Clear All

• TG Stops BKK-LAX non-stop

http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/30/tg-345/

http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/30/tg-s12update2/

Last flight 29/Apr 2012.

Route will then be BKK-ICN-LAX using 772

What are doing with their 340-500s?

Comment

Looks like TG is no longer an option to the US for me ex-Penang. It leaves way too early and arrives way too late for connection from Penang

Comment

Not surprised at all. Heard that the yields were terrible for that route.

Comment

Wow. Am planning to do this in April again actually.

Flight was chockers and usually fully-booked is what TG SIN said...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            What are doing with their 340-500s?
            Trying to sell them, like thye have been for the last few years.

The route has bled money from the start.

Comment

I hate that flight, on the return its 19 hours in that pressurised tube.....
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Well I was looking for flights to West Coast for end of the year (better spend those BD miles while they last) and considered the flight at first. Happy I made other arrangements by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Flight was chockers and usually fully-booked is what TG SIN said...
                  But the flights probably carry a lot of promo fare pax, from what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    indeed. Full does not mean it makes money, particularly when you are on an A340-500 with 4 engines hauling a hell of a lot of fuel for the first half of the flight. They probably need to sell each ticket at much higher fare to make profit, but people not willing to pay.
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      True. Ex-SIN, its usually in the region of S$4-4.5K All-in.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        True. Ex-SIN, its usually in the region of S$4-4.5K All-in.
                        That's like 50% of SQ's price! No wonder they are stopping it.

Comment

-Double posted-
                          Last edited by CarbonMan; 31 January 2012, 02:25 PM. Reason: Double posted

Comment

I think the main reason they stopped BKK-LAX is becuase they will get rid of their A345 right? Without this aircraft there is no other aircraft that can do BKK-LAX nonstop (??).

It is not about load factors or profit I suppose.

As for the biz class fare to LAX, I think not only TG selling at 4-5K region. DL, PR, CI are also selling around that region with MH, BR, NH, KE at $6-6.5K

Looking at their new schedule BKK-LAX will depart at 7:35 and LAX-BKK will arrive at 22:50, it is quite clear that this is not meant for connection from SIN, coz it will involve over night connection in BKK.
                            Last edited by lingua101; 31 January 2012, 06:14 PM.
                            visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                              I think the main reason they stopped BKK-LAX is becuase they will get rid of their A345 right? Without this aircraft there is no other aircraft that can do BKK-LAX nonstop (??).

It is not about load factors or profit I suppose.
                              It's all about profit. The A345 is an expensive aircraft to operate. Unless you can generate the revenue to pay for the running costs ( and make a profit ), no point in flying the route.

SQ could not make A345s work with business & executive economy mix. They had to convert them to all business class.

So you can assume TG was losing money with their A345 J / Y+ / Y mix and that's the reason they want to sell them. They wouldn't be getting rid of their A345s if they were making money!

Comment

Working...
                              X