"For memory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    To not go to Taksim Place (in my opinion) is to not go to Istanbul. It's at its liveliest at the late afternoon and I LOVE going there. It really makes me feel like I'm immersed in the life of the city.

Galata: The ledge is about 3/4s of my arm's length (i.e. not alot), and it is very narrow... enough for two (normal-sized people) to suck their stomachs in as they pass each other.

The view is so, so, so worth it - you're probably gonna miss it if you just focus on photographs.

The restaurant is surrounded by the ledge I refer to above. I didn't eat there as it looked rather pretentious, and I like trying the more 'rough and tumble', local, rustic food...
    Ok, I looked at N_Architect's comprehensive pictures of Taksim (Thanks, N_Architect! How did you find Taksim?), searched through google and I still can't find any distinctive traits in the pedestrian streets that makes Taksim the definition of Istanbul. I'm afraid our opinions differ drastically here.

Seems like random crowded streets filled with shops and people to me. The shops don't even seem as exotic and colourful like the ones in the bazaar. Anyway I'd find out for myself this weekend. I might change my mind. Maybe I'd find myself chased by the local romeos or my shoes would be so shiny after my walk through Taksim.

The Bosphorus, the bridges, the skyline at the waterfront, the domes and spires (?) of the mosques, people fishing and hanging out at the Galata bridge and along the waterfront watching the sunsets, are what Istanbul is about (in my opinion).

Galata: So I can't put my camera with my long lens on the ledge? Is the ledge wide enough? I can't remember how long your arms are. I'd still need support with a stick? A tripod is definitely out of the question.

Don't worry about me not being able to enjoy the view. How'd I compose a picture if I don't look at the big picture first? Can't exactly compose just looking through a view finder, you know!

So, the restaurant is inside, surrounded by this viewing platform. Must be so distracting for the diners to have people walking about while they're having dinner. Or is the viewing platform closed to the public after a certain time?

Did my question imply I was going to eat there? I asked the question because I was not sure if the viewing platform was connected to the restaurant in anyway (or if they were on different floors), and if it would still be open to the public when the restaurant is open. I think I'd ask concierge on this one. The pocket guide I have on IST is really a pocket guide, not much info at all!
    Last edited by phaleesy; 28 May 2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
      Phew, that was a bit of writing for a Thu am at work.
      N_Architect, I forgot to respond to this!

I thought Thu am at work means work. Not SQT time!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        T. little shops selling Turkish delight, ice-cream sellers throwing ice-cream into the air... there is NOTHING like it.

Hearing the evening prayers across the city, seeing the Bosphorus. I'm gushing now...

There's a reason I recommend this city to everyone along with Barcelona... they are definitely my two most favourite places in Europe (yes, Turkey for me qualifies as 'Europe' also... hehe).
        I think turkish delight and ice-cream might change my mind. What's so special about the ice-cream? Different texture? Or is the throwing in the air a gimmick?

Ice-cream from certain middle eastern countries are chewy and have a slight tensile strength. Sorry that's the only description I can think of. Perphaps Turkish ice-cream is like that too?

I love Turkish delight! )) Were there chocolate coated Turkish delights on sale too?

I like to think that Turkey is Asia. Makes it more exotic. Europe is boring!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          Ice-cream from certain middle eastern countries are chewy and have a slight tensile strength. Sorry that's the only description I can think of.
          It's called Arabic ice cream (bouzat haleeb).

Talking of IST, I have to mention Saray Muhallebicisi (which translates as rose water pudding palace!) - a chain of cheap dessert shops (although they do kebabs etc as well) with the most yummy tavuk göğsü (chicken breast pudding - made of chicken, milk, cinnamon and rice flour) and many other treats. I could happily eat there for a week and try something new each meal time!

However, as far as baklava is concerned and having tried what is said to be the best in IST (Karaköy Güllüoğlu), whilst it's better than what we get here in the UK, it doesn't IMO match up to those in Lebanon (in particular, Rafaat Hallab and Abdul Rahman Hallab). The Turkish baklava is for me too sticky unlike the drier (and nicer) Lebanese version.

Comment

Working...
          X