CAAS issues rules to address MH370

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAAS issues rules to address MH370

SINGAPORE-BASED airlines will have to comply with two new safety requirements that are expected to be in place in less than five years. Both rules aim to avoid a recurrence of what happened to Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 more than two years ago.

The first is that local carriers have to implement means to "recover flight recorder data in a timely manner", a Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) spokeswoman said in a response to BT queries.

The second requires them to equip planes with a "distress tracking system to autonomously transmit position information at least once every minute when in distress".
    http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/tran...tress-tracking

Interesting that it is Singapore's CAAS which is introducing this regulation.

I would have thought that someone like the FAA, or the European or Australian authorities would be the first.

Thumbs up to CAAS. I suspect that the technology for this is available now, and that it is only the cost and perceived ROI of developing this functionality that is causing the industry to drag its feet.

Comment

Cost is definitely a factor and the infrastructure needs to be in place. Typical with government assistance. But really need the entire industry globally for it to work.

Hate to see different standards or system across the globe.

One consideration though is coverage. While a solution can encompass the proposed route but in the case of MH370 is flew out to where no commercial path existed and I think having coverage to non common routes may end up being quite tricky to implement.

Will wait and see how this works out.

Comment

Working...
      X