SQ Manila flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Manila flights

The four daily SQ flights to Manila use four different aircraft (772, 773, A333, 78X). Considering that the 772 and 773 are old and carry less passengers, wonder if there will be an eventual switch to 78X and A359 regional.

Originally posted by ekimnat View Post
    The four daily SQ flights to Manila use four different aircraft (772, 773, A333, 78X). Considering that the 772 and 773 are old and carry less passengers, wonder if there will be an eventual switch to 78X and A359 regional.
    MNL is changing, but no sign of 78X or A359 yet. From 1 August -- 30 September, it's:

910/917: 773
    912/919: 772 (SVx) -- sometimes subbed with 772 regional or 77W
    916/921: 333
    918/915: 78X

From 1 October through end of the Northern Winter timetable it's:

910/917: 773
    912/919: 773
    916/921: 772 (SVx off 912/919)
    918/915: 78X.

So, it's the A333 that disappears. That's consistent with the pattern of changes we're seeing on other routes.

Comment

I don't think the 773 will be going anywhere anytime soon - they offer F, where the nouveau riche of Southeast Asia who want to be seen can be found. I wonder how many cash F tickets they sell, given that it's still the 8 seat cabin...

You'd need to come up with a replacement - be it a 787-10 subfleet, a regional A35K, or some repurposed 77Ws.
      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
        I don't think the 773 will be going anywhere anytime soon - they offer F, where the nouveau riche of Southeast Asia who want to be seen can be found.
        I'd argue that the few who still insist on F to CGK and MNL generally are not "nouveau".

Comment

Then all the more you need F I guess, since they're probably important enough to SQ to continue justifying the F cabin.
          an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by ekimnat View Post
            The 773 may carry less number of pax in total but like previous posters have mentioned, it has an F cabin, and its J cabin is larger than either the A350 or 787's. Many times I find the J cabin almost full, while the F cabin doesn't go out empty either. On more than one occasion the IFM has told me that it's 8/8 pax in F! So there must be a demand still. Admittedly sometimes it's just 1 or 2 pax, but the F offering is kinda 'low budget' though (no Krug, SQ910 breakfast service is quite similar to JCL...) but probably keeps whoever flies it happy enough.

Do not forget also that SQ kept its last spacebed configured 77E (9V-SVF) on the SQ916/921 rotation for several months, and also the 2 last ultimo recliner J 772s (9V-SRJ/L) on the SQ915/918 rotation. Also, the last 77W to be refurbished (9V-SWT) was frequently seen on the MNL route in the two months or so before it was refurbished. Managed to catch it a few times (was an upgrade over the 773 though...) But my point is that SQ seems to like to send its oldest birds on this route. And I suppose if you consider the competition, one might understand why they don't feel threatened.

I think the 787 was rostered onto SQ915/918 rotation not because they wanted to send a new aircraft but because SQ actually needed the capacity, and perhaps this flight pair fits into the overall 787 fleet scheduling better than the other flights do.

Comment

For many airlines especially Asian ones, many have removed theor F class product from their regonal services including Cathay, China Airlines and JAL.
              Soon SIA will likely foolow suit for its MNL and JKT services once the 773 leaves the fleet, but perhaps for JKT there may be served by the 77W when aircrafts are available to do the short trnaround service. With just only 4 F class seats in its 77W and possibly its 777X planes, short regional flights may not even need F class anymore, considering now regional biz class is still 1-2-1 across seating.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                For many airlines especially Asian ones, many have removed theor F class product from their regonal services including Cathay, China Airlines and JAL.
                Soon SIA will likely foolow suit for its MNL and JKT services once the 773 leaves the fleet, but perhaps for JKT there may be served by the 77W when aircrafts are available to do the short trnaround service. With just only 4 F class seats in its 77W and possibly its 777X planes, short regional flights may not even need F class anymore, considering now regional biz class is still 1-2-1 across seating.
                The demand for F on CGK routes are still strong

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
                  The demand for F on CGK routes are still strong
                  Yes demand is strong mainly for CGK flights - but even with F class its only 4 seats.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    Yes demand is strong mainly for CGK flights - but even with F class its only 4 seats.
                    The 773 has 8 seats in F.

Comment

Yes for now the 773 do have 8 F seats fpr now, but in the near future when the 773s goes, then we have only the 77W with 4 seats.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                        The 773 may carry less number of pax in total but like previous posters have mentioned, it has an F cabin, and its J cabin is larger than either the A350 or 787's. Many times I find the J cabin almost full, while the F cabin doesn't go out empty either. On more than one occasion the IFM has told me that it's 8/8 pax in F! So there must be a demand still. Admittedly sometimes it's just 1 or 2 pax, but the F offering is kinda 'low budget' though (no Krug, SQ910 breakfast service is quite similar to JCL...) but probably keeps whoever flies it happy enough.

Do not forget also that SQ kept its last spacebed configured 77E (9V-SVF) on the SQ916/921 rotation for several months, and also the 2 last ultimo recliner J 772s (9V-SRJ/L) on the SQ915/918 rotation. Also, the last 77W to be refurbished (9V-SWT) was frequently seen on the MNL route in the two months or so before it was refurbished. Managed to catch it a few times (was an upgrade over the 773 though...) But my point is that SQ seems to like to send its oldest birds on this route. And I suppose if you consider the competition, one might understand why they don't feel threatened.

I think the 787 was rostered onto SQ915/918 rotation not because they wanted to send a new aircraft but because SQ actually needed the capacity, and perhaps this flight pair fits into the overall 787 fleet scheduling better than the other flights do.
                        I observed MNL gets the 'hand me downs', it's like it's a stepchild in SIA's network. It's much different from how CX considers MNL: getting priority when it comes to the newer birds. For instance, when both A350 variants joined CX's fleet, MNL was among the first to enjoy it.

I read somewhere that SIA is acquiring 737s, probably going to absorb those from MI. I bet once SIA retires its 20+ year-old birds for good, MNL will be among those to get the 737s, which are clearly a step down.

Comment

SIA is not acquiring 737s but Silkair will be absorbed into SIA and there will be no more Silkair in the next 2 years. Doubt SIA will use the 737s to MNL as the capacity is not there and will be using the new regional 787s and A350s to MNL which have already began earlier with one of the flights.
                          Last edited by flyguy; 7 July 2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                            I'd argue that the few who still insist on F to CGK and MNL generally are not "nouveau".
                            Definitely not “nouveau” riche.

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                              I observed MNL gets the 'hand me downs', it's like it's a stepchild in SIA's network.
                              I think it's just about competition. Other airlines on the SIN-MNL route are still inferior to SQ's oldest aircraft.

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                              I bet once SIA retires its 20+ year-old birds for good, MNL will be among those to get the 737s, which are clearly a step down.
                              I highly doubt it, unless SQ adds a really early morning departure ex-SIN, like how the first flight to DPS at 7am is operated by MI now..

I really hope they don't remove F completely though. Regardless of the trend in things or what others say, I find F still a step up from J and enjoy flying it whenever I can on the MNL route.

Comment

Working...
                              X