Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines Raises Fuel Surcharges (May 07 2008 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Raises Fuel Surcharges (May 07 2008 Edition)

Singapore Airlines To Increase Fuel Surcharge

07 May 2008

As a result of a sustained escalation in the price of jet fuel in recent months, Singapore Airlines will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets issued on or after 12 May 2008.

The price of jet fuel has increased sharply in recent weeks, and is now over US$140 per barrel.

The new levels will apply to Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights as follows:
    • On regional routes, US$35 (up from US$30) per sector, for flights between Singapore and ASEAN countries.
    • US$150 (up from US$130) per sector, for flights between Singapore and gateways in the United States and Canada on a single-sector basis; and
    • US$95 (up from US$80) per sector, on all other flights.
    The new surcharge is subject to official approval in some markets, and some local variations may apply where regulatory approvals dictate.

The adjustments will offer only partial relief of higher operating costs arising from increases in the price of jet fuel.

Singapore Airlines will continue to monitor the price of jet fuel and keep the application of the fuel surcharge under active review.
    Last edited by Singapore_Air; 8 May 2008, 07:19 PM.

I assume for tickets purchased from today forward (as opposed to segments already ticketed/paid)?

Dorian

Comment

is from may 12 onwards. 2 months between rises

im sick of these being surcharges they should be part of the fare.. award travel is getting costly! obviously the price of fuel is not going to drop anytime soon, its about time IATA instructed airlines to make their fares inclusive of fuel charges!
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
        is from may 12 onwards. 2 months between rises

im sick of these being surcharges they should be part of the fare.. award travel is getting costly! obviously the price of fuel is not going to drop anytime soon, its about time IATA instructed airlines to make their fares inclusive of fuel charges!
        Agreed. The fuel surcharge alone is US$300 round trip for a flight between Singapore and North America now, and this affects the 'award' in award travel. It is clearly not honest business.

And doesn't SQ report its profits in SGD? Rising oil prices in USD shouldn't affect it that much!

Comment

Well Qantas bumped up its fares again today (fares - NOT fuel surcharges) with jetfuel at USD166 a barrel. Anyone care to guess when another hike in SQ fuel surcharges will follow? its almost a monthly expectation now

How long can airlines continue to factor in fuel as a surcharge and not part of the 'fare'. Im glad Qantas has seen the light and increased base fares rather than their surcharge. Its about time SQ did the same! IF they dont it wont be long until the 'tax' component of a Australia to Asia fare on SQ is $1000.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Last November i flew with Singapore Airlines from Manchester UK, to Manila having booked my economy tickets 10 months in advance for £625. I recently had a look online for a return fare for March next year and the price i was given was £1,121! So i asked Customer Services why had the fare jumped up so much given that it was 10 months in advance and i was told it was down to taxes and fuel surcharges. The last i flew in a March period i only paid £515 and that was in 2006. As much as i love flying with Singapore Airlines, i can't justify paying this much for an economy seat.

Comment

Working...
            X