Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Raises Fuel Surcharges

SINGAPORE AIRLINES TO INCREASE FUEL SURCHARGE

As a result of the continued escalation in the price of jet fuel recently, Singapore Airlines will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets issued on or after 26 March 2008.

The new levels will apply to Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights as follows:
    • On regional routes, US$30 (from US$26) per sector, for flights between Singapore and ASEAN countries.

• US$130 (from US$123) per sector, for flights between Singapore and gateways in the United States and Canada on a single-sector basis; and

• US$80 (from US$75) per sector, on all other flights.
    The new surcharge is subject to official approval in some markets, and some local variations may apply where regulatory approvals dictate.

The adjustments will offer only partial relief of higher operating costs arising from increases in the price of jet fuel.

Singapore Airlines will continue to monitor the price of jet fuel and keep the application of the fuel surcharge under active review.

Surprise surprise, I was wondering when it would come... Seriously, they should just raise the fare instead of hiding it in a component called 'fuel surcharge'. Anyone noticed that airfares have not really risen since 2001?

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
      Surprise surprise, I was wondering when it would come... Seriously, they should just raise the fare instead of hiding it in a component called 'fuel surcharge'. Anyone noticed that airfares have not really risen since 2001?
      I have been buying tickets to the same destination (in Y) for over 8 years now and I haven't seen any differences in ticket prices, often it's lower than before. But the surcharges and taxes have gone up from just AUD120-150 to around AUD350.

Regarding the fuel surcharge, I think everyone should expect it to happen sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
        I have been buying tickets to the same destination (in Y) for over 8 years now and I haven't seen any differences in ticket prices, often it's lower than before. But the surcharges and taxes have gone up from just AUD120-150 to around AUD350.

Regarding the fuel surcharge, I think everyone should expect it to happen sooner or later.
        Eight years! See, that does it. Airlines (all of them) should be prevented from lying* with a category called 'fuel surcharge' - they should just reflect what they want to charge in the airfare. Now they are just making award redemptions more expensive through this route, not to mention justifying any price hikes at any moment (they don't have to keep to a 3 month/6 month window anymore)

*When I say lying, I don't mean that they are keeping it a secret from consumers until after ticket issuance (but of course, in another sense, airlines do use this fare-surcharge breakdown for false advertising) - I'm merely displeased with the juxtaposition of the words fuel and surcharge, as if it's natural for people to be 'surcharged' for fuel on an airline ticket (what do you pay for in a fare then?)

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
          Eight years! See, that does it. Airlines (all of them) should be prevented from lying* with a category called 'fuel surcharge' - they should just reflect what they want to charge in the airfare. Now they are just making award redemptions more expensive through this route, not to mention justifying any price hikes at any moment (they don't have to keep to a 3 month/6 month window anymore)

*When I say lying, I don't mean that they are keeping it a secret from consumers until after ticket issuance (but of course, in another sense, airlines do use this fare-surcharge breakdown for false advertising) - I'm merely displeased with the juxtaposition of the words fuel and surcharge, as if it's natural for people to be 'surcharged' for fuel on an airline ticket (what do you pay for in a fare then?)
          With the use of surcharge instead of ticket price, they do not have to pay a percentage of the increase to TAs. And it also doesn't count in the PPS qualification.

Comment

As well as making award redemptions more expensive, another reason why airlines may prefer to use a surcharge rather than incorporate the increase in the fare itself is that corporate discounts may be based on the fare excluding surcharges.

Comment

Yeah - it's that it kicks in with award redemptions that really annoys me.

GAH.

Comment

There are only three sure things in life.. Death, Taxes and Fuel Surcharges.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  There are only three sure things in life.. Death, Taxes and Fuel Surcharges.
                  SQflyergirl...You forgot the fourth constant i.e. PPS Annual Benefit cuts

Comment

Just wondering, why is this surcharge raise not announced on their website yet? 26th is coming :O

(Granted, it seems to be official here http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20080320...h-3c8dc0d.html)
                    Last edited by EWR; 21 March 2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X