Malaysia Airlines reactivating 747-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaysia Airlines reactivating 747-400

MAB is reintroducing at least one B747-400 into their fleet to cover for the A380s undergoing heavy maintenance. Best part is that it will don a retro livery!

Pictures from HKADB:

Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

I thought they had more A380's than they needed?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
      I thought they had more A380's than they needed?
      They run a pretty much year round set of charters to Jeddah and Medina (either for the Umrah season or the Hajj season proper) so that takes up the slack.

Comment

Malaysia Airlines B747-4H6 (9M-MPP) "Retro"

Photo: Firdaus Sinichi Mansor

Comment

Beautiful...

Comment

I can't help but wonder the costs of doing this.

1. The cost of re activating the aircraft.
            2. Support & parts etc
            3. The fuel used.
            4. Crew
            5. Having such a small fleet causing other operation issues.

Is it all worth it?

Comment

I guess they will utilise the tech crew from their cargo division. I believe they still do have 2 747-400Fs.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                I guess they will utilise the tech crew from their cargo division. I believe they still do have 2 747-400Fs.
                Bingo. MPR hasn't flown in a while, but MPS has, and the tech crews are still around, as are the parts and engineering bits.

Comment

Absolutely stunning. Somehow retro liveries always look so great on the B744.

Comment

MEDIA RELEASE

Malaysia Airlines celebrates its place as Malaysias national carrier with the Boeing 747-400 Sepang,

5 April 2016
                    Malaysia Airlines is pleased to announce the re-commissioning of our B747-400 aircraft inspired by the airlines original livery. The retro livery, on the super jumbo of its time, reflects the airline's long and illustrious history as the national carrier. The newly liveried aircraft, bringing the spirit of Malaysia Airlines's proud history to local communities, will be flying selected domestic destinations from April. The original livery features a retro logo, the Kelantan wau bulan or moon kite in a red circle represents a controlled flight giving an impression of movement. The wau bulan, which is Exclusively Malaysian, is also an expression of the many mythologies associated with the country. Paul Simmons, Chief Commercial Officer of Malaysia Airlines said, The Queen of the Skies will be making its debut with Malaysia Airlines soon to celebrate the airline's illustrious past as the nations flag bearer. The retro livery has proven to be a hit with our guests, and they will be able to spot the 1970 livery, this time on the B747. Moving forward, the retro livery aircraft will be used as an operational spare aircraft to be assigned on an ad hoc basis to destinations, as and when required.

Comment

This retro livery looks great. If you had told me this was new livery, I would have believed you. I prefer this to the current livery!

Comment

First scheduled international flight is MH004/01JUN16 (KUL-LHR).

Comment

What about the interior? Are they going to update the seats?
                          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Not one of my favourite aircraft, but I'll concede that she does look mighty fine. So retro, that it actually looks modern - must be a winner.

I may have to keep any open on 1st June.

Comment

It had an inauspicious return to service (well on a positioning flight anyway) yesterday when it got towed back to the Hangar with an ACARS problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X