Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicated post deleted

Comment

Can SQ be the best again and yet profitable??

I agree that Singapore Airlines' once world leading service and experience excellence has been deterioriating steadily and it saddens me. But I'm not sure if there is any other way to stem this and still remain commercially viable as a private listed company. I'm sure there are corporate bigwigs in SQTalk that can perhaps provide viewpoints if SQ can be world leading in all classes and yet still be profitable

Comment

have not posted here for a while after my last disappointment with SQ. I've been a spectator. This news is really bad for gold members such as myself. I have my year sorted out to guarantee gold status until the end of 2019 - meaning all tickets bought to get me gold status for next year as well.

I felt that recently SQ changed a lot of policy, beginning with premium economy upgrade awards which means no more direct economy to business upgrade for planes with PE. And then come the increase in mileage for SQ and MI. And then come the increase of other star carriers (I managed to get this redemption before the increase). And then come this pay option and a devaluation of miles by rewarding the lowest fare (as somebody said here: fivefold mileage).

I wonder what next? Will Krisflyer do ANA's AMC too? Requiring a certain number of flights on SQ to achieve status to stop the leakage (loyal customers leaving)?
        I, as Krisflyer member felt insecure already with these frequent changes in policy, and thinking of switching my star membership for gold status to others, the frontrunner being OZ.

I was a loyal customer. Nearly 100% of my Gold qualification was on SQ back in 2015 and before. Beginning 2016, it was about 60-70% SQ. But the next year (I just have my qualification cycle reset), it will be about 20-30% SQ and most of it came from NH, OZ and TG (and all tickets bought).

About the food, I do feel it was getting worse too. Especially CGK SIN sector - I often opted for dessert only. Even the business class food is not as good as in yesteryears. IMHO ANA has the best business class food. Even OZ and TG is better. SQ wins only because Book the Cook. I wonder if book the cook is the next to go?

Pillow is more or less gone from Y class in CGK sector, but my last SIN CGK has pillow.
        Still annoyed by the fact that 772/772ER/773 are still around.

It is sad really. I do not want to lose the KF membership I've held for almost 2 decades. Meanwhile I will stay with KF until SQ decides otherwise by announcing another bad policies

Comment

Completely agree this is a total disaster for KFEG members, whom I believe mostly book into the Flexi Saver fare. I had myself planned for next year to requalify as SQ Gold and reach CX Gold, but now that won’t be happening. Meanwhile over at CX, I have been treated so nicely over the past 6 months or so which had NEVER happened at SQ over the past 3 years as a Gold member. Having gotten op-upped 5 times this year just as a MPC Green/Silver member (that too sometimes on the lowest bucket fare), I now wonder whether it is worthwhile splitting my travels on both carriers or might as well focus completely on flying CX which would easily make me reach Diamond.

Having said that, with CX planning to go 3-4-3 in economy very soon, and of course the overall relatively superior inflight service of SQ I am left in a dilemma for the future.

Comment

Very disappointed with this move, to say the least. Charging for seat selection is sadly becoming an industry standard, but by doing this SQ is going the route of many others and thus removing a beneficial perk.

However, the devaluation of mileage accruals feels like a slap in the face. I have been able to maintain KFEG status for years, and the new rates would likely make it harder for me to maintain.

This "reward" for loyalty reminds me of the changes made to PPS in 2007.

And yes, I concur with the comments of catering declining not only in quality, but also quantity. Fewer items being served, and also fewer meal services.

Comment

I don't think the lowest ticket classes - those super saver fares (or those sale fares) will get 50%. But we'll see.

I am not sure if OZ Y class food is good. But I traveled on TG recently and the main course on TG is definitely more superior than SQ offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
                have not posted here for a while after my last disappointment with SQ. I've been a spectator. This news is really bad for gold members such as myself. I have my year sorted out to guarantee gold status until the end of 2019 - meaning all tickets bought to get me gold status for next year as well.

I felt that recently SQ changed a lot of policy, beginning with premium economy upgrade awards which means no more direct economy to business upgrade for planes with PE. And then come the increase in mileage for SQ and MI. And then come the increase of other star carriers (I managed to get this redemption before the increase). And then come this pay option and a devaluation of miles by rewarding the lowest fare (as somebody said here: fivefold mileage).

I wonder what next? Will Krisflyer do ANA's AMC too? Requiring a certain number of flights on SQ to achieve status to stop the leakage (loyal customers leaving)?
                I, as Krisflyer member felt insecure already with these frequent changes in policy, and thinking of switching my star membership for gold status to others, the frontrunner being OZ.

I was a loyal customer. Nearly 100% of my Gold qualification was on SQ back in 2015 and before. Beginning 2016, it was about 60-70% SQ. But the next year (I just have my qualification cycle reset), it will be about 20-30% SQ and most of it came from NH, OZ and TG (and all tickets bought).

About the food, I do feel it was getting worse too. Especially CGK SIN sector - I often opted for dessert only. Even the business class food is not as good as in yesteryears. IMHO ANA has the best business class food. Even OZ and TG is better. SQ wins only because Book the Cook. I wonder if book the cook is the next to go?

Pillow is more or less gone from Y class in CGK sector, but my last SIN CGK has pillow.

It is sad really. I do not want to lose the KF membership I've held for almost 2 decades. Meanwhile I will stay with KF until SQ decides otherwise by announcing another bad policies
                Hi 726, if you booked your ticket already for 2018 and 2019 before 20 Jan 2018 deadline and has ensured that you are going to qualify for KFEG based on the present miles earning calculation, then you don't need to worry too much coz the miles earned on SQ flights will still be based on when the ticket is purchased, not when the flight takes place. So you just had to pray hard that SQ did not do a major revamp on the earning elite miles on Star Alliance partners flight during the course of 2018 (it did for UA in 2017 with just few days notice, rendering many cheaper flight economy fare class earning less than the 100% originally awarded), otherwise your plan to requalify for KFEG maybe put into disarray.

Comment

Hmm... Let me see my travel pattern (on SQ flights) (Those in bold are those that I have problem finding seats/no seats left during advance selection).

2011 SQ856/SQ861 FLEXI SAVER
                  2012 SQ856/SQ861 SAVER
                  2013 SQ638/SQ637 SUPER SAVER
                  2013 SQ972/SQ977 SAVER
                  2014 SQ878/SQ877 SUPER SAVER
                  2014 SQ868/SQ861 SUPER SAVER
                  2014 SQ672/SQ671 SUPER SAVER
                  2015 SQ494/SQ495 SUPER SAVER
                  2015 SQ878/SQ877 SUPER SAVER
                  2015 SQ308/SQ317 SUPER SAVER
                  2015 SQ608/SQ15 SAVER
                  2016 SQ328/SQ327 SUPER SAVER
                  2016 SQ878/SQ877 SUPER SAVER
                  2016 SQ978/SQ973 SAVER
                  2016 SQ237/SQ228 SUPER SAVER
                  2017 SQ32/SQ31 SUPER SAVER
                  2017 SQ328/SQ327 SUPER SAVER
                  2017 SQ656/SQ655 SAVER
                  2018 SQ12/SQ11 SUPER SAVER
                  2018 SQ876/SQ877 SUPER SAVER

Seems like most of the travel are on Super Saver, some on Saver (becuase no Super Saver ticket left), so probably the thing that affects me would be the free advance seat selection (which can be a double-edge sword in my opinion).

But of course if I want to select seat in advance in future, I can just pay 2x US$5 (return trip) for single-segment standard seats, which comes up to be US$10 (around S$13 to S$15). I'll just take that as a form of airport/airline tax.

Inflight food wise, have to agree sometimes the food may not be as good, especially if it is out of SIN (by SATS catering, which is same company SG army cookhouse catering if you don't know). But sometimes their food do surprise me (e.g. the 70th anniversary Singapore Sling ice cream).

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
                    Hi 726, if you booked your ticket already for 2018 and 2019 before 20 Jan 2018 deadline and has ensured that you are going to qualify for KFEG based on the present miles earning calculation, then you don't need to worry too much coz the miles earned on SQ flights will still be based on when the ticket is purchased, not when the flight takes place. So you just had to pray hard that SQ did not do a major revamp on the earning elite miles on Star Alliance partners flight during the course of 2018 (it did for UA in 2017 with just few days notice, rendering many cheaper flight economy fare class earning less than the 100% originally awarded), otherwise your plan to requalify for KFEG maybe put into disarray.
                    Buy our 2019 tickets before 20JAN18? That's quite a challenge given they don't go on sale a complete full year prior and we would have to return on the same booking prior to 19JAN19 or possibly earlier.

If I were to make a booking today (17DEC17), the latest possible date I can return is 07DEC18.

Comment

Just want to clarify i bought all the tickets up to september 2018. My qualification year reset in november. Meaning i will reacquire gold by november 2018 with validity until nov 2019 should sq not change anything anymore, otherwise i am considering switching to oz for gold.

Comment

As a Velocity Gold flyer, I am concerned that only Flexi will earn full status credits than currently where Flexi Saver can earn full SC as well. So SQ is essentially killing its golden eggs by forcing Australian Velocity flyers to fly Saver on SQ instead, or if have money to fly P Class.

So this will lead to reduction of revenue for Australian routes for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post

I do agree that SQ "quality" has been dropped. My recent flights with SQ mostly to Indonesia, SIN-CGK/DPS/SUB-SIN. However, this is still on par with other airlines.

To say SQ Biz class food is worst than TG, I have to disagree. Many time, TG food in Biz, is just economy food with nicer silverware.

CX biz food also worst than SQ IMO. I think this is across the industries.

I have to say BR has better food in Biz. I never fly NH and OZ, so I cannot comment.
                          visit my blog

Comment

Will this apply if I also book from a travel agent? 95% of the time me and my parents do and when we do we get 100% of the miles. Recently however for my dad's Sep trip, he only got 10% because of the cheap off season fare.

Wow is this true? Normally my mom requests for an aisle on some legs and I usually request for window on all. We are usually given seats by request and change when necessary (Last time I didn't).

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              Will this apply if I also book from a travel agent? 95% of the time me and my parents do and when we do we get 100% of the miles. Recently however for my dad's Sep trip, he only got 10% because of the cheap off season fare.

Wow is this true? Normally my mom requests for an aisle on some legs and I usually request for window on all. We are usually given seats by request and change when necessary (Last time I didn't).
                              I was wondering about travel agent bookings too. I suspect you can still make requests and be honoured for the request whenever operationally possible, but you just won't be able to select a specific seat for free if it's KVNQ classes

Comment

Whether you purchase a ticket on SQ's website or through a travel agent, fare conditions are still the same. If the agent sells you a ticket that doesn't include seat selection, then it's not included. If it's a fare that does offer it, then you can go into your booking and select a seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X