Singapore Airlines to raise fuel surcharges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines to raise fuel surcharges

Just in time for the rush of saver tickets starting 8th March...

http://www.businesstraveller.com/asi...uel-surcharges

Everything is planned, no such thing as free lunch in Singapore

Comment

Just check through the surcharge and found that SIN - China need more than US$100 each way. Hong Kong is really lucky as the surcharge is set by HKCAD which is only HK$230 each way(~US$30)!!

Comment

doesnt it range from only $2-$28 per sector depending on distance? why does SIN-china require an additional US100 each way?

Comment

Its about time airlines realize oil is never going to return to prices of 10 yrs ago and just include the price of fuel in the ticket.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

surcharges

why is it that business , first ,economy class are paying different prices for surcharges

Comment

Originally posted by EdDalton View Post
              doesnt it range from only $2-$28 per sector depending on distance? why does SIN-china require an additional US100 each way?
              Please read the ariticle more carefully

You can do a dummy booking on SQ website, for SIN-CAN(150km away from HKG)-SIN, the surcharges are SG$283.6, for SIN-HKG-SIN, the surcharges are SG$75.4

SIN-SZX(50km away from HKG)-SIN on MI also SG283.6

So you can see the difference, and more importantly, the HKG surcharges is the same amount in all classes, but the SQ one would increase if you are in Premium cabin.

One more example, the SIN-HKG-SFO-HKG-SIN route, if you buy it in one ticket, the total surcharges are SG$692.2, but if you split it to SIN-HKG-SIN, HKG-SFO-HKG, the total surcharges would be SG$75.4+SG$344.97=SG$420.37

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                Its about time airlines realize oil is never going to return to prices of 10 yrs ago and just include the price of fuel in the ticket.
                I agree, but if that's the case, they will "loose" money from redemption, whereas presently they still get some money from the "freebies".

Originally posted by ian173
                why is it that business , first ,economy class are paying different prices for surcharges
                Theoretically, that's fair, as F and J carries more weight per seat, and hence consume more fuel, then Y. But of course, one can argue that the pax has already paid for it in the price of the ticket.

With reference to EdDalton and Sutrahk, I too am puzzled as to why the charges are multiple times more expensive in China. While fuel prices differ in different locations due to supply/demand differentials resulting from logistics and other factors, it is not in multiples of say HK's fuel price. I am not an expert in that region, but I presume Chinese Govt taxes may the main culprit - otherwise one would see quick arbitration opportunities to neutralise the differential.

The current round of price increase is of some concern, as it is not as a result of increasing demand, but out of fear of the possibility of supply issues caused by a potential Iranian stand-off. If fear becomes fact, and speculators have their day, then $200 oil will be the news of the day. That will not bode well for world economy, and we will feel the R-word, rather than just read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  I too am puzzled as to why the charges are multiple times more expensive in China. While fuel prices differ in different locations due to supply/demand differentials resulting from logistics and other factors, it is not in multiples of say HK's fuel price. I am not an expert in that region, but I presume Chinese Govt taxes may the main culprit - otherwise one would see quick arbitration opportunities to neutralise the differential.
                  I think the answer lies in HK needing to approve fuel surcharges: By the looks of it, it's pretty standardized.

http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/pdf/Fu...harge-2056.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ian173 View Post
                    Cos if you're in Business or First class, you're rich and you can afford to pay more ... (atypical Singaporean attitude).

Comment

Originally posted by ian173 View Post

Originally posted by singapore airlines
                      "besides the length of the journey, the surcharge levels... Also take into account the class of travel. This is to fairly impute fuel related cost since the space occupied and weight utilised in each class is different."
                           

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        I think the answer lies in HK needing to approve fuel surcharges: By the looks of it, it's pretty standardized.

http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/pdf/Fu...harge-2056.pdf

I was in HK a couple of weeks ago and SQ, CX and KA all had their request for higher fuel surcharges accepted.

Comment

Working...
                        X