• Show
Clear All

And the 777-9 flies for the 1st time!
    https://youtu.be/z4t7L6p2Rug

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      And the 777-9 flies for the 1st time!
      https://youtu.be/z4t7L6p2Rug
      Lovely! What a sight. Hope the flight test program goes well.

Comment

SQ should get their new first 779 by mid 2022 if all the flight tests goes well.

Comment

The sooner the better some of the 777-300Ers are getting on in age.

Comment

Yup the earlier 77Ws are coming to 15 years now. The problem is not that the planes are getting older, but seems that SQ does not really maintain their aircraft interiors in good condition, as have been on much older BA 77W of 18 years old and it was really in good and almost new interiors including the carpeting. Have even been on a 6 year-old Silkair A320 with its interior looking haggard and even my tray table was not align properly and seats were looking very old. And on way back on a 5 year Malindo 737 with very clean and well maintained interior.
            Last edited by flyguy; 31 January 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

But what's going to replace those 77W? Surely not the 779?

I presume SQ was counting on the 778, but given Boeing's current state they'd be well placed to look at A350-1000s instead.
              an infrastructure geek

Comment

It should be the 779 to replace the 77W as well as if SQ looks at the A350-1000 then its the same as the 779 and even the A350-1000 is slightly longer. It Boeing does go ahead for the 777-10 then SQ will likely order this for replacing the A380s.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  BA 77W of 18 years old
                  BA received their first 777-300ER (77W) in 2010, and even the world's first 77W to Air France was delivered in the mid 2000s. You must be referring to a BA 777-200ER.

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                  But what's going to replace those 77W? Surely not the 779?

I presume SQ was counting on the 778, but given Boeing's current state they'd be well placed to look at A350-1000s instead.
                  The 777-9 was ordered to replace the 77W, at least the oldest ones. No airlines outside the Middle East have shown any interest in the 777-8. It's a niche aircraft, and SQ's A350ULR fills that niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                    The 777-9 was ordered to replace the 77W
                    Probably, as a replacement for SWA-SWT. Though in that case they’ll definitely have to order more in the future as a replacement for the A380s.
                    Last edited by oliverdave; 31 January 2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      The 777-9 was ordered to replace the 77W, at least the oldest ones. No airlines outside the Middle East have shown any interest in the 777-8. It's a niche aircraft, and SQ's A350ULR fills that niche.
                      Oh well, then I guess could have more 779s to replace the A380s in addition to the 77W. I guess it would form an upgauge from the 77W, so perhaps a 779 would be a good middle ground between the 77W and A380.

I don't see Boeing going with a 777-10 given their current state, so perhaps SQ may have to densify the 779...
                      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Sorry to break hearts here (including my heart as I love the A380!) but the B777-9 is likely to start replacing the A380 first and the B77W progressively being replaced by current Long haul A359. Source from my group of SQ pilot crew mahjong mates. All of them have moved over from the A333 pool into the A359 pool. SQ might exercise their options for more B777-9 to cover some B77W service only if the demand justifies it. Plans do change and I’m hoping the A380 fleet will stay around longer!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                          It should be able to handle a nonstop SIN-SFO pretty well.
                          Is the 777-X comparable to the 77W in terms of range?

Comment

Some of the 20 ordered 779s will mainly replace the 77Ws and unless SQ decides to retire 4 of their older unfitted A380s within the next 2-3 years. The A359 cannot all replace the 77W as the 77W have all 4 classes whilst the A350 basically do not have F class and carry slightly less pax. But SQ will have to order more 779s or the A350-1000 when the older refitted A380s are being retired. But that will be in another good 8 - 14 years from now unless SQ find the A380s too uneconomical to operate before that.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              The A359 cannot all replace the 77W as the 77W have all 4 classes whilst the A350 basically do not have F class and carry slightly less pax.
                              SQ have been reducing the number of F seats for quite some time. F isn't the market it once was and J is closing the gap in terms of offering. It wouldn't be surprised if the F seat count across the fleet is further reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                                Sorry to break hearts here (including my heart as I love the A380!) but the B777-9 is likely to start replacing the A380 first and the B77W progressively being replaced by current Long haul A359. Source from my group of SQ pilot crew mahjong mates. All of them have moved over from the A333 pool into the A359 pool. SQ might exercise their options for more B777-9 to cover some B77W service only if the demand justifies it. Plans do change and I’m hoping the A380 fleet will stay around longer!
                                Indeed!
                                Some 77Ws have already started to be replaced by A359.
                                I understand that at this point, the A35K is not in SQ plans and all 67 A350s on order are the -900 variant

Comment

Working...
                                X