Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Semi-Pictorial TR) Ending an Absence from SQ and Spending a Long(ish) Weekend in SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Semi-Pictorial TR) Ending an Absence from SQ and Spending a Long(ish) Weekend in SIN

This TR is dedicated to SQFAN and Kiwi, who coaxed me past my reticence to post a non-pictorial TR.

This is the tale of a trip that was scheduled for early May, but which suffered repeated postponements due to the demands of work. Finally I reached the end of the period for which the fare was valid, and I had to take the trip or else charge the client for the non-refundable fare. Fortunately the senior account manager had just returned from his holiday (the reason for one of the postponements), so he was very understanding about granting me a long weekend.

YES, FREEDOM! (Well, at least for a weekend, or so I hoped.)

“So where are you going to spend it?” my project team members asked.
    I just smiled and fixed them a knowing look.
    “No, not to … Asia?”
    I winked.
    “You’re crazy.”

Essentially the same exchange took place when I informed my client that I wouldn't be able to attend a particular conference call (I didn’t bow out from all of them, as you’ll see).

They find it incredible that I would fly out on Thursday, spend a couple of days in Asia, then be back by Sunday night. This trip further cemented my reputation as a guy with, um, an unorthodox take on “taking a breather”.

None of my colleagues has taken SQ, so it’s hard to explain to them how, even in Y, the flight could be an extension of the holiday on the ground. I still try, though. I look upon it as a Sisyphean task embodying the best spirit of the absurd.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Pre-Airport

I made sure that I was back in London the day before the flight to Singapore. (I had experienced what it was like to land at LHR in the morning from a workshop in NYC, pick up my holiday clothes from Left Luggage, park my work stuff in Left Luggage, switch terminals to my SQ flight, and then come back three days later to do the reverse to head out to an early morning work meeting in Amsterdam. I swore to myself, never again.)

What I couldn’t make sure of, was being free from work the night before to do the necessary packing. It took all of my energy to crawl into bed at 3 am and not forget to set my alarm for later in the day. Needless to say, I couldn’t really pack that night.

After an early morning in the office to send off some documents and take care of admin stuff, I could finally order my cab and pack for my weekend trip. Thanks to OLCI, I knew I could cut it a bit close when collecting my BP at LHR. I had no intention to do my usual over-shopping in SIN, so I could have packed just a carryon (plus a laptop bag with my work computer), but I wanted to bequeath my Victorinox rollaboard to my brother. So instead, I had a small, light (practically empty except for a backpack I was also bequeathing to my brother) piece of luggage to check in. Still, I wasn’t worried about the queue, thanks to *G status. My fingers were crossed that the new carryon weight limits wouldn’t be enforced on my flight, allowing me to bring my carryon plus laptop bag onboard.

Comment

At the Airport (LHR T3)

After a nap while my cab navigated the mid-afternoon traffic from Central London to LHR, I woke up to see LHR T3 coming into view. Compared to what it was like before all the construction was completed, I have to say that T3 now, at least from the outside, is a lot less dispiriting. On a sunny day, you get a wide open space to conduct you towards the terminal.

Inside, it’s a wholly different story. It’s still the same depressing checkin clutter and chaos: no natural flow to foot traffic, low ceilings, queues that stick out into the milling masses trying to find their airline’s checkin counter. It can only make travellers eager to get the checkin formalities over with.

It isn’t too bad if you’re used to the drill. I knew which zone SQ was in, and I knew not to join the snaking Y queue. Of course, a member of the queue police came by and duly inquired whether all of us in my queue were travelling in Business Class. Feeling cheeky, I said, “No, Economy.” As she prepared to pull me out of the queue, I pulled out my BD Gold card and said, “Star Alliance Gold”. She stepped back.

As luck would have it, by the time it was my turn to be called, the First Class counter became free. I was called forth, and a First Class priority tag placed on my Victorinox. Blah blah blah our lounge, blah blah blah prompt arrival at the gate, and I was off to the security queue, which was amazingly fast though still irritating when you got to the silly shoe x-ray.

This was my first trip after being demoted from KF EG, so the VS lounge was not an option. (Dang, I'll really miss KF EG for that. ) I had to “settle” for the SKL C, which was already at least half full from SQ pax. TBH, I wasn’t really crushed. The vegetable soup was delicious (hot food is the big advantage of the SKL over the London Lounge run by SK and AC), and the woman at the bar makes a mean G&T . (I started with wine, but that didn't quite have the same effect. After two sips, I decided to quit while ahead and return to my stalwart pre-holiday ritual.)

Plus, they had replaced the wimpy quarter-liter bottles of still water with a half-liter version … of Ty Nant, which, IMHO, has the most shapely plastic bottle among the mineral water brands. I admit, I take pleasure in little things, so I was a happy camper.

I left the lounge about 40 minutes before ETD, way before they announced boarding for the C class BP holders. The long walk to the gate -- so characteristic of LHR -- made me glad I brought wheeled luggage as my carryon (my favorite these days, a nice wheeled soft sided bag by Porsche Design, which I had spied at FRA landside). I arrived at the departure gate, which was the old-style LHR T3 depressing departure lounge, with a few minutes to spare before they began boarding. *G’s had priority boarding, per SOP at LHR, so I could comfortably settle into my seat before most of the Y pax came piling in.

(My hope was fulfilled: my laptop bag and my carryon didn’t elicit an extra glance. )

Sarong kebayas, blue and gray blazers, welcoming smiles, offers to help with luggage, immaculate loo (too much water and G&T, apparently ): I was back on the carrier I consider home.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 21 June 2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

The Outbound Flight: SQ319

The most amazing aspect of the SQ experience for me is the cascade of positive associations that create the total experience. The procedures are so structured; the branding elements so complementary; and the service delivery so consistently good that almost always, I find my expectations triggered and then met in a reinforcing sequence.

So, as a Y pax, I begin by observing the cabin crew being welcoming, polite and helpful to passengers. Then I see the SQ girls swing into action to ensure that the children are acknowledged and the parents feel supported. (I prefer sitting in the front cabin, so I’m typically one or two rows from baby central.) Then that memorable safety melody pipes into the cabin. The hot towels are distributed (fortunately, they didn’t perform their jhm-disintegration act ), which reinforce that I’m not on an ordinary airline. All the time, I find myself sinking deeper into a more relaxed state. (Note: I don't know the exact sequence of events: it's all a pleasant blur. Maybe it helps that I’ve yet to encounter an armrest hog on SQ, unlike on CX ).

After I had been gone from SQ for some four or so months, and had endured the demands of intra-Europe (even in C) travel, I was struck by how these seemingly small things struck a chord in me. I guess I’m brainwashed.

One factor has remained the same since the time I first flew on SQ: the differentiating factor that KrisWorld is. I still had so many films and TV shows I wanted to watch by the time it was time to prepare for landing. My being spoiled for choice in entertainment is, for me, a major distinction for SQ compared to its competitors. Passengers not particularly fussed about IFE wouldn't feel the same way. Passengers who just want to vegetate, even for a couple of hours, would sympathize with my sentiments.

I did keep an ear peeled for the safety announcements noted by Savage25. The more assertive tone was definitely there. But I didn’t find the structure of the announcement really un-SQ. First, the rationale for the announcement was given in the beginning of the announcement (“Ladies and gentlemen, because of air turbulence …”) . Secondly, the announcement came with the word “please” in the first command (“please return to your seat and fasten your seatbelt”). The rest of the sentences did use the words “must” and “should” more forcefully, but I personally didn’t feel slighted. I don’t like it when passengers continue to stand for extended periods of time when the signal pings and the seat belt sign turns on.

This flight confirmed the wisdom of ordering the Indian vegetarian meal as my special meal ex-LHR. The regular Y menu didn’t look very different from what I’ve had in the past, while the special meals were delicious. I can’t stress how nice it was to be served my meal ahead of the other passengers. Yes I gave up the omelette or the Asian noodle dish for breakfast; the early meal and the spicy alternative more than made up for that. The only downside was that the coffee had to come much later than the meal.

Soon, we were preparing to land. I think I dozed off, because the next thing I knew, we were taxiing to our stand. It was so nice not to worry about being bussed to the terminal. Tropical fronds waving in the sunlight outside, an airconditioned, newly-built terminal waiting for me inside: I love that combination.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 21 June 2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

wonderful report jjpb3! flying in SQ Y as well for the first time in ages, being used to intra-european (yes even C) travel, I very much look forward to having the same experience you had.

I usually don't bother with reports without pictures... yeah I am that bad... but yours was truely delightful. I probably should start reading picture-less reports whatsoever. So much I probably missed.

Looking forward to seeing you soon('ish').
          Flo
          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

You're definitely one of the SQTalkers I look forward to meeting, flo.

Bis Wien in September.

Comment

Fast Forward 1: The Weekend in SIN

Now just a fast forward through that weekend, as I’m running out of steam and it really did feel as though I went through a time warp. I decided to stay at the Conrad, because for the first time in a very long time, their rates were actually competitive with the reasonable alternatives for me: the InterContinental and the Pan Pacific Marina Square. I’ve always liked the Conrad, and this weekend reinforced that preference.
              • The breakfast buffet (I really enjoy breakfast buffets in Asia) featured my favorite combination: fried rice, some Asian dish (in this case, a vegetable curry and then spring rolls), and a freshly-made omelette – for both days of my stay.
              • On the second day, after I had sated myself on my customary buffet breakfast meal, I discovered pandan kaya on toast . I’ve always liked pandan-flavored bread/pastries, and of course, kaya on toast. Who knew I could combine these two preferences? I was in heaven, despite misgivings about the impact on my waistline. Note to self: leave enough room for a jar of pandan kaya in my luggage on my next trip to SIN, ask brother to get pandan kaya during his grocery shopping … or cajole SINners headed to Europe to bring a jar for me.
              • The staff were exceedingly friendly compared to how they were in the past. My brother noticed as well how the staff were so much more eager to make us feel welcome (despite my ragged shorts-and-sneakers look ). One overriding reason I've stayed away was that I felt I needed to wear business casual clothes at the very least to feel appreciated.
              • Oh yes, one last disclosure: I got my first upgrade at the Conrad Centennial as a Hilton Gold.

Any stay in SIN is always made more special by the chance to catch up with SQTalkers. Unfortunately, I only had time to meet up with sailaway75, Jubilee777, and the Irredeemable One. I learned about sailaway75’s backups to his digital library; got to sample open-air driving in Singapore’s tropical air ; and had a lip-smacking Chinese dinner with J777 and the IO. I also got to feel the immediacy of PM’ing, in the same (or almost) time zone, SQT luminaries SQfg and StarG. So close, and yet so far.

SQ LPP, you’re a prince for saying hello via SMS.

I felt I was surrounded with friends and family (my brother ). I almost forgot that I had spent my Friday in conference calls with Europe and the US.

P.S. It was astounding, the crowds at the PC/IT Fair (or something like that) at Suntec. The tide of humanity in CityLink was eye-popping -- reminded me of New Year's Eve.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 22 June 2008, 01:16 AM.

Comment

You are such a good writer, my dear! Can't wait till the finish line.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                SQ LPP, you’re a prince for saying hello via SMS.
                I wish I did not need to work, so I could sms more... Have to be a good minimum wage earner, you know!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your trip jjpb3. Shame about being so close yet so far, but I'm sure we'll catch up soon-ish!

Comment

An enjoyable read as usual.
                    Looking forward to the next installment.
                    Glad you enjoyed your trip to Asia, jjpb3.

Comment

Nice TR, jjpb3.
                      I for one actually don't mind non-pictorial TRs as words sometimes do more to capture the essence of the trip than the pictures do.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Nice report jjpb3.

Comment

Another excellent TR, jjpb3!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          I for one actually don't mind non-pictorial TRs as words sometimes do more to capture the essence of the trip than the pictures do.
                          Particularly in the case of an emotionally charged TR like this.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            Feeling cheeky, I said, “No, Economy.” As she prepared to pull me out of the queue, I pulled out my BD Gold card and said, “Star Alliance Gold”. She stepped back.
                            jjpb3, you're such an agitator!

Great pic-less report!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

I know how you feel. Haven't flown SIA in a long time until just over 2 weeks ago. It realy was like being back home......Always a great way to fly
                              Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Working...
                              X