New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQA350 View Post
    Here is a link to my just uploaded slideshow, of Wednesdays inaugural service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmM6_V9VoE

Here is a video (not mine) of Wednesday nights take off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmM6_V9VoE

With daylight savings starting tomorrow morning 2amNZST, the departure time moved to 2115NZDST, and the latest time the sunsets in Wellington over summer is 2057NZDST and that from between 29th December 2016 and 9th January 2017. This will be the best time for maximum light for viewing the take off.

Cheers to all!
    both links are the same

Comment

• Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
      both links are the same
      Problem fixed, apologies!

Comment

• I flew SIN-CBR on J redemption last night. Just my thoughts, not a TR.

As a Canberra resident, it was very very convenient, enough to outweigh the very outdated hard product and supper only meal service. It's a real shame that SQ can get away with such a poor overall product, but I wasn't complaining. Transiting via MEL/BNE/ADL is a pain, SYD even worse.

Flight time SIN-CBR is very convenient - I went straight to work this morning. Canberra airport is small, clean, modern, efficient and overstaffed. This 4-per-week service is the only international one, so the airport is always prepared for the arrival and there is no competition for the 1 gate configured for international flights. We got Express passes, but didn't need them as they only opened L1, and there are about 6 immigration desks for 1 aircraft. If you're in J class, you'll likely make it to the luggage belt before your luggage. Wife and I had three large pieces between us, they came out quickly, customs was very fast too. I didn't time it, but plane door open to departing in a taxi would have been about 15 mins, which is impressive.

I feel the supper service is poor, a couple of uninspiring choices for main course, and so far as I could see, no starter or dessert. I think they should offer a more complete meal for those who want it, with the option of an express service for those who want a quick bite. This is how it is done on many transatlantic redeyes on full service carriers, which are similar in distance, aircraft type, timings, and timezone difference.

Not the airline's fault, but I had a fellow passenger behind me take the supper meal and spend the next 20-30 minutes scraping and crashing his cutlery on every bite, quite loudly and furiously. It was very inconsiderate, maddening, almost made me wish for plastic cutlery as I tried to sleep. He slept through the breakfast service, I was tempted to return the favour, perhaps while standing over his seat. Breakfast wakeup 2 hours before could also be improved, to maximise sleep.

J hard product is not up to scratch for this market, but that's what happens when you have a monopoly on a route, especially one the airlines is effectively trialing.

Load seemed high in J and Y, but that's to be expected at this time of year - a lot of returning holidaymakers.

Also flying WLG-CBR in Y in March, will report my thoughts then.
        Last edited by thelongroad; 16 January 2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
          Not the airline's fault, but I had a fellow passenger behind me take the supper meal and spend the next 20-30 minutes scraping and crashing his cutlery on every bite, quite loudly and furiously. It was very inconsiderate, maddening, almost made me wish for plastic cutlery as I tried to sleep. He slept through the breakfast service, I was tempted to return the favour, perhaps while standing over his seat. Breakfast wakeup 2 hours before could also be improved, to maximise sleep.
          I had similar experiences on an SQ red-eye flight. After most of the meal trays were collected, some late-eaters started to play with their cultery by clashing the metal cultery together, making noises that sounded like sword fighting. Really rude and inconsiderate for passengers (including myself) that are trying to sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
            I feel the supper service is poor, a couple of uninspiring choices for main course, and so far as I could see, no starter or dessert. I think they should offer a more complete meal for those who want it, with the option of an express service for those who want a quick bite. This is how it is done on many transatlantic redeyes on full service carriers, which are similar in distance, aircraft type, timings, and timezone difference.
            Could you have Booked the Cook?

Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
            Breakfast wakeup 2 hours before could also be improved, to maximise sleep.
            It's so strange that for a customer service oriented airline SQ insists on starting breakfast service so early before arrival, compared to other airlines.

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
              It's so strange that for a customer service oriented airline SQ insists on starting breakfast service so early before arrival, compared to other airlines.
              In Y, SQ's overnight flights to SYD/MEL/BNE for years involved waking up pax 2 hours before arrival to serve a continental breakfast consisting of fruits, an ice-cold muffin, and a rock-hard bread roll. This is so inconvenient when you see that the flight is only about 7 hours long, and dinner was served only about 3-4 hours earlier. This needlessly affected sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                In Y, SQ's overnight flights to SYD/MEL/BNE for years involved waking up pax 2 hours before arrival to serve a continental breakfast consisting of fruits, an ice-cold muffin, and a rock-hard bread roll. This is so inconvenient when you see that the flight is only about 7 hours long, and dinner was served only about 3-4 hours earlier. This needlessly affected sleep.
                That's terrible.
                For me, nothing is more important than sleep on my 6-hour red-eyes to Tokyo, skipping the entire meal service altogether. All I'd have is a glass of wine at the start of the flight.

What I do is to call out the IFS at the start of the flight and tell him/her not to wake me up when they do any of their rounds). I'm probably also blessed to be able to sleep easily on planes.

On another note, I read this morning that "Canberra Airport lobbies for fifth Singapore Airlines (weekly) flight"

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                  Could you have Booked the Cook?
                  I did (see post in Deliciously Wholesome thread). Comment mentioned the uninspiring choices but was more about the whole service. I've had supper service in F and thought it was good - still plenty of food, choices and multiple courses. I just think if I paid full price J (J round trip fares ex Aus are not cheap), and boarded hungry and not tired, I'd have been very disappointed. Add that to the uncompetitive J hard product and dated IFE, overall it's really only attractive because it's the only non-stop option on this route. That's enough for me, and for many others. But there is a substantial cohort amongst the target market for this route of J-flying CBR-based public servants who like the product and good treatment they get from QF, as well as more options for flight times, and will be willing to connect to get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    They still do. Did SQ237 last week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
                      They still do. Did SQ237 last week.
                      More than once on SQ227 I've slept through that service in Y completely.

I definitely don't want to wake up at 4.30 MEL time for some fruit and a most-correctly described "ice-cold muffin", especially given that I try to stay up the entire day to get back into my timezone.

On SQ237 I can understand it a little more, especially during daylight savings, but they should really then reduce the first meal to a quick, light supper and make the breakfast the larger meal. Sometimes the lights don't go out for 2.5 hours. 7-2.5-2=2.5 hours sleep!

Comment

• Just press the DND button and you will get a full 7 hours sleep, this is what i always did on SQ231. I had a full meal at SKL prior boarding, and went to sleep after take off, and be woken up prior landing, arriving as fresh.

Comment

• Singapore Airlines to review Singapore to Canberra to Wellington route

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...-route/8371370

Hmmm......

Comment

• It was always going to be a difficult venture but SQ have said too many positive things to indicate they plan to cull it just yet. I wonder if they are as satisfied with the demand for J as they had hoped, which was mostly their reason for choosing the SQ/SR series 772s. I'm also wondering if an A350 could make things a lot more economical?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              It was always going to be a difficult venture but SQ have said too many positive things to indicate they plan to cull it just yet. I wonder if they are as satisfied with the demand for J as they had hoped, which was mostly their reason for choosing the SQ/SR series 772s. I'm also wondering if an A350 could make things a lot more economical?
                              I believe Boeing 787-8 would make this route a lot more economical by transferring it to Scoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                                I believe Boeing 787-8 would make this route a lot more economical by transferring it to Scoot.
                                The idea was to capitalise (excuse the pun) on government-based travel, much of which was said to be J class. Whether this has actually transpired, I don't know, but that was the reason for selecting 772s with plenty of J seats rather than the A330.

Comment

Working...
                                X