No announcement yet.

CX A350 to Hong Kong, the Mira Moon Hotel, and a Run to Victoria Peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the amazingly detailed TR. You've posted a ton of TRs since my last post here!! Still amazed how you find the time to write them despite your busy schedule!

The CX Y on the A350 looks good. I'm not a fan of the interior color scheme and as you rightly point out, CX Y catering no where compares with what the other leading carriers are providing.

I've seen photos of their Y headrest on the CX website. It shows extended flaps instead of the standard fold flaps found on every other airline.

But I don't see any passenger making use of the extended flap in this TR. Did they do away with it on their newer A350s, or were passenger simply unaware of this new feature?

Comment

Thanks vy much once again, yflyer, for that comprehensively detailed TR! And Run Report, which has become yr signature trademark

I continue to marvel at how some of the SQTalkers can have such enormous tummies to stretch on demand, all in the name of documenting cuisines around the world, yflyer you certainly inclusive. Pls convey our appreciation to mrs yflyer for her recommendations and coercion upon you to sample some of the diverse ranges in HK, and we here can have a visual feast.

Mira Moon is certainly an interesting hotel, and perhaps something to consider in my next trip to HK. Like you, I think I'll like the idea of 4 rooms per level than sometimes having to navigating 400 meters of coridors to locat my room amidst the 100 rooms in that level.

It has never occured to me that the Peak can be attempted on foot, something to consider the next time too. But for you to scale It on a run, that's something else altogether. Salute to you yflyer! I don't know how old you are, but as for myself I don't think I can go on anything beyond 5km without requiring an ambulance thereafter. Amazing views to be afforded by yr Peak and Happy Valley RRs.

I sometimes wonder why will airlines like SQ, and now CX, undermine their overall pax experience by dishing out such poor quality headphones. Even the $2 shops (in SGP) produce better sound quality. I don't know if bulk tie-ups with headphone companies for basic entry level can be that deafening to the P&L? Anyway I'm tossing the idea in my head of keeping these low-quality earphones to offer to people on SGP MRT and public buses broadcasting whatever they are watching/listening to the whole cabin. Anyone out here think that completely unwise?

All in, thanks vy much yflyer for yet another fantastic TR and RR! Amazing reports! And as you continue to raise the bar, even upon yrself, I certainly look forward to your next installment!

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
        Yes you do 300 to get to SL, reset to 0 and then climb 600 to GO. Other OW carriers have their own qualifying criteria.

It really depends on how much traveling and where you travel on each class. Bear in mind that MPC changed from distance/sector based to revenue/sector based so the same flight will net you different club point levels based on the ticket bucket you book into. I fly Y monthly to HKG for personal, 2 or 3 trips to the US and a smatter of PVG and MNL for work on CX. With this I just push to make GO, so datapoint for you to consider where you wanna bank into. There are other cost sensible options for OW to get to the same status but I feel it will not be polite to hijack yflyer's thread for. Please PM me if you will like more information.
        Thanks a lot SINFJ for the clarification and insights as to how much traveling I must expect to do on CX. I shall definitely PM you soon regarding this, appreciate your help.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        Hi, GR1! The QF system for elite status looks quite different from MPC...it is based on status credits which you get on QF and Oneworld partners. The status credits vary depending on distance, class of travel, and also type of ticket (They distinguish between discount economy and regular economy tickets for example).

As for the tiers themselves Qantas Silver maps to OW Ruby, Gold to OW Sapphire and Platininum to OW Emerald, which really got me very good treatment, including access to CX, QF and BA F lounges and a couple of upgrades on BA and CX to J.

QF has a status even higher than Platinum, called Platinum One. I've never gotten that far but I have friends who have, and they are treated REALLY well.

Thanks for the explanation of how the MPC status works, SINFJ! Useful info! Not hijacking the thread at all.
        Many thanks once again yflyer for the information. Will surely split my travels and become a OW member as well.

Comment

...CX's outstanding lounges in HKG.
          "outstanding" is not a word that comes to mind when mentioning CX lounges in HKG. Then again, I get the funniest discrimination there…

Business Class is laid out in a herringbone 1-2-1 layout, where all seats have direct aisle access.
          Reverse herringbone.

I seem to have seen this magazine before...

I also found out later that while the breakfast menu did not list any alcoholic beverages, there was a full bar available onboard, including champagne, wine, beer and some liquor.
          You mean they didn't hand out a drink menu? I know CX is in trouble (YVR FAs are going from 3 day turns in HKG to 1 day. ), but that's odd.

...it is nearly impossible to differentiate one airline's egg breakfast with another's.
          Oh, I've had some REALLY good egg dishes onboard.

"I wish there was an Asian breakfast option, like noodles...." I remarked to Mrs yflyer.

"...all the local food you want for breakfast is right outside the hotel...how can the hotel compete with that?", Mrs yflyer replied.
          I liked your quip too, though.

...as Oneworld Sapphire (And previously Emerald)
          Dude! What happened?!?

I still think my RunKeeper around 1 Altitude can't be beat!

Were all the photos shot on the Olympus?
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            Thanks for the amazingly detailed TR. You've posted a ton of TRs since my last post here!! Still amazed how you find the time to write them despite your busy schedule!
            Thanks, icn.sg! I find writing TR's a great way to destress. Also helps me to remember my trips as well. I have terrible memory, so I need to write it all down!

The CX Y on the A350 looks good. I'm not a fan of the interior color scheme and as you rightly point out, CX Y catering no where compares with what the other leading carriers are providing.
            Ya, everything on CX seems to be a dark green. At least it is a relaxing colour, not bright red or anything. Come to think of it, many airlines just have one colour for the whole Y cabin (UA, BA, AY, EK). Seems SQ is one of the few these days that sees the need to have different Y seat upholstery covers on one plane, with different colours for different cabin sections...even different colours in a single row!

I thought CX J catering was pretty good. Y catering standards seem to have dropped drastically in recent years, though.

I've seen photos of their Y headrest on the CX website. It shows extended flaps instead of the standard fold flaps found on every other airline.

But I don't see any passenger making use of the extended flap in this TR. Did they do away with it on their newer A350s, or were passenger simply unaware of this new feature?
            Thanks for highlighting this feature of the headrest! I had no idea it had this feature, and I suspect neither did many of the other pax! I wish I knew about it, as it looks quite handy. It is certainly not obvious when looking at the headrest that it can transform like that. Maybe they should show a video on it in the main cabin.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
            Thanks vy much once again, yflyer, for that comprehensively detailed TR! And Run Report, which has become yr signature trademark
            Thanks, jammed! These days writing a TR feels incomplete if there isn't a run in it.

On some business trips, the schedule is so packed that the only chance I have to look around the place/city and actually see anything is on a run.

I continue to marvel at how some of the SQTalkers can have such enormous tummies to stretch on demand, all in the name of documenting cuisines around the world, yflyer you certainly inclusive. Pls convey our appreciation to mrs yflyer for her recommendations and coercion upon you to sample some of the diverse ranges in HK, and we here can have a visual feast.
            The food in these TR's would be a lot less interesting without Mrs yflyer's coercion! The dining regimen she subjected me to on this HKG trip can only be described as the culinary equivalent of high intensity interval training...At least she doesn't insist I accompany her while shopping

It has never occured to me that the Peak can be attempted on foot, something to consider the next time too.
            I would definitely recommend it! Distance-wise, it isn't too far, and whether you run or walk, the greenery you see along the way up is a nice contrast to the crowded city below...

All in, thanks vy much yflyer for yet another fantastic TR and RR! Amazing reports! And as you continue to raise the bar, even upon yrself, I certainly look forward to your next installment!
            Thanks again, jammed! Glad you enjoy reading them!

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
            Many thanks once again yflyer for the information. Will surely split my travels and become a OW member as well.
            Thanks, GR1! I think you will find it quite interesting to be able to sample what Star Alliance and Oneworld each have to offer, rather than having to choose a side and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              "outstanding" is not a word that comes to mind when mentioning CX lounges in HKG. Then again, I get the funniest discrimination there…
              I find the CX Lounges in HKG to be very impressive, especially the decor in the Wing, and F&B selection, especially the noodle bar in the Wing. At the very least they have more character than the SQ lounges at our home base in Changi!

Reverse herringbone.
              Ok noted! I had to google the term to figure out the difference between reverse and the regular kind...Still kind of confused by the definitions. Y is so much more straightforward.

You mean they didn't hand out a drink menu? I know CX is in trouble (YVR FAs are going from 3 day turns in HKG to 1 day. ), but that's odd.
              They handed out a breakfast menu which included drinks, but there were no alcoholic beverages in the menu for breakfast service.

CX did have a full bar onboard in J for the breakfast flight though.

Oh, I've had some REALLY good egg dishes onboard.
              My best was on a QR A350 in J...wonderful scrambled eggs. On SQ I've had some very nice eggs with runny yolks in Y on occasion. But most of the time, it is very forgettable omelette or frittata in Y...

Originally posted by yflyer
              ...as Oneworld Sapphire (And previously Emerald)
              Dude! What happened?!?
              The one year (or was it two) I qualified for Oneworld Emerald, I was doing an inordinate number of flights to Australia and NZ. Most other years, I do enough BIS miles to get to KF Gold/Star Gold and QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire (Remember all of this is done the hard way, in economy!).

I could make it to QF Platinum / Oneworld Emerald if I dropped SQ / Star and flew just Oneworld carriers, but I'm not prepared to do that (I am still an SQ fan ).

I still think my RunKeeper around 1 Altitude can't be beat!
              Yes, a classic run during our 10th anniversary celebration! All that was missing was the Vangelis soundtrack from Chariots of Fire!

Were all the photos shot on the Olympus?
              All these photos were shot on my iPhone 6 Plus!
              Last edited by yflyer; 25 March 2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I find the CX Lounges in HKG to be very impressive, especially the decor in the Wing, and F&B selection, especially the noodle bar in the Wing. At the very least they have more character than the SQ lounges at our home base in Changi!
                It's different when you try and use the offerings there and experience resistance.

Ok noted! I had to google the term to figure out the difference between reverse and the regular kind...Still kind of confused by the definitions. Y is so much more straightforward.
                hahahahaha Regular faces toward the aisle; reverse, away.

(Remember all of this is done the hard way, in economy!).
                Which is what makes your TRs so AMAZING…especially with so much detail.

All these photos were shot on my iPhone 6 Plus!
                OUTSTANDING! Really liked the architectural shots!
                HUGE AL

Comment

Sorry yflyer didn't get the chance to check the seat back thing... they decided they didn't want me in 59K on Saturday and the BP reader blushed and gave me her magical beep. Off to 31D I went

I have a SIN BKK in April though so I will remember to keep you in mind

Comment

hahahahaha Regular faces toward the aisle; reverse, away.
                    You explained it better than the wiki page!

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                    Sorry yflyer didn't get the chance to check the seat back thing... they decided they didn't want me in 59K on Saturday and the BP reader blushed and gave me her magical beep. Off to 31D I went

I have a SIN BKK in April though so I will remember to keep you in mind
                    Op-up to PEY! Outstanding!

Comment

You explained it better than the wiki page!
                      Wikipedia = sometimes #FakeNews
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks, icn.sg!

Thanks, GR1! I think you will find it quite interesting to be able to sample what Star Alliance and Oneworld each have to offer, rather than having to choose a side and stick with it.

Thanks a lot yflyer, further to the discussion with yourself and SINFJ, I finally decided to enrol with MPC and recently flew from HKG-SGN, and to my surprise - was immediately welcomed with an upgrade from Y to PEY on their A350. Wow - couldn't have been more impressed. I am certainly going to now only fly 50k miles with SQ and the rest with CX annually. Once again, thank you both very much for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks a lot yflyer, further to the discussion with yourself and SINFJ, I finally decided to enrol with MPC and recently flew from HKG-SGN, and to my surprise - was immediately welcomed with an upgrade from Y to PEY on their A350. Wow - couldn't have been more impressed. I am certainly going to now only fly 50k miles with SQ and the rest with CX annually. Once again, thank you both very much for the suggestions, much appreciated.
                          Congratulations and Hello from the other side

Comment

Just flew on one of SQ's A330's in Y, and took the opportunity to feel the back of the seat, and poke it from behind. There is definitely a hard layer within the seat, which prevents the knees (Or any other hard object) from pushing through the cushioning. If I were sitting in the SQ Y seat, I definitely would not have felt the knees of the person pushing through the cushioning.

So it looks like the CX A350 Y seat is comparatively soft in the back, in that the person sitting in the seat will definitely feel it if something hard is pressed into the seat back, as there is only cushioning in the seat back/lumbar area.

How about SQ's A350 seat? Haven't had the opportunity to try the knee test on that one yet!

Let's talk a little more about the Y seat.

Overall, I was quite comfortable in the seat. It had decent recline, and no underseat obstructions. No complaints about seat pitch, armrest or the headrest either.

There is one aspect of the seat that needs to be explored and maybe validated by others: while seat comfort, recline and cushioning were good, if there was pressure from behind the seat, such as from knees, it could be felt quite distinctly in your back.

I have never encountered this on any other long haul seat, although I have noticed this on some short haul Y seats (e.g Vueling's Airbuses).

When I first sat in the seat, I thought: wow, this seat has very firm lumbar support. I could feel something firm supporting my lower back. It dawned on me that it was the knees of the passenger behind me.

Later, Mrs yflyer remarked to me "I can feel the person behind me in my seat back. He keeps moving."

I have always had the impression that there was at least a layer of hard plastic, or hard something, within the seat frame. Was my assumption wrong? Do new generation Y seats all have soft backs with no hard layer?

Maybe the seats are no different from any other Y design, and the person behind me just happened to push exceptionally hard with his knees.

It would be great to hear what others think of this topic.

Apart from that, the CX Y seat was quite a comfortable design.

Comment

An upgrade on your very first flight as an MPC member! Good to hear! Well SQ and CX are both outstanding in different ways. Sometimes advantage goes to CX (e.g. Upgrades and home base lounges), other times SQ is the winner (Y catering on SQ is far superior...)...

Comment

So it looks like the CX A350 Y seat is comparatively soft in the back, in that the person sitting in the seat will definitely feel it if something hard is pressed into the seat back, as there is only cushioning in the seat back/lumbar area.
                                Correct, I was seated in the CX A350 Economy on the return leg from SGN-HKG and did feel the seat to be rather disturbing at times, due to the person behind pushing/resting his knee on my seat back.

An upgrade on your very first flight as an MPC member! Good to hear! Well SQ and CX are both outstanding in different ways. Sometimes advantage goes to CX (e.g. Upgrades and home base lounges), other times SQ is the winner (Y catering on SQ is far superior...)...
                                You're absolutely right. Though I was seated in PEY, the catering was the same as Y on that particular flight, and yes it is of no comparison to what SQ offers. I guess you cant have the best of both worlds, and must just compromise while flying either airline.

Comment

Working...
                                X