Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KF Renewal

Hi all

I'm new in this forum and have enjoyed reading all the blogs and post. I have an inquiry here with regards to KF Renewal. Currently, I'm in Elite Silver expiring on 30 June 2016. I have re-qualified for this as I have amassed 25,567 miles and I noticed by Gold qualification is currently 31,315, in which I need another 18,685 miles to qualify by 31 May 2016. The question I have is, will all these 31k miles be wiped out upon my Silver renewal in July. I have a potential 13k miles as I will be travelling to Azerbaijan on *Alliance in June. I do not want to credit them in and realize that this will be wiped out instantly.
    Your wise response on my predicament is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Originally posted by carhartt79 View Post
    Hi all

I'm new in this forum and have enjoyed reading all the blogs and post. I have an inquiry here with regards to KF Renewal. Currently, I'm in Elite Silver expiring on 30 June 2016. I have re-qualified for this as I have amassed 25,567 miles and I noticed by Gold qualification is currently 31,315, in which I need another 18,685 miles to qualify by 31 May 2016. The question I have is, will all these 31k miles be wiped out upon my Silver renewal in July. I have a potential 13k miles as I will be travelling to Azerbaijan on *Alliance in June. I do not want to credit them in and realize that this will be wiped out instantly.
    Your wise response on my predicament is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Hi carhartt79!

Welcome to SQTalk!

For Elite qualification the counter is reset every 12 months, with the exact month depending on when you joined Krisflyer. In your case, it looks like your period for requalification ends on 31 May 2016.

So if you want to hit Gold, you must deposit those miles and reach 50K qualification miles before 31 May 2016, otherwise you will start from zero from a qualification perspective. If you deposit them after 31 May, then they will count for next year's qualfication period, not the current year.

Note that the elite qualification miles are not "wiped out" in that they are never deducted -- they will remain in your account for your redemption. Only the counter for elite qualification is reset to 0. The miles are still yours.

Hope this info helps!

Comment

Thanks yflyer. Looks like my doubts are true then. Most likely I will credit the miles after "the reset"

Comment

I have a similar question. So I needed 4600 miles to qualify for Elite Gold. I recently flew sectors that earned 5500 miles, taking me across the threshold. However, my Elite Gold requalification counter is now 0. Shouldn't it be 900 miles balance, as that amount was excess after qualifying for gold? Or does it not count extra miles earned on a single sector?
        Thanks.
        Fly well,
        Travel safe,
        And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Haha I had the same situation with you. I lost quite a number of miles upon attaining gold.

The last flight that is used to attain the gold status will not carry the balance forward. Example if you have 49,999 elite miles if your next flight is worth 10,000 miles you won't carry forward the 9,999 miles your balance will be zero.

After you have attained gold the future elite miles will be stored towards your next renewal. Depending on the balance miles required for one to attain gold, sometime you may contact SIA to upgrade you first as a special request.

Example if you have 49,500 miles and your next flight gives you 3000 miles you could special request that SIA upgrade you to gold before your flight so that your next 3000 miles be carried forward to your next renewal.

Please note this is only a special request and it is not guaranteed nor expected

Comment

As far as I know, there is no way to "store" miles for Krisflyer Silver/Gold status.

The miles for status calculation should be based on the date the flight was flown, not the date they are credited.

In other words, if your Krisflyer status miles accrual period ends on May 31st, and a new Krisflyer status accrual year starts on June 1st, then it means that if your flight took place on May 31st or earlier, then the miles will go towards status calculation in the previous year. If the flight took place on 1st June or later, then it will go towards the next accrual year.

I have never had miles beyond 50K appear in the next accrual year for next year's status. It starts from zero from the next accrual year...

Comment

Yes they don't get stored. But in this case for SQ747 as per mine previously it is new qualification and not renewal so upon getting newly qualified KF gold all trips after this qualification should be entered for the next cycle of requalification.

Well there is also timing and planning considerations and how exchange scenario folds so it's really a case by case situation and that's why we should always plan out our memberships strategically to suit our purpose and way of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                Yes they don't get stored. But in this case for SQ747 as per mine previously it is new qualification and not renewal so upon getting newly qualified KF gold all trips after this qualification should be entered for the next cycle of requalification.

Well there is also timing and planning considerations and how exchange scenario folds so it's really a case by case situation and that's why we should always plan out our memberships strategically to suit our purpose and way of travel.
                I think the way the status counter works (At least for KF Silver/Gold) is that the miles are calculated within the single accrual year. As far as I know, there is no concept of keeping the miles for the next accrual year's status calculation, whether for new status or renewal. If there is, it would be great, but I have not seen it happen in my account.

The only "bonus" I have seen is that if you become a new Gold halfway through one year, then your Gold is valid for the next year as well, so you get the remaining half of the existing year as Gold, plus the next full year as Gold. But to keep Gold, you need to accumulate 50K in the next year. Anything you do in the remaining half year doesn't count as far as status is concerned.

The only way to tweak your qualification is to decide when you fly, and ensure that the date you flew is in the accrual year that you want.

All this is from an end-user perspective of course...maybe someone should post this question on SQ's own FB page, or call KF membership services to get an authoritative answer. At least for Silver/Gold they should be able to give you a straight answer. For PPS Value, they may be a little more evasive...

Comment

What happens if my KFEG membership year ends in Jan 2017... And I fly the required 50,000 miles in say August?

Do the miles I earn from Aug 2016 to Jan 2017 count for anything?

Does my membership year for KGEG change to August now?

Comment

Originally posted by carhartt79 View Post
                    Thanks yflyer. Looks like my doubts are true then. Most likely I will credit the miles after "the reset"
                    I remember asking about whether this 'hack' would work a while back, and the response was an almost unanimous no. I ended up not trying it.

It might be worth a shot though. If you do try it, let us know how it goes, but don't be surprised if the attempt to circumvent the end of your renewal period doesn't pan out.

Originally posted by Chucksta View Post
                    What happens if my KFEG membership year ends in Jan 2017... And I fly the required 50,000 miles in say August?

Do the miles I earn from Aug 2016 to Jan 2017 count for anything?

Does my membership year for KGEG change to August now?
                    You keep the award miles, but your elite/tier miles basically evaporate. Your membership year does not change.

Comment

Then there is no point in me flying SQ? I should just wait until later in the year.... And just fly other airlines now like OneWorld?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucksta View Post
                        Then there is no point in me flying SQ? I should just wait until later in the year.... And just fly other airlines now like OneWorld?
                        Any excess miles after your 50k miles clocked within your qualifying period is of no value for Gold renewal. It goes to your miles bank but nothing toward your KFEG renewal anymore.

Yes - you might as well clock other frequent flyer program for your other flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post
                          Any excess miles after your 50k miles clocked within your qualifying period is of no value for Gold renewal. It goes to your miles bank but nothing toward your KFEG renewal anymore.

Yes - you might as well clock other frequent flyer program for your other flights.
                          Not necessarily. You might still find banking your miles with SQ to be more valuable because you want to be able to use those miles for redemption. Bear in mind that it is generally quite difficult to redeem premium class tickets on SQ using miles from other *A carriers.

That point, to me, is especially compelling when the excess miles you'd fly above 50k isn't enough to earn elite status on another airline. Not to mention that I'm not really sure what I'd do with a second *G card, but I suppose they do have their uses in very specific sets of circumstances.

Also, it seems to defeat the purpose of having a *G card when you switch to OW as soon as you earn one.

However, it does seem like Chucksta cares a lot about elite qualification (excessively so, if you ask me), so in his case I guess the advice makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                            Not necessarily. You might still find banking your miles with SQ to be more valuable because you want to be able to use those miles for redemption. Bear in mind that it is generally quite difficult to redeem premium class tickets on SQ using miles from other *A carriers.

That point, to me, is especially compelling when the excess miles you'd fly above 50k isn't enough to earn elite status on another airline. Not to mention that I'm not really sure what I'd do with a second *G card, but I suppose they do have their uses in very specific sets of circumstances.

Also, it seems to defeat the purpose of having a *G card when you switch to OW as soon as you earn one.

However, it does seem like Chucksta cares a lot about elite qualification (excessively so, if you ask me), so in his case I guess the advice makes sense.
                            Dont quite agreed with you - in a polite way

If you ever tried to redeem KF miles for travel trips, you will know that there is always limited seats allocated by SQ for travelers using KF miles or they want ALOT of miles from you to the extend, you might as well buy direct on their website.

An alternative miles accumulation on OW for flight redemption can be good as an alternative to SQ.

Comment

Don't want to disagree but........

I just requalified for Gold on my last flight, one month ahead of my membership year finishing. Today my elite miles have been reset to Zero. So, with six weeks to go, my year has been reset early.

Comment

Working...
                              X