Advice please on using KF miles for UA domestic upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please on using KF miles for UA domestic upgrades

Any folks here ever used KF miles to upgrade UA domestic flights? Is it hard to get allotment from economy to first (2 classes only) and is it worth the miles?

The only reason I'm considering is due to a domestic flight time of 5+ hours even though the only difference is a wider and more comfortable seat and free food & booze. Enerertainment is the same crappy stuff.

I've not used KF miles for UA, only BD miles and full redemption where they were connecting flights to/from other long haul *A flights.

I can only assume the upgrade and full redemption comes from the same inventory.
    You can use NH's award tool to find space but based on experience, some routes rarely show space and often its only certain flights if that route was available.

Also, if you're on a Y/B fare (needed for upgrade), the cash value to an A fare may not be very much more

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      I've not used KF miles for UA, only BD miles and full redemption where they were connecting flights to/from other long haul *A flights.

I can only assume the upgrade and full redemption comes from the same inventory.
      You can use NH's award tool to find space but based on experience, some routes rarely show space and often its only certain flights if that route was available.

Also, if you're on a Y/B fare (needed for upgrade), the cash value to an A fare may not be very much more

Thanks 9V-JKL.

I did a check and the allotment is currently on waitlist for both legs and it'll cost a hefty 15,000 miles AND USD225 each way. Think I'll skip as it's not even a sure thing that First class has personal IFE as not all their 737-900s have it.

Comment

Is there no other airline on the route you're going to fly?
        VX & B6 earn KF miles too...albeit they're not Elite miles...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          Is there no other airline on the route you're going to fly?
          VX & B6 earn KF miles too...albeit they're not Elite miles...

Nope, unfortunately there are only UA flights from SFO to MCO.

Comment

Working...
          X