Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ's OTT use of the seatbelt sign, and LSS lectures

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
    Little turbulence could turn into big turbulence, I am all for safety and have no issue if people are belted down to avoid them flying around hitting people. Drinks can always wait.
    Yes, but rarely does enough to justify the paranoia and they usually know when the big tubulence is coming anyway. In addition to this the vast majority of people are sat with their seatbelts on anyway these days, if they are not then they are stupid.

I am with kapitan on this. SQ are completely OTT with the seatbelt signs, the main problem being it is accompanied by the LSS getting on the tannoy and repeating the lecture she has already give half a dozen times on some of the longer flights :

PING!..... Ladies and Gentleman due to turbulent weather please return to your seat and fasten your seatbelts....parents please remove your children form the bassinet....toilets must not be used at this time..(which can be annoying when they leave the thing on even though you haven't moved as much as an inch for ages)...hot drinks service will not be served at this time...blah blah...

PING!.......Ladies and Gentleman due to turbulent weather......

All it needs is the slightest little movement and on it comes, on she comes (bl**dy annying if you are asleep in the middle of a long overnight flights) and they are never in as much of a hurry to turn it off as they were to turn it on. I fly a lot and on many different airlines, and none of them are even remotely as paranoid as SQ.

I am for safety and stuff, but they are well OTT with the seatbelt signs, and especially the lecture that accompanies it.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 24 August 2011, 03:31 AM.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Yes, but rarely does enough to justify the paranoia and they usually know when the big tubulence is coming anyway. In addition to this the vast majority of people are sat with their seatbelts on anyway these days, if they are not then they are stupid.

I am with kapitan on this. SQ are completely OTT with the seatbelt signs, the main problem being it is accompanied by the LSS getting on the tannoy and repeating the lecture she has already give half a dozen times on some of the longer flights :

PING!..... Ladies and Gentleman due to turbulent weather please return to your seat and fasten your seatbelts....parents please remove your children form the bassinet....toilets must not be used at this time..(which can be annoying when they leave the thing on even though you haven't moved as much as an inch for ages)...hot drinks service will not be served at this time...blah blah...

PING!.......Ladies and Gentleman due to turbulent weather......

All it needs is the slightest little movement and on it comes, on she comes (bl**dy annying if you are asleep in the middle of a long overnight flights) and they are never in as much of a hurry to turn it off as they were to turn it on. I fly a lot and on many different airlines, and none of them are even remotely as paranoid as SQ.

I am for safety and stuff, but they are well OTT with the seatbelt signs, and especially the lecture that accompanies it.
    +1. Just off the 16hr non-stop and the number of times this speech took place was neither funny nor necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
      Little turbulence could turn into big turbulence, I am all for safety and have no issue if people are belted down to avoid them flying around hitting people. Drinks can always wait.
      I am all for safety, I did not become the safety manager of a major marine company for nothing...... it is the lack of service that I was not happy about.... absolutely of them came around asking if we need a top up of water, no offer of juice of any kind was what peeved me off...... I was thristy, would love something to drink, .....

Apparently the FSS was sent to Y and it was only left to the IFS and a galley steward to serve J during breakfast, and the IFS was disapointing.
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

SQ needs to review its safety mania for sure - especially on night flights it is really annoying. I am not paying premium prices just to be woken up ten times a night with the full-blown PING! bla bla... I usually tell the IFS before take-off that they make sure they don't overdo it and turn down the volume so you can sleep when you are using ear plugs...

Comment

I seem to recall United have a the briefest of brief messages when the belts go on during the night, something like 'All crew and passengers fasten seatbelts' very quick...

Thai also are less paranoid about turning on the sign and they will let a little bit of light chop go for a couple of minutes without switching it on.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

On VS there would be one full announcement followed by "this is the last such announcement on this flight so please fasten your seat belt when you go to sleep, blah blah blah"

If the Health & Safety conscious British find it acceptable why can't SQ?

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
              I seem to recall United have a the briefest of brief messages when the belts go on during the night, something like 'All crew and passengers fasten seatbelts' very quick...

Thai also are less paranoid about turning on the sign and they will let a little bit of light chop go for a couple of minutes without switching it on.
              When I flew SYD-SFO on UA a few years ago all you ever got was the 'Ping' then 'Seatbelts please' in a fabulous Texan accent from the cockpit.

TG are much better than SQ with this. I did SYD-BKK-LHR with them last week and as I had done SQ on the outbound the way they handled it was markedly different.

Originally posted by 5x24 View Post
              On VS there would be one full announcement followed by "this is the last such announcement on this flight so please fasten your seat belt when you go to sleep, blah blah blah"

If the Health & Safety conscious British find it acceptable why can't SQ?
              Absolutely. And God knows we have to put up with some absolute nonsense under the guise of 'Health & Safety' in this country.

I have split the discussion on the seatbelt signs into it's own thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                When I flew SYD-SFO on UA a few years ago all you ever got was the 'Ping' then 'Seatbelts please' in a fabulous Texan accent from the cockpit.
                Yes that would be it, i just remember on lax-sfo it was so quick and i really liked it!!!

Comment

To top it off IFE freezes every time that announcement is made..

Comment

SQ should take it easy with the announcements. Even if pax get injured SQ can defend itself my saying the pax themselves should have fastened their seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                      It 'pauses' anytime any kind announcement is made, so I'm not sure why this should "top it off"

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                        On a TG 773 the other day the IFE reset to start menu two times when PA announcements were made meaning you had to go back and select what you were watching again and fast forward. very frustrating

Comment

This is Singapore, Singapore is well known for it's kiasu-ism and kiasi-ism analogy (Singlish which means scared to lose and scared to die).

If any of you out there one day were to sue SQ for any safety breach, all these "lectures" will come into good use to protect SQ.

I know some of you are also disgusted with the rule of no headsets to be used during take off & landing, it is the same thing.

Comment

Was on SQ015 from Inchon to Singapore last night..... the seat belt sign came on immediately when there were some small bumps, thankfully just after dinner.... Went off again and came on ... off, on,.... Then just stayed on until 30 minutes before arrival and its time to on it again for the descend......

Took a pictureof the flight path, apparently the plane skirted around the typhoon that struck Taiwan yesterday....

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

after flying numerous long haul sectors in UA in the past week it is as confirmed by man flyer a very neat and simple 'seatbelts please' - thats it. love it. all the crews seem to be the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X