Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumour: Special retro livery aircraft coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour: Special retro livery aircraft coming?

Saw this post on Facebook and it mentions the "70 years great way to fly" logo plus a retro livery aircraft coming? anyone else heard about this?

https://www.facebook.com/Airlinehubb...type=3&theater

If one were to place a safe bet, it would probably be on 9V-SKU.

Comment

Should I guess which livery will be painted? Malayan Airways, MSA or first SQ livery? But the problem is, MH will put Malayan Airways or MSA livery or their aircraft as well (They got first MH livery on 9M-MXA).

Comment

Originally posted by GCHaviation View Post
        Should I guess which livery will be painted? Malayan Airways, MSA or first SQ livery? But the problem is, MH will put Malayan Airways or MSA livery or their aircraft as well (They got first MH livery on 9M-MXA).
        My guess is that it may do something like it did for the 50th anniversary in 1997, which is to not modify the livery too much, and include the anniversary titles.

Using the MSA or Malayan Airways colors may potentially involve political sensitivities between Singapore and Malaysia.

Comment

I cannot imagine them doing a Malayan Airways retrojet. Apart from state politics, most people (including Malaysians and Singaporeans) don't know the history of these two states well, let alone the history of their flag carriers. A Malayan Airways plane is going to confuse customers helped least by the fact that the closest thing a layman would associate "Malayan Airways" with is "Malaysia Airlines". To top it off, the latter's brand image is in the gutter now.

Malaysia-Singapore Airlines is irrelevant to the 70th anniversary as that is the successor of the years 1965-1972. On that note, not many realised that another name change happened prior to that. Malayan Airways became Malaysian Airways during the time Singapore was in the federation (1963-1965).

I think they are more likely to do a special livery but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. After looking at the terrible SG50 livery jet, I realised SQ has lost all sense of creativity and innovation...

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
            I think they are more likely to do a special livery but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. After looking at the terrible SG50 livery jet, I realised SQ has lost all sense of creativity and innovation...
            As far as special liveries go, I wouldn't call it lack of creativity as much as aversion. 9V-SPK, was one of the two Tropical Megatops when it crashed as SQ006, and that disaster very likely caused SQ to develop an aversion to special liveries.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
              As far as special liveries go, I wouldn't call it lack of creativity as much as aversion. 9V-SPK, was one of the two Tropical Megatops when it crashed as SQ006, and that disaster very likely caused SQ to develop an aversion to special liveries.
              Well yeah, I would wonder whether the people in control have a different attitude towards historical liveries apart from the general attitude towards soecial liveries. It's possible that the dullness of the SG50 livery was to avoid bad fate befalling the airframe in hindsight.

Comment

As an outsider from Singaporean culture, to me SQ represents consistency, conservative design, functionality, refinement and dignity.

Bright, splashy, "fun" presentation isn't something I would associate with SQ, especially in the age of LCCs and Hello Kitty planes. I especially don't ever want to see the marketing team at TZ get anywhere near an SQ plane! Still getting over their crass Athens promotion...

On the topic of liveries, we haven't seen a new Star Alliance livery since 9V-SWJ which is almost 10 years old, but we've seen a few older ones depart since then. Is it still a requirement to have the white *A planes and is there a quota to be met? I only know of SWI, SWJ and SYL.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  On the topic of liveries, we haven't seen a new Star Alliance livery since 9V-SWJ which is almost 10 years old, but we've seen a few older ones depart since then. Is it still a requirement to have the white *A planes and is there a quota to be met? I only know of SWI, SWJ and SYL.
                  The quota from some 10+ years ago was a min 3% of the international fleet. I don't know if that's still valid today.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                    Malaysia-Singapore Airlines is irrelevant to the 70th anniversary as that is the successor of the years 1965-1972.
                    April 1st 1947 (70th anniversary of SQ) its actually the beginning date of Malayan Airways.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      The quota from some 10+ years ago was a min 3% of the international fleet. I don't know if that's still valid today.
                      If that's still so, they need another one, unless you can "round down" from 3.5, but as they're sitting on about 110, they'd be at the final threshold for a fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by GCHaviation View Post
                        April 1st 1947 (70th anniversary of SQ) its actually the beginning date of Malayan Airways.
                        So that was not SQ!
                        http://www.msn.com/en-sg/money/news/...8Cnr&ocid=iehp

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post

What does this article have to do with SQ liveries? Then again, there is criticism of SQ and Singapore in there, so I'm not suprised you posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post

What does this article have to do with SQ liveries? Then again, there is criticism of SQ and Singapore in there, so I'm not suprised you posted this.
                            Yes, anything even remotely suggesting SQ might be in trouble has someone champing at the bit. Even though in other threads we've all been rationally discussing the pressure on SQ from the ME3 and Chinese carriers for ages, suddenly it's relevant to a thread about special liveries...

Comment

I think that it would be a good idea for both MH and SQ to hold a joint promotion, they after all have the same roots. Something special for the 80th anniversary or 100th anniversary of when Malayan Airways was founded.

Would love to see a retro jet though, even though the public might not really know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X