Jewel Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jewel Preview on 16 April 2019

I visited Jewel at Changi Airport on the evening of 16 April, on the final preview day before the complex opened to the public on 17 April.

I had just landed from Manila at 6pm, and as I was in transit, with a boarding pass for my flight to Kuala Lumpur the next morning, I was able to obtain a QR code/ticket for the preview in the airside area of T2. QR code in hand, I cleared immigration and headed landside to visit Jewel.

From T2, I followed the new signage to Jewel...

...which is connected to T2 by a long covered walkway...

...which led to one of several entrances to Jewel...

Last edited by yflyer; 19 April 2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The waterfall, named the rain vortex, in the middle of the atrium was just ahead...

...and it was stunning...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 April 2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

It is almost impossible to take a bad picture of Jewel, but it must also be said that photos do not do it justice...this place must be seen in real life to appreciate its sheer scale and atmosphere...

The whole atrium was packed with visitors, and so were the many balconies and vantage points all round the atrium...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 April 2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

The combination of glass, metal, water and forest just gave the whole atrium an otherworldly atmosphere...

I didn't ride the sky train through the Jewel that day but views from in there must be quite spectacular too.

Last edited by yflyer; 17 April 2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

In the lower levels of Jewel, the waterfall is contained within a transparent cylinder...

...with many eateries surrounding the central core...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 April 2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

A large mall is wrapped around the central atrium, with a huge range of shops...

Part of the queue to enter the Pokemon store...

The Control Tower is also visible from within the complex...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 April 2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Escalators connect the various floors, right up to the very top of the atrium...

The scene before you changes colour by the second...

There was also a rain vortex light and sound show scheduled for 7.30pm but I did not stay to watch it.

Comment

To sum up my impressions from the preview today, I found Jewel to be a jaw-dropping new addition to Changi Airport that looks to become a must-see, possibly even iconic, attraction.

The buzz and visitors' collective awe I felt in Jewel today was not unlike the electric atmosphere when the original Changi Airport first opened at the end of 1981.

I think Jewel will be a very busy place for some time to come.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 17 April 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    I visited Jewel at Changi Airport this evening, on the final preview day before the complex opens to the public tomorrow.

I had just landed from Manila at 6pm, and as I was in transit, with a boarding pass for my flight to Kuala Lumpur the next morning, I was able to obtain a QR code/ticket for the preview in the airside area of T2. QR code in hand, I cleared immigration and headed landside to visit Jewel.
                    I was on the same flight! Was sitting in 35G. Guess we missed each other.

I didn't have enough time to go to Jewel as I had to make my way to T3 for next flight but did take the re-opened T2-T3 Skytrain through the Jewel. Got a nice view of the waterfall where the Skytrain slowed down for a bit as well.

Comment

Im assuming if i have a 7 hour at Changi, I would have to clear immigration just to visit the Jewel?

Comment

Originally posted by sqtrans View Post
                        I was on the same flight! Was sitting in 35G. Guess we missed each other.
                        I was in 34J , just a few feet away!

Originally posted by sqtrans View Post
                        I didn't have enough time to go to Jewel as I had to make my way to T3 for next flight but did take the re-opened T2-T3 Skytrain through the Jewel. Got a nice view of the waterfall where the Skytrain slowed down for a bit as well.
                        The Skytrain through Jewel is amazing, isn't it! I rode it yesterday after I landed from KL...will post a video shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                          Im assuming if i have a 7 hour at Changi, I would have to clear immigration just to visit the Jewel?
                          Yes you have to clear immigration -- it is a landside facility. There are signs recommending a minimum 5 hour transit stop to clear immigration and visit Jewel, so you have more than enough time.

Comment

Yesterday evening, after returning from KL on SQ117, I took the T2-T3 Skytrain through Jewel.

This was an airside Skytrain, only accessible to transit passengers, or arriving/departing passengers in the airside area.

Skytrain through Jewel (T3 to T2)

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                            No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                            I AGREE

Skytrain through Jewel (T2 to T3)

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                            No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                            I AGREE

Note that only one of the several Skytrain routes passes through Jewel. Please refer to the yellow route in this sign.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 April 2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

As wonderful as Jewel is, it will be interesting to see how well the business there performs.

I dropped by Jewel yesterday and aside from the eating outlets, many of the other shops were relatively empty.

Was the whole mall based on the transit traffic in Changi? If so, we hardly see many SQ flights that have longer than 5 hr connections and given that you need to exit immigration to access the facility, it becomes inconvenient.

Comment

I think the idea is that the opportunity to visit Jewel will get more people to willingly book longer connections, but I'm not so sure about it.

TODAY also states that not having a convenient access to transit could be an issue as well.
                                an infrastructure geek

Comment

Working...
                                X