Asiana J SIN-ICN RT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asiana J SIN-ICN RT

I just came back from a trip to ICN. It was my first time flying OZ and thought I’d do a TR. I found a Z-Class fare on Zuji for S$2069 and grabbed it. The fare was only valid on OZ754 (2.20am dep. Ex-SIN) and OZ753 (7.15pm dep. Ex-ICN). OZ754/753 runs 4x a week until the end of the month. This is on top of OZ’s daily service (OZ752/751). According to the fare rules, no changes were allowed after ticketing but I managed to change the return flight to an earlier date by calling Asiana directly. The agent even rebooked me on OZ751 which gets in at 9.30pm instead of OZ753 which gets in at 1am. Anyways, on with the report…

OZ754 SIN-ICN, Seat 1K

I don’t have any pictures for this flight, so I’m just going to do a quick point form report:

•Arrived in Changi at about 1am and Asiana’s check-in counter (and Terminal 1) was deserted

•There was only 1 other passenger in the SATS Premier Lounge; the two of us were the only passengers in J

•There wasn’t any food except for Haagen-Dazs ice cream and peanuts but one of the cleaning ladies offered to cook me something if I’m hungry but I wasn’t

•There were only about 130+ passengers on the A330-300

•Boarding was quick and the plane pushed back 15 minutes early

•Drinks were promptly served and refills offered; champagne, orange juice, and water were on offer

•Immigration forms were handed out by the flight attendants along with Asiana branded pens

•Eyeshades, ear plugs, and slippers were given to us and other amenities such toothbrush were available in the lavatory

•The flight attendants came back to take breakfast orders; they explained that they will only be serving breakfast on the flight and that we could have our breakfast whenever we wanted (for the menu, see the OZ menu thread)

•After take-off, drinks were offered again with some packaged mixed nuts

•With only 2 passengers out of 30, service wasn’t going to be a problem. The 3 FA’s were visibly bored. Both of us were sitting in Row 1 and the FA’s would stand in Row 2 to make sure everything is ok. A little too attentive IMHO.

•Played around with the IFE but the selection is quite limited, only a fraction of what’s offered on Krisworld

•Asiana’s J seats aren’t the best either but it’s not too bad. I still managed to get a few hours of sleep. The Spacebed is definitely better.

•Breakfast was served as soon as I woke up, about 2 hours before landing at ICN. Breakfast was pretty standard. The seafood dish was pretty bland but luckily they had the Korean hot sauce which made it so much better.

•Rest of the flight was uneventful and we landed in ICN early. ICN was also deserted, there wasn’t any queue at immigration and bags were already out by the time I got to the belt.

OZ751, Seat 2K

I took quite a few pictures on this flight and I’m going to let them do the talking…

•I got to the airport at around 2 pm and there wasn’t any queue at Asiana’s Business check-in counter but I had to wait 5 minutes before I was served

•I asked for a window seat and had the aisle seat blocked (flight had 8 empty seats in J)

•The security checkpoint and immigration were a breeze and went straight to the Business Class lounge

•The most disappointing aspect of the lounge was the food selection…

•…but the view is great!

^^The A333 that will take me to SIN pulling into Gate 30

^^Ssam-bap (for the menu on this flight, see OZ Menu thread)

•The Korean food was really good. They give an instruction card on how to eat it.

•After the meal service, the FA’s were always there if you ever need anything

Conclusion:
    I think OZ is a notch below SQ but for the price I paid it’s a steal. I think SQ charges around $3500 for SIN-ICN in J. SQ is not that much better that I’m willing to pay $1500 more. Overall, Asiana’s flight attendants were awesome but the seat and the IFE were just okay. I won’t hesitate to fly them again.
    Last edited by Bon; 16 December 2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Useful to compare with SQ option SIN-ICN.

What a bargain!

Comment

Quick however nice review. Touches many of the important points any frequent flier would pay attention to. Thanks for sharing.

Two pax in the J cabin on the way down? Of course it's a red-eye flight, but again, you don't see that in SQ J even in your wildest dreams... And at that price it's a good deal.

Comment

Not to mention SQ don't even have beds on their red-eye ICN flights. Only a regional B773 is used.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Looks like it is a very good alternative to SQ J for the route, especially at that price!

Comment

Very informative TR, Bon.

I agree with your (and others') assessment: regardless of the redeye schedule and the gap in hard and soft products, OZ would be hard to resist for SIN-ICN at those prices!
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
              X