Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Kampung Guy" Going South errr North, errr Both North and South...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here is the story of that crash:

Varig Flight 820 was a scheduled airline service from Galećo Airport, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Orly Airport, Paris, France. On 11 July 1973, the Boeing 707 made an emergency landing in a field in the Orly commune due to smoke in the cabin. The fire, smoke, and crash at the final part of the landing resulted in 123 deaths, with 11 survivors (10 crew, 1 passenger).

Flight 820's problems began when a fire started in a rear lavatory. Crew members moved to the front of the airplane toward the emergency exit, as many passengers in the body of the plane inhaled smoke. Prior to the forced landing, many of the passengers had already died of smoke inhalation.
    The aircraft landed at a field 5 km short of the runway, in a full-flap and gear down configuration.

Only one passenger survived, while the major part of the crew left the plane by the emergency exit at the top of the cockpit. The captain of this flight, Gilberto Araujo da Silva, disappeared 30 January 1979 while flying Varig Cargo Boeing 707 PP-VLU over the Pacific Ocean.

A possible cause of the fire was that the lavatory waste bin contents caught fire after a still lit cigarette was thrown into it, the FAA issued AD 74-08-09 requiring "installation of placards prohibiting smoking in the lavatory and disposal of cigarettes in the lavatory waste receptacles; establishment of a procedure to announce to airplane occupants that smoking is prohibited in the lavatories; installation of ashtrays at certain locations; and repetitive inspections to ensure that lavatory waste receptacle doors operate correctly".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_820

Comment

Great report so far, thanks abang dent@sub

Did you enjoy your flight on CX? I am flying CX next week to try out their new Y+.

Ahhh... same old A330-300... old regional biz class seats...

But wait...
      Look at the rego....
      It's B-LAH...
      It's A33B... the one that designated for the OZ route... the one with herring bone biz class seats....
      How do you know if an A330 has refurbished cabin in it or not? Can you differentiate by looking at the aircraft regos?

Comment

Originally posted by Mendousjeff View Post
        I am flying CX next week to try out their Y+
        You are not the only one, but I will be trying out thier F+. (Like F, but better. )

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
          No more Dermalogica toiletries....
          Oh No! Is that across the board?!?

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
          ...Hong Kong style milk tea...
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            You owe me royalties......
            Can you wait until I harvest my rice paddy field next season?
            Or you accept water buffaloes?
            Thanks mate for dropping by...

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            I think I may be too used to the J seats on SQ, but the seats on CX do look very narrow; do they feel claustrophobic, Dent?
            Width wise, this CX's herring bone seat can't be compared to SQ's long houl J seat...
            Yes, it look tight and narrow.... but once you're sitting on it, it's not that bad..
            That's quite ample of room for your shoulder for moving around.
            Maybe it's because of the height of the walls that make the effect of confiscated, coffin like feeling...
            But for overall, it's OK for me, the very big me...
            Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            As to the ashtray in the toilet, here's what I found out:
            Ahhh.... now it's sound make sense for me...
            Thanks mate for the info, and also for dropping by...

Great report so far, thanks abang dent@sub

Did you enjoy your flight on CX? I am flying CX next week to try out their new Y+.
            So far CX"s cabin service has never failed me... especially in the front (or upper) cabin...
            How do you know if an A330 has refurbished cabin in it or not? Can you differentiate by looking at the aircraft regos?
            I learned CX fleet's regos and configs from this website: Flyerguide for CX fleet
            Thanks mate for dropping by, hope you'll enjoy your CX's flight...

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
            You are not the only one, but I will be trying out thier F+. (Like F, but better. )
            Ahhh... that magnifico F seat...

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Oh No! Is that across the board?!?
            Dunno about F side, but in J, no Dermalogica anymore onboard... Now they've switched it with Murad products (including showers at The Wing..)... which is not bad, but I still prefer Dermalogica...

Comment

What a nice TR you got here!
              More food at HKG, perhaps?
              Lookin' forward for the continuation of this "FR"!

Comment

Originally posted by aa207 View Post
                What a nice TR you got here!
                More food at HKG, perhaps?
                Lookin' forward for the continuation of this "FR"!
                This time would be "TR", not too much "FR"...

Comment

After couples of days on "nutrition enhancement program" in HKG, it's time for this "kampung guy" to leave HKG...

In one fine morning, he arrived at HKG.... this time at Terminal 2...
                  It's been a while since the last time he visited this T2...

HKG T2 actually just a big hall for check-in with some shops and eateries...

The FIDS....

Air Asia opened up 7 (yes... seven..) counters for it's A320 flights... Quite generous for LCC class airlines...

Comment

This "kampung guy" looked up for self check in machine... he didn't want pay additional fee for check in at the counters...
                    But he couldn't find one...
                    So he end up queued at the check in counter...
                    (Queue??? What queue?? There's almost no queue at all at the counters... there's always an empty counter to serve the next pax... )

Air Asia's BP from HKG was quite different from the usual supermarket receipt like Air Asia's BP... This time just like normal full service airlines' BP...

After done with the brief check in process (hey... they didn't charge anything for check in at the counters here... ), this " kampung guy" went to airside....

That's quite a walk to reach the immigration counter...

Comment

Ahhhh..... finally... that's the line for the immigration... (what line? there's no line there.... )
                      Immigration at T2 always empty... never has been a long line there, not like at the crowded T1...

Not more than a minute, this "kampung guy" has already passed the immigration, and was on the line for security check...
                      Once again, there's no line for the security check...
                      Just need 1-2 minutes to pass the security check...

That's the security check, taken after this "kampung guy" has passed it...

Still quite a walk after that... passing the long empty corridor...

The walk ended up at a train stop....

Last edited by Dent@SUB; 6 October 2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Ahhh... no departure hall in T2... all pax must board that train to go to T1 for departure...
                        The train also quite empty at that time... so contrast with the train at T1 that always crowded...

It just took time about 3-5 minutes to reach the last stop...

The FIDS...

Now he must went upstairs for the departure hall....

Comment

And whoola.... here he was... the nice and populated T1...

Considering this "kampung guy" is an aircraft geek, don't be surprised to see so many planes shoot here...
                          It's his hobby...

Hmmmm.... something strange with that CX's B747-400...

Lets take a closer look at her...

Ahhhhhh.... the engines were different... they're not RR....
                          Was she the one that ex SQ's???

Comment

Suddenly this "kampung guy" saw something....
                            Aaaahhhhhhh..... Fauchon shop...

Sadly they only have cookies, candies and other confectionery... but no the famous most desirable, the delicious Fauchon Ice Cream...

But they have Macaroons.... the beautiful Macaroons...

Some aircraft shoots that was taken on his way to the gate...

CX Cargo "Silver Bullet" bare metal...

BA...

CX's One World livery...

Comment

LH Cargo "three holers" MD-11...

CX's Jumbo...

5J...

NH...

AK...

CI's Jumbo in 50th year livery...

Finally, he reached his gate...

The plane hasn't arrived yet...

Comment

But not for long...
                                A nice Thai Air Asia's A320 in special livery was approaching...

Comment

Working...
                                X