Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70-Hours Premium Economy offer

Hello everybody,
    I'm a long time reader, first time poster- thanks for all the great info here ! Could anybody help me to understand the exact meaning of the offer I've received by e-mail from Singapore Airlines ? It says:

70-Hours-Upgrade-Special

Book a return flight in Economy Class, and enjoy the one-way sector Zurich-Singapore in Premium Economy Class for a top-up of only CHF 170*.

Available for 70 hours only from 4 January

I am planning a flight to Sydney and return with SQ (ZRH-SIN-SYD) in the next few months with my wife. I am based in Switzerland, so the departure will be from ZRH with SQ345, on an A388. This offer looks perfect for us, but I still don't know how that works… What's a "top-up" ?

Thank you in advance ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was not a KF member when I received this, it was a general newsletter subscription.

Originally posted by chdude View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I'm a long time reader, first time poster- thanks for all the great info here ! Could anybody help me to understand the exact meaning of the offer I've received by e-mail from Singapore Airlines ? It says:

70-Hours-Upgrade-Special

Book a return flight in Economy Class, and enjoy the one-way sector Zurich-Singapore in Premium Economy Class for a top-up of only CHF 170*.

Available for 70 hours only from 4 January

I am planning a flight to Sydney and return with SQ (ZRH-SIN-SYD) in the next few months with my wife. I am based in Switzerland, so the departure will be from ZRH with SQ345, on an A388. This offer looks perfect for us, but I still don't know how that works… What's a "top-up" ?

Thank you in advance ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was not a KF member when I received this, it was a general newsletter subscription.
    Welcome to the forum!

Ok, normally you have to book your return entire journey as Economy or as Premium Economy. The website allows for no combinations.

In this case, they're offering you the ability to book ZRH-SIN return as standard Economy but spend one sector of your trip in Premium for an extra fee. The 70 hour part is the usual marketing strategy trying to get you to make a decision under pressure.

Be aware that your luggage allowance and priority status will be at the normal Economy standard for your entire trip.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation and the good advice, SQ228 ! Another thing is unclear for me, though: there are only 36 seats in Premium Economy, does that mean SQ makes this offer only for 36 passengers ?! On the "first come first served" basis ?

Comment

Thank you for the explanation and the good advice, SQ228 ! Another thing is unclear for me, though: there are only 36 seats in Premium Economy, does that mean SQ makes this offer only for 36 passengers ?! On the "first come first served" basis ?
        That is correct, but remember this is 36 seats every day. Not everyone will be booking to fly on the same day.

Hint- if Premium was booking as well as they had hoped, they wouldn't need this promotional offer. I think they expect to fill all Economy seats and be left with empty Premium seats. If this promotion ends up filling all their Premium seats, they will be a very happy SQ! The more people take up the offer, the more extra Economy bookings they can make.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          That is correct, but remember this is 36 seats every day. Not everyone will be booking to fly on the same day.

Hint- if Premium was booking as well as they had hoped, they wouldn't need this promotional offer. I think they expect to fill all Economy seats and be left with empty Premium seats. If this promotion ends up filling all their Premium seats, they will be a very happy SQ! The more people take up the offer, the more extra Economy bookings they can make.
          All clear now, thank you !
          But will I be allowed to select my seat(s) at time of booking ? Is Premium blocked by SQ, like Economy ? Because I was seeing this offer as a solution to my problem - my wife is a very anxious flyer and she begged me to find 2 seats together, or the 2-4-2 config is only in Premium...

Comment

All clear now, thank you !
            But will I be allowed to select my seat(s) at time of booking ? Is Premium blocked by SQ, like Economy ? Because I was seeing this offer as a solution to my problem - my wife is a very anxious flyer and she begged me to find 2 seats together, or the 2-4-2 config is only in Premium...
            That I can't say for sure because it is an offer after a booking- I don't know how the website will handle it.

If they don't allow you to pick seats for the ZRH-SIN leg, they should allow you to put in a request for aisle or window. If you select window, and there are two of you in the same booking, then that should automatically allocate you to a pair next to a window. Otherwise, phone the booking centre after you've made the full reservation.

Comment

I will do like you said, thank you !
              But what if they change the plane last minute with one that doesn't have Premium Economy ? Will they give me a refund for the extra paid and they will downgrade me to Economy ? So I loose the seats, even if they were assigned by the booking centre ? I feel I'm getting anxious as well, like my wife...
              Last edited by chdude; 3 January 2017, 08:46 AM. Reason: misspelled

Comment

I will do like you said, thank you !
                But what if they change the plane last minute with one that doesn't have Premium Economy ? Will they give me a refund for the extra paid and they will downgrade me to Economy ? So I loose the seats, even if they were assigned by the booking centre ? I feel I'm getting anxious as well, like my wife...
                You don't have to worry about that at all! Every A380 now has a Premium Economy cabin. Once you've booked and paid for it, you will get it.

Comment

You don't have to worry about that at all! Every A380 now has a Premium Economy cabin. Once you've booked and paid for it, you will get it.
                  Oh, great ! But is that for sure ? According to this post http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205289 by FSJZ, 9V-SKM, 9V-SKQ, 9V-SKR, 9V-SKS and 9V-SKT are 3-class, with Seating 1: 12R/86J/311Y and according to flightradar24 they have flown ZRH to SIN as SQ345 Or are you aware of any changes ?

Comment

SQ228 is correct. ALL A380s are now 4-class and have been the last couple of months. So unless something other than an A380 shows up, there WILL be PEY seats

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      SQ228 is correct. ALL A380s are now 4-class and have been the last couple of months. So unless something other than an A380 shows up, there WILL be PEY seats
                      Thank you SQ228 and 9V-JKL ! I see that you, guys, update yourself faster than SQ's own website, where the 3-class A380 map is still there (and on planespotters, too https://www.planespotters.net/airlin...e-Airlines?p=2)

As for the offer mentioned in the top post of this thread, do you have any idea when that actually starts ? It says "from 4 January", but is that Singapore time or Switzerland (Zurich) time ?! How does SQ use to launch its offers ? On the Swiss site I don't see anything yet...

Comment

Usually those emails have a button to click on.

zgiven that the offer is clearly targeted to Swiss travellers, I would check your email tomorrow morning or simply go ahead and try a booking and see if it pops up.

I'll admit that I really don't take much notice of offers- I fly when I want, how I want.

Comment

I'll admit that I really don't take much notice of offers- I fly when I want, how I want.
                          That's great, I'm happy for you ! Indeed, the offer appeared 10 min ago, but it's only valid for outbound from 15 April and that is too late for us to travel. I will try to find 2 seats together before that date, in Economy. Could you, please, tell me how many times I'm allowed to change my seats after booking ? (but before the OLCI, 72 hours before the flight)

Comment

That's great, I'm happy for you ! Indeed, the offer appeared 10 min ago, but it's only valid for outbound from 15 April and that is too late for us to travel. I will try to find 2 seats together before that date, in Economy. Could you, please, tell me how many times I'm allowed to change my seats after booking ? (but before the OLCI, 72 hours before the flight)
                            You can change them as many times as you want by using 'Manage Booking' but you may not get a very wide selection- depends on the flight and how busy it is.

OLCI is at 48 hours, not 72. You can check in but NOT download boarding passes which allows you to keep changing seats prior to a few hours before the flight. Once you download boarding passes the seat selections are fixed. Once OLCI is available, a lot more seats open up that may have been blocked out before.

Comment

Thank you so much for the "tutorial" ! I've never flown that far nor with a connection and I was really lost... didn't know how that worked. I wish you a Happy New Year of flying when you want, how you want !

Comment

Working...
                              X