Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soar like a bird: a Himalayan flight with AI's ATR

Background

The Himalayas is known for its soaring peaks rising almost to a typical airplane cruising altitude and a flight in and out of the region will be an interesting experience whereby one is literally flying through the mountains, sandwiched between soaring peaks like a bird.

This route is also a rare thin route with only a single flight from Delhi each day. For information, little-known Kullu airport (from which the flight in this report departed from) is located in the Kullu valley, a couple of hours before the major tourist town of Manali in northern Himachal Pradesh just before the high passes to the tibetan arid lands of Ladakh.

So it happened that this recent September, which was also my birthday , I and a couple of friends put up a camping trip into the Great Himalayan National Park – a little known corner of paradise that even most Indian tourists hardly ever heard of. It was an amazing trip, and also a spiritual awakening for me after a hiatus of 13 years from the mountains. I went up by jeep which is how most people travel, and I flew back because I thought it would be an interesting experience although on a per kilometre basis, I think I paid the most expensive economy fare in the country (some USD250 for a 500km one-way hop).

The Flight

Number: AI 9806 (9I 806)
    Seat: 1A
    Class: Economy
    Load: 25/70 (35%)

My journey started in the valleys just before sunrise to catch my 815am flight.

It was a gorgeous morning whereby we drove alongside a river. It was mixed emotion for me as in the preceding few days, I thought I was in paradise, and now reality started creeping back.

We also passed through a gorge.

And then a tunnel.

After the tunnel, we entered a relatively broad Kullu valley where the airport is located.

Signpost to the airport

There is only a single flight a day, so most of the time the airport is gated closed.

A quiet drop off porch. I think I was just the 3rd or 4th passenger to arrive. This was 1.5 hours before scheduled departure.

There is no need for flight information board here as there is only a single flight per day. And check-in is at this single check-in counter. How simple and straight forward.

There is practically nothing here. And I was hungry!

There is a VIP lounge to which nobody seems to have any access to since the ATR flight has no business class. I am a Star Gold but in any case, the check-in counter was not open yet.

Its furnishing is rather basic. I guess this must be only for politicians and celebrities, and I think mainly for the former. But then again, these people will only come at the last minute (or late!)

A shop? How on earth do they survive with a single flight per day and just 20-30 pax each time? Anyway, I didn’t recall the shop actually opened that day.

After a while, there was a small ‘commotion’. So that was Salman Khan, a Bollywood celebrity. I am not a fan so I didn’t bother to come closer. But it was a break from the quietness of the airport.

Check in counter opened an hour prior to the flight and after obtaining my boarding pass, I got into the waiting hall which definitely has more interesting views.

Salman Khan’s plane (No, he didn’t fly commercial as initially I thought he would be on our flight…) and a military helicopter in the background.

The incoming AI flight was delayed. It’s quite common in these parts due to foggy mornings. I was tracking it and notice how it made loops to land into the linear valley.

As the ATR landed, Salman’s plane headed out to take-off. What a rather grand view with the mountain backdrop.

After Salman’s plane, it was the helicopter’s turn to take off.

After some 20-30 minutes, it was our turn to board. And in such a small airport, one just walks to the plane. And what a glorious view and experience it was.

Comment

It was a light load with just 25 passengers (as informed by the friendly FA whom I chatted).

And seats were surprisingly new. I was expecting an old dilapidated aircraft similar to the one I took from Pondy to Bangalore last year.

I was seated on my emex row 1 and enjoyed my last few moments being in the Himalayas.

We made our way towards the runway an hour behind schedule.

This looks like their control “tower”

We made a 180 degree turn at the end of the runway.

And shortly after, we were racing down the runway in between mountains.

Video of take off here. I was trying to play with different angles and ooops, it feels more like the plane is doing sommersault – or crashes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Xkk2uJNVE

For the first 20-25 minutes or so, we were more or less level with the mountains.

Video is clearly showing how we are flying through the mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6slqe_bTSk

And then the flight took a 360 degree loop to altitude to exit the valley and then we were at cruising altitude towards Delhi. And this was my last view of the Great Himalayas (for now! Because I will for sure be back soon).

Comment

The Great Mountains

Of course this trip, for me, is mainly about my trekking/camping ventures into the Himalayas and not so much of the flight, and I am happy to share these pics here as well. It’s a little known part of the range, and throughout the 4-5 days we were there, we didn’t meet any other trekkers – only shepherds, lots of cattle, goats, sheep, eagles, and of course the billion stars in the skies. I shall let the pictures mostly speak for themselves.

The first day was spent at lower altitude in the valleys which was pretty much populated along the rivers. But despite so, I thought this was paradise (at least for me!).

It was steep switchbacks up the slope of the mountain to reach the end of the road in a village called Pekhri.

From there, it was a day’s walk to our first stop in a meadow called Rangthar.

Which was an amazing spot and I can’t get enough of this grand view outside my tent every morning despite the cold.

But the final destination was another meadow another day’s walk which was even more isolated with an even better view.

I look at these peaks every moment in awe!

But wait till night falls and we see the billions of stars in the skies (credit: yashank chopra).

And every morning when we feel so small amidst all the grandness of nature. (credit: yashank chopra).

Yoga was our staple. And nothing is more perfect than practising here.

Last edited by SQueeze; 26 November 2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

We really had lots of fun 

And made lots of friends including with these adorable creatures

One of the days, i also made a trip to the high pass about 4000 m.

and even in not so good weather, it was an incredible experience to watch the clouds roll below

I am going to miss the Great Mountains soon!

Comment

What an amazing camping trip...the scenery (And the flight) look stunning! Thanks for posting, SQueeze!

Comment

Very nice TR, SQueeze! I would imagine the astrophotography would even be more beautiful between April and September when the Milky Way becomes visible in the northern hemisphere!

Since you didn't mention it, I presume you didn't have any problems with the thinness of the air.

Comment

Great TR SQueeze. Even I do yoga leisurely and at one point the class i used to go to is planning a trip around here for Spring. Even then I still enjoy doing it at home and elsewhere. Unfortunately I cannot do a headstand sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  What an amazing camping trip...the scenery (And the flight) look stunning! Thanks for posting, SQueeze!
                  yflyer, Thanks. my photographs don't even do the place justice. When it comes to the Great Mountains, the scale cannot be captured. Only when one is inside it, will feel how big everything is and how small we are. I went to so many other places like the Rockies and all that and they all feel small. Because even the valleys in the Himalayas can be 5000-6000 m deep which is deeper than entire mountains elsewhere.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  Very nice TR, SQueeze! I would imagine the astrophotography would even be more beautiful between April and September when the Milky Way becomes visible in the northern hemisphere!

Since you didn't mention it, I presume you didn't have any problems with the thinness of the air.
                  Carbonman, thanks

Our astrophotography was not perfect. Need special resilience also to stand in the freezing cold. The Milky Way was there every night and I was bowled over since it was also the first time I saw it - crystal clear with naked eyes. And the experience of looking up at dinner time, by the bonfire, was priceless. More pictures of Milky Way below.

For thin air, it was not my first time. I used to climb 6000m+ peaks in my younger days. So my limits are higher. It was thin and I was huffing and puffing still but not anywhere close to the "pain" and challenges above 6000m.

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  Great TR SQueeze. Even I do yoga leisurely and at one point the class i used to go to is planning a trip around here for Spring. Even then I still enjoy doing it at home and elsewhere. Unfortunately I cannot do a headstand sorry.
                  SQfanatic

I found the breathing exercises even tougher at this altitude. When we have to hold our breaths or breathe through alternate nostrils.... it was quite some suffering .... more than headstands!

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                    SQfanatic

I found the breathing exercises even tougher at this altitude. When we have to hold our breaths or breathe through alternate nostrils.... it was quite some suffering .... more than headstands!

When I first did the nostril thing, it took me a while to get used to. I guess for me it may not suit at higher altitudes, but I'm in my 20's and don't have an issue giving it a try one day.

After a few months, the nostril thing isn't too bad, but the headstand thing, I don't think I am able to do it even after several months of practice :/

Comment

Working...
                    X