthermore its not economically feasible for a budget airline to fly so far a distance.
        No, I should clarify what I meant as I wasn’t very specific. Scoot already has two long haul tourist destinations- ATH and TXL. NYC is a major tourist destination and they already have a presence at NRT, so I was just considering if maybe they could be wanting to add it. I know it seems unlikely, but so does a third SQ routing to NYC, especially when they recently resumed direct EWR flights. After years of struggling loads, FRA-JFK is finally doing much better so it also seems like a strange time to jump out of that now.

Comment

If the rights are exercised SQ would be the only airline you can fly RTW in

SIN-NRT-JFK
          SIN-FRA-JFK

Even better if they exercise their 5th Freedom Rights between LHR-NYC (presumably they still have them) and do SIN-LHR-JFK

That’ll link all the financial capitals like they connect Singapore to oil capitals

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            I agree. I don’t think this is one for Scoot. It is not all that long ago that they could not make HNL work and had to withdraw (sorry SQ228 – I usually agree with everything you write). The most recent commentary also suggests the next long haul is a while away and when it does come will probably be for another destination in Europe. https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...apacity-growth

This is all speculation until SQ make some announcement but I think it is reasonable to assume that there are some reasonable changes that will be made to the US network – we know at the very least that two of the ULRs have not been scheduled for winter 2020 yet. As it is the start of a new year, here are some thoughts / ideas supported with my reasoning.

I was surprised that nothing was said about the US network when the Brussels announcement was made. SQ have tried to maximize sales for that by putting it on sale as early as possible. They did something similar for Seattle and so I think there has to be a very good reason for them not do follow the same approach for the US changes. Makes me think they are still putting the various pieces for the puzzle together – which perhaps suggests that the Tokyo 5th freedom rights are a part of it – the timing is too much of a coincidence otherwise.

As others have noted, Japan is very protective of air rights and they are hardly likely to have just handed the 5th freedom rights to SQ on their own. My experience working with Government makes me positive that SQ would have been seeking the rights. The Japanese minister also specifically mentions SQ and ANA code sharing on the flights, again suggesting that there have been some discussions about all this as part of the process.

All this makes me think that that SQ Tokyo to New York is likely to happen. I suspect it is for Narita given the slot constraints at Haneda. The new Haneda slots were very carefully distributed to specific countries and Singapore did not get any. The Japanese and US carries are also moving a lot of the US routes from Narita to Haneda which may have helped SQ get the 5th freedom rights as it would add new capacity through Narita.

So assuming this happens, what about the other flights? I assume the ULR to Newark counties – it’s the best performing ULR it seems and the distance drove the specs for the 350ULRs. So that leaves Frankfurt to New York. I don’t have a prediction for this – I think 3 flights a day might work (1 ULR, 1 via Frankfurt and one via Tokyo). I liked the previous poster’s idea about SQ having the round the world connection through New York and connecting the financial hubs in this way. For this I think the Frankfurt flight would probably drop to a 777W as the 380 will probably be too much. The alternative would be to just end the Frankfurt – New York leg and leave the 380 doing Frankfurt – Singapore.

If the Tokyo and Frankfurt flights go 777W, that is going to require a lot of 777W capacity. As SQ228 pointed out in another post, that could come from some of the Australia routes which would go to the regional variant instead. There are also the 3 777-200ERs with flat beds which have been retained at least until next year.

Now dropping the 380 from Frankfurt – New York frees up a decent amount of 380 capacity. I think this could be interesting in the context of the 380 refits. It is going very slowly and the originally timeframe is definitely not on the cards anymore. So what if SQ are going to start reducing the size of the 380 fleet? 4 of the second batch are leased – given how slow the refits are going, I am not sure SQ will want to pay to refit leased aircraft. When the plan to refit the whole fleet was announced, Airbus had not decided to pull the plug on the program.

Given how long the refits are taking, I also don’t think it makes financial sense to refit the remaining version 1 aircraft. SKF was delivered in Sept 2008. What if the version 1 aircraft continue for another few years and are retired? Maybe airbus buys them back as part of a deal to buy some 350-1000s – there are deliver slots available with Etihad deferring the introduction of the aircraft. Maybe SQ also take some of the 350-1000 ULRs designed for Qantas – could get bigger loads on the ULRS, including first and would solve the premium economy glut as there could be economy seats too.

It is equally possible that Boeing buys some of them (they did it with the A340s). Unlike other airlines, SQ has a history of using deliver delays / aircraft issues to negotiate good deals on new aircraft rather than cash payouts (both sets of 330 lease deals through Airbus following A380 and A350 issues).
            That then leaves the question of where the spare ULRs get deployed. I was originally assuming it would be 1 new daily flight. But thinking about it more, what about let’s say 4 days a week to Chicago and maybe 3 days a week to either Washington / Boston? With some clever scheduling, might even be able to make it two sets of flights 4 days a week in peak periods to make use of the spare aircraft a bit better.

As I said at the start, a lot of speculation on my part and quite likely none of this pans out. Very keen to hear all your thoughts on this. Happy New Year to you all! I hope 2020 brings you all great experiences flying SQ!

Comment

If they take -1000s, they could probably have the -1000s hold down ULR service (4-class with First?), then refit the -SGx series to 3-class configuration.

And as for FRA, maybe shifting the tag to BOS would work better? B6 could then codeshare on that flight as an additional transatlantic pathway.

Nor do I think retiring the 380s now makes a lot of sense given the 777X delays. If they get the boot I would expect that only in 2024 at the earliest.
              Last edited by yuuka_miya; 1 January 2020, 05:13 PM.
              an infrastructure geek

Comment

SQ could switch SQ326/325 to A380 n SQ26/25 to 77W (and at the same time swap the timing of these two flights) esp if the Tokyo-JFK route will be served by SQ638 timing

Alternatively the A380 can go to LHR (306/305) or to MEL/AKL year round.

Comment

Actually some sort of RTW schedule could be possible and would actually be pretty efficient from a utilization perspective, while still having reasonable timings for O&D pax on all the individual sectors — something like the following maybe:

Eastbound:
                  SIN-NRT 0800 1500
                  NRT-JFK 1700 1600
                  JFK-FRA 1900 0900+1
                  FRA-SIN 1100 0600+1

Westbound:
                  SIN-FRA 2330 0630+1
                  FRA-JFK 0830 1130
                  JFK-NRT 1330 1730+1
                  NRT-SIN 1930 0230+1

This also has the benefit of addressing the current SQ25/26 schedule where the A380 has to sit all day at JFK to return to FRA in the evening.

Another option would be to keep the A380 on the current SQ25/26 SIN-FRA-SIN schedule (given demand is probably highest on the SQ26 redeye) and running SIN-NRT-JFK-FRA with a 77W timed to connect to 25/26 in Frankfurt — so maybe like this:

SIN-NRT 0800 1500
                  NRT-JFK 1700 1600
                  JFK-FRA 1730 0730+1
                  FRA-JFK 0900 1200
                  JFK-NRT 1400 1800+1
                  NRT-SIN 2000 0300+1

Anyway regardless of how the schedule works out would be excited to have SQ on JFK-NRT as an alternative to NH/UA, particularly in Y where NH and UA have both gone 10-across

Comment

I think this schedule might work for SIN-NRT-JFK
                    SIN-NRT 2355 0730 +1 (current SQ638 schedule)
                    NRT-JFK 0900 0700 (1st flight from TYO into NYC)
                    JFK-NRT 0900 1300 +1 (again 1st flight from NYC to TYO)
                    NRT-SIN 1430 2010 (pushing current SQ637 later by 3.5hrs)

This leaves SQ12/11 unchanged

SQ's challenge with FRA is that SQ26/325 are the flights that is most popular. How they'll sort that I don't know; perhaps they'll just keep it unchanged since the SQ/LH JV is in place and LH might not want to let SQ change.
                    Last edited by 9V-JKL; 3 January 2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by truncated View Post
                      Eastbound:
                      SIN-NRT 0800 1500
                      NRT-JFK 1700 1600
                      JFK-FRA 1900 0900+1
                      FRA-SIN 1100 0600+1

Westbound:
                      SIN-FRA 2330 0630+1
                      FRA-JFK 0830 1130
                      JFK-NRT 1330 1730+1
                      NRT-SIN 1930 0230+1
                      I remember years back, SQ was considering a similar 2x daily RTW route to JFK with TPE being the Eastbound stopover. That was before BR started flying nonstop to JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by truncated View Post
                        SIN-NRT 0800 1500
                        NRT-JFK 1700 1600
                        JFK-FRA 1730 0730+1
                        FRA-JFK 0900 1200
                        JFK-NRT 1400 1800+1
                        NRT-SIN 2000 0300+1

Anyway regardless of how the schedule works out would be excited to have SQ on JFK-NRT as an alternative to NH/UA, particularly in Y where NH and UA have both gone 10-across
                        This one actually sounds likely to me - I bet they certainly don't need as much capacity on FRA-JFK and this does helps utilising the planes. This is as long as they're flying to JFK not EWR.

On another news apparently Japan has approved SQ's request to fly Tokyo-New York fifth freedom.

Michael

Comment

Blogger OMAAT has an article that suggest SQ requested this routing in June 2019 for a Mar 2020 start.
                          So with a 6 month approval, could we see this happen in Q4 2020? In line with the changes in the ULR routes?

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore...ew-york-tokyo/

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Blogger OMAAT has an article that suggest SQ requested this routing in June 2019 for a Mar 2020 start.
                            So with a 6 month approval, could we see this happen in Q4 2020? In line with the changes in the ULR routes?

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore...ew-york-tokyo/
                            Someone started a thread in airliner.net 12 hours ago. With the same information while OMAAT seem to have just posted this article 1hr ago (Facebook timeline is 44 mins ago).

Don’t think it will start in March. Should be starting at the winter schedule (as SQ638 is going to be swap to 77W)

Comment

SIA have decided to use back 777-300ER for the HND route in Winter 2020 as per latest update.

Singapore Airlines in inventory update once again filed service changes for Tokyo, in Northern winter 2020/21 season. Latest adjustment as of 03JAN20 as follows.

Singapore Airlines reversed all 359 for HND in W20
                              Singapore – Tokyo Haneda eff 25OCT20 SQ634/635, SQ636/631 continued to be operated by 777-300ER, instead of A350-900XWB
                              SQ632 SIN0805 – 1535HND 359 D
                              SQ634 SIN1405 – 2140HND 77W D
                              SQ630 SIN1725 – 0100+1HND 359 D
                              SQ636 SIN2245 – 0620+1HND 77W D

SQ639 HND0205 – 0820SIN 359 D
                              SQ631 HND0850 – 1525SIN 77W D
                              SQ633 HND1640 – 2320SIN 359 D
                              SQ635 HND2250 – 0525+1SIN 77W D

Singapore – Tokyo Narita SQ638/637 latest aircraft revision, A380 replaced by:
                              25OCT20 – 05NOV20 777-300ER
                              eff 06NOV20 – 29NOV20 787-10 (Previously filed with 777-300ER)
                              eff 30NOV20 777-300ER

SQ012 SIN0920 – 1705NRT 77W D
                              SQ638 SIN2355 – 0730+1NRT 787 D

SQ637 NRT1105 – 1745SIN 787 D
                              SQ011 SNRT2025 – 0305+1SIN 77W D

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                                SIA have decided to use back 777-300ER for the HND route in Winter 2020 as per latest update.
                                Very interesting development in light of all the speculation that there could be new deployments for the 77Ws elsewhere on the network. I’m guessing these were previously earmarked to be used on the CDG flights which will now remain A380. The missing link is where these A350s were previously coming from and will they will now go/remain.

Comment

Working...
                                X