MEL - DRW on JQ678 on 24th Nov 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEL - DRW on JQ678 on 24th Nov 2008

Hi all. This is my first trip report, and I hope to be contributing more as I have a few upcoming flights in December and January. I recently took a two week vacation to Darwin, Alice Springs, the Barossa Valley and then back to Melbourne via the Grampians and the Great Ocean Road, and this trip report covers the first (and only flying) leg of the trip. Decided to fly the late night JQ flight as it was more than half the price ($142 all in, no checked baggage) of the day time flight and either of the DJ or QF alternatives. Thought this to be extremely good value, and I do not mind flying budget if it provides significant cost savings.

Having an extremely busy day, I was running way behind schedule by the time I reached Southern Cross Station to catch the Skybus to the airport. Cost of the bus is $16 one way or $26 return, which is good value if you are traveling by yourself or with only one other person as one way taxi fare to the airport is around $45 from the city. I got onto the bus at the terminal at 8.43pm, but the driver told me to head to the ticket office 10 metres away to purchase the ticket. After doing so at 8.44pm, the driver of the 8.45pm bus just drove off as I was 5 metres from the bus! This caused me to barely make it to the airport on time to check in, arriving at 9.25pm when gates closed at 9.35pm.

Skybus station at Southern Cross Station. Don't be late!

I was pretty disappointed to be issued a receipt like boarding pass at the check in counter, and was told by the staff that I could only get a normal sort of boarding pass from the self-check in koisk. I had refrained from doing online check in because I wanted a normal boarding pass, but this is not a big issue.

After passing security, I had a few minutes to take a picture of the aircraft I was going to be flying to Darwin on, VH-VQI. The glass was thick and dirty, and the surrounding very dark, not good for photography at all.

VH-VQI tonight as JQ678

The flight was supposed to take off at 2205 hrs, but boarding only commenced around 2200 hrs if I remember correctly. Pretty crowded waiting area, Gate 10 in the Qantas domestic terminal.

I have never really understood why people love carrying their own pillows on board. It must be quite inconvenient carrying them on and off the plane and transporting them around, especially if you are on holiday.

The seats on the JQ flight were slightly larger than I expected, with decent 31 inch seat pitch, although not overly generous by any means, as per the norm for your typical budget carrier. But given that the size of your average Aussie male or female is significantly larger than the average Asian, I think the normal sized Asian should seat fairly comfortably on JQ intra-Australian flights. I am almost 1.8m and not lean by any means, and I felt drawfed by many of the other passangers.

Leg shot

Still enough space for my entire hand!

My travel companion's leg shot (for seat pitch showing)

Safety card on board this JQ A320-232

I was seated in 8C, pretty decent forward asile seat in theory. However, for this flight I was pretty unlucky as there was a very overweight woman to my left on 8B who encroached slightly into my seat space, and the perpetual wailing cacophony of three kids in 9A, 9B and 9C throughout the entire flight . However, I had my iPod handy and was able to drown out most of the crying except for the occasional wailing outburst.

Travel guide book and boarding pass

View from 8C

View from the rear of the aircraft

View from the front of the aircraft

Comment

As this was a budget flight, no meals were provided for free. A decent selection of light meals, snacks and beverages was able to be purchased.

The à la carte menu

The set meal/combo menu

As I had not eaten anything since around 11am, I was pretty hungry and decided to have a light meal (as opposed to a snack). Paid my $5 for tuna pasta in a can. It was surprisingly pretty tasty!

Tuna and Pasta

My choice of beverage was a 200ml bottle of Jacob's Creek sparkling wine. Although not in the same league as Krug or Dom, this humble bottle of non-vintage Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brut Cuvee cost me only $6 and served its purpose. I prefer the sparking wines of the smaller Australian wineries, and find the low end Jacob's Creek wines to be pretty inferior in comparison. The same can be said for any of the lower end wines from the big wineries. However I had no choice as this was the only sparking wine available.

Jacob's Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brut Cuvee

My humble supper

The flight departed Melbourne at 2220 hrs (Melbourne time), and arrived in darwin at 0105 hrs (Darwin time, -1.5 hrs from Melbourne). Scheduled depature was 2205 hrs, and arrival was 0055 hrs. I had forgotten to factor the time difference in my initial calculation, and was quite puzzled when the flight was going on for much longer than the initially anticipated three hours. It was actually supposed to be a four hour and fifty minute flight.

All round, it was a pretty decent flight except for the screaming kids in the row behind. Extremely good value for money. In my opinion, within Australia, if you can get a Jetstar flight to and/or from a good (i.e. major) airport, the fare would probably be the lowest to any comparable destination served by DJ or TT. Having no checked bags, I was able to walk out of the plane with my backpack straight to the airport shuttle which brought be into the city.

VH-VQI at Darwin International

I hope you enjoyed reading this. I will post a mini-trip report of my train ride from Darwin to Alice Springs and Alice Springs to Adelaide if anyone is interested in reading about the facilities and what to expect in a red seat and sleeper aboard The Ghan.

Comment

Thanks, jn82 - a detailed and interesting report on JQ.

Originally posted by jn82 View Post
        I hope you enjoyed reading this. I will post a mini-trip report of my train ride from Darwin to Alice Springs and Alice Springs to Adelaide if anyone is interested in reading about the facilities and what to expect in a red seat and sleeper aboard The Ghan.
        Yes, please!
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Yes, please!
          Just some teaser pictures before I start on The Ghan TR soon then KeithMEL. It's been a long two weeks and I can still feel the effects of the trip today...

Great to see some interest in train travel. From my solitary train ride to date, I can say that if one has the time to spare, then the train (in a sleeper) is definately the way to go.

Locomotive

Passanger carriage

Comment

Great pics! Thanks for sharing with us - Look forward to the TR (train report )

Comment

Working...
            X