Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been taken for a ride in a taxi ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been taken for a ride in a taxi ?

Seeing the advice in the new Airport Guides about taxis gave me the idea for this thread - what have been your experiences around the world in licensed taxis ?

I've been pretty fortunate. I may have been overcharged by a small amount from my (but perhaps not a local!) perspective from time to time - irritating but part of the normal costs of travel as I see it - but never burnt badly so far. My most recent experience was in Changsha, Hunan Province, China last month. I jumped into a licensed taxi at the airport and ended up being asked to pay double what I should have - an additional RMB 100 (about US$12) so not the end of the world. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have noticed the warning signs - an official at the taxi rank at the airport handed me through the window a leaflet (probably setting out the prices etc) which the taxi driver grabbed after saying it was for him; the meter was on the floor and not visible; and the driver stopped on the road outside my hotel rather than driving inside.

My other experiences in China have on the whole been positive - I've taken many taxis in Beijing and Shanghai with no problems. The meter is started, an automated voice announces this and a receipt is printed by computer and given to you at the end.

Living in London, the black cabs are perfectly fine and can be trusted, all of whom having passed the Knowledge of London test (which can take 3 years to pass!), having been checked out for any criminal record and subject to continual supervision by the Public Carriage Office. I would never take any of the unlicensed cabs (which may be uninsured and/or driven by people with a criminal record) which hang around clubs etc at night nor accept any offer of a taxi at a train station/airport other than from the official taxi rank.

I also spent a few months living and working in Athens a number of years ago and unless it's changed for the better, found a not insignificant number of the taxi drivers there to be somewhat devious. Luckily, I was warned by colleagues and told the amounts which I should pay to/from the airport etc. I had a number of occasions where I had to argue with the driver (albeit for a few hundred Drachma at times - less than a pound - but it was for the principle!) and even, once or twice after arguing, gave what I thought was reasonable and simply walked out!

From my very limited experiences on holiday, the city with the most scrupulous taxi drivers appears to be - no surprise - Tokyo. I had one experience where the driver circled around the streets several times trying to find a restaurant, phoned up himself to ask and finally refused to accept the full amount shown on the meter which I offered!

The only memorable thing about Singapore taxis which I can think of was my bewilderment the first time I heard an occasional chime whilst we were motoring from the airport towards town!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Living in London, the black cabs are perfectly fine and can be trusted, all of whom having passed the Knowledge of London test (which can take 3 years to pass!), having been checked out for any criminal record and subject to continual supervision by the Public Carriage Office. I would never take any of the unlicensed cabs (which may be uninsured and/or driven by people with a criminal record) which hang around clubs etc at night nor accept any offer of a taxi at a train station/airport other than from the official taxi rank.
    When you leave a club at 5:00 am (because your stamina doesn't allow you to continue on to the after-hours club -- ah, nostalgia) and you just want to get back home, you don't have always have a choice about calling for a black cab. But a few clubs do have a dispatcher vetting the cabs somewhat.

The cab drivers I've distrusted the most have been ones in Bangkok. But in fairness to them, that's only because I don't have to take cabs by myself in Manila. I hate arguing about putting the meter on.

I have overpaid for a cab to JFK, but a letter to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, with a copy of the receipt attached, resulted in an apology and a refund check for the overcharge.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The only memorable thing about Singapore taxis which I can think of was my bewilderment the first time I heard an occasional chime whilst we were motoring from the airport towards town!
      I know--that chime is pretty amusing and a bit bewildering at first. It goes off when the driver is going over the speed limit.

Comment

Since the new BKK airport opened, everytime I took taxi from or to the airport, the driver always wants to charge flat rate, which I declined all the time. But, it's kind of annoying to have to be PITA by telling the driver that I will pay based on the meter as I have asked the bellboy to tell the driver prior to leaving the hotel.

Comment

In Chicago just last week....he even demanded an outrageous amount of tip

Comment

Fortunately no. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's knowing directions and general orientation, even in cities I'm visiting for the first time. Especially in CGK, they try to take me through the "jalan tikus" (telling me it's shorter but usually just to spin me) after hearing my American accent, but I usually tell them the best route and they comply.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
              Fortunately no. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's knowing directions and general orientation, even in cities I'm visiting for the first time. Especially in CGK, they try to take me through the "jalan tikus" (telling me it's shorter but usually just to spin me) after hearing my American accent, but I usually tell them the best route and they comply.
              Hahahaha....is there any "jalan tikus" in CGK (the airport)??? Or u mean in Jakarta?

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                Hahahaha....is there any "jalan tikus" in CGK (the airport)??? Or u mean in Jakarta?
                Both. There are lots of jalan tikus between CGK and Tangerang. And Jakarta isn't Jakarta without jalan tikus.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                  Both. There are lots of jalan tikus between CGK and Tangerang. And Jakarta isn't Jakarta without jalan tikus.
                  You are more familiar with the jakan tikus in JKT than me

Comment

I don't think I have ever been seriously riped off on my travels, but as JHM said I consider a bit of an increase in cost over locals part of the cost of travel.

Admitedly in Jakarta I ripped myself off by giving a taxi driver a 100,000IDR note instead of a 10,000IDR note.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                      Admitedly in Jakarta I ripped myself off by giving a taxi driver a 100,000IDR note instead of a 10,000IDR note.
                      Darn those similiar-looking and colored bills! I always have to double check before I hand the money over. I've become paranoid about it.

Comment

Just happened this morning after I left a SQTalker's hotel.

Surprisingly, the driver admitted his fault and charged me half the fare which I thought is very honest of him.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                          Just happened this morning after I left a SQTalker's hotel.

Surprisingly, the driver admitted his fault and charged me half the fare which I thought is very honest of him.
                          That's what you have to love about London cabbies. I always feel like I'm in trusted hands when I take a black cab in London.

Comment

... although assuming (i) the two hotels were in central London (within a six mile radius of Charing Cross) and not dodgy little known establishments and (ii) the taxi was indeed a black cab, I'm very surprised that a driver with the Knowledge got lost like that!

Comment

... although assuming (i) the two hotels were in central London (within a six mile radius of Charing Cross) and not dodgy little known establishments and (ii) the taxi was indeed a black cab, I'm very surprised that a driver with the Knowledge got lost like that!
                              Oops, I misunderstood SQFAN's post, didn't I? You're right, at that hour, black cabs are unfortunately scarce. That's why I walked home.

Comment

Working...
                              X